Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can someone identify these rims?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I asked before and I was told that the first one is a riviera, I have seen the second one advertise here before as riviera as well, are they both rivieras? Notice on the two tone, the black part is raised. ??? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Riviera.
914werke
1st isnt a Riv its a VW wheel I forget what they call it ...check TheSamba
The 2nd is a Riv copy, w/a VW offset. Note the dbl lip rim. Different from an actual Riv w/the square edge rim like the 1st wheel & with the correct Porsche offset.
Tom_T
The top pic has the flat-angled rim of the original Rivieras, but lacks the raised shiny area on the spokes - so I'm not sure if that's a late or early original Riv production run. The smooth rims required that only stick-on weights be used for balancing.

The lower pic has the rim with the lip for for clamp-on weights which denotes it's one of the later non-original-Riviera wheels.

All Rivs & repops of same were never OE on 914s, but were the popular wheel for a 5 lug/spoke look without having to change the 4-lug hubs on 914/4s & were therefore very popular on 914s back in the day.

Here are 2 pix of the original Rivieras on my 73 914-2.0 since sometime before I bought it from the OO in Nov-Dec 75. Note the smooth rims, the satin/flat black painted & rough-surfaced spokes with shiny raised trapazoidal area on the spokes & the original Rivera center cap with interlocking stylized "Rs" logo.

Also note that these were the far less common brushed aluminum version - as opposed to the more common polished ones, which looked cool but are a PITA to keep looking semi-shiny as new! So they're not heavily oxidized in the pic, but just a softer brushed aluminum look.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
^ note that there is plenty of space between the tire & rear fender in the pic above, so this has the proper 914 offset, whereas Western Wheels & many EMPIs, etc. have the VW offset & the tire only has about 1/4" - 1/2" of space to the fender lip.

Hope this helps clear it up a bit for you, even if I can't say what the top one of your pix is for sure.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
r_towle
I have both.
They are rivieras, both first version and second
sixnotfour
They were originally made for the Riviera Motors of Oregon owned Volkswagen Dealerships in 1968 and later made available to all US VW Dealers as part of the Formula Vee range - listed as the 'GT Mag Type'.

Paul can you weigh that wheel for us ? Thanks Jeff
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
dlkawashima
More info on the G.T. Mag Type wheel here
sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif
914itis
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 13 2011, 03:35 AM) *

They were originally made for the Riviera Motors of Oregon owned Volkswagen Dealerships in 1968 and later made available to all US VW Dealers as part of the Formula Vee range - listed as the 'GT Mag Type'.

Paul can you weigh that wheel for us ? Thanks Jeff

Jeff they weight about 13 lbs with a patent number d215507

What do they worth? Anyone interesting?
sean_v8_914
none of the advertising samples have the raised square
sixnotfour
none of the advertising samples have the raised square

Because he was asking about the GT/formula Vee wheel not the later produced Riviera that was a modernized knock off.

Paul , your's is the thin lip which was the production model for VWoA, The early Thick Lip wheels made for Riviera Motors intially
were magnesium with a fatter lip.

What they worth ?

I don't know ?

225 for 4
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1166684
schreiber
I'm going to bump an old thread here. I want to confirm that what I have is an aftermarket Riviera, as opposed to the original VW mag. Thoughts? I still need to measure backspacing, but just wanted to check in before hunting a couple more of these. (The teener I bought has 2 Rivieras and 2 star steelies - an ugly mismatch).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.