Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ministry of Transportation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clow
During the summer I got a roller from a local member. (For my V8 conversion) After being away at university I finally got a chance today on Christmas break to go get the title changed and switched over. So I went in and showed the ownership and the lady said she couldn't transfer it because the car was over 20 years old and it needed an appraisal. I said the car is going in my name as unfit and won't be in the road for a few years, it doesn't even have an engine! She wouldn't budge on that and talked to her manager. (She was a friend of mine and really tried to help so I was calm) I mentioned last year about the same time I brought an ownership in for another 914 and paid the taxes on the cost of the car so I had the same intentions today. I guess since the last car was from out of province last time it was missed during the transfer.
To make a long story short I need to get an appraisal on a car with no motor or parts just to pay the government the TAX from the appraisal. headbang.gif
Currently its barely worth scrape! (Worth more to me specificity of course)

Sorry, just had to vent and give a tale how the government is screwing us over...on another thing.....

Clow
balljoint
You should be able to get an appraisal from any shop for around $75.00. Mikes 914s did mine but I would think that a "bill of sale" would work to prove the value for you. Here is a piece of paper with the sellers name and address and phone number and a value of $100.00. Here is my $13.00 HST.
clow
QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 12 2011, 08:11 PM) *

You should be able to get an appraisal from any shop for around $75.00. Mikes 914s did mine but I would think that a "bill of sale" would work to prove the value for you. Here is a piece of paper with the sellers name and address and phone number and a value of $100.00. Here is my $13.00 HST.

Thats what I was hoping! She explained it was because it was over 20 years old though... didn't even ask to see the bill of sale. I find that hard to believe. I guess I can't complain I looked into an appraisal for my finished car and that was about $125 because he would have to come to my place and look at it.
I never thought of Mikes 914. I take it he would have to see the car though or would just pictures work? Just happens I will be on the 401 going past next week.
76-914
Hey, when you get tired of being screwed by the Canadian Gov come on down to the states. Pick any state. It doesn't matter. Our Uncle Sam will find you and screw your socks off. lol-2.gif That is unless you are rich. In which case, Uncle Sam would like to give you some money that will be extracted from some poor middle class bum. chair.gif The great thing about our system is that it provides a very secure, well paying job with heavenly perks for the life of the politician. Unless you happen to end up on an FBI wire tap openly soliciting a bribe, you are above the law. Pecker gets out of your pants? No problem. There is a spin for that. Caught in a lie or multiple lies. Again, no problem. Infidelity is the norm. Even if your wife is on her death bed. confused24.gif Any freshman Senate aid could put a spin on this one. In fact you can lie and cheat, lay low for 20+ years and re-emerge as a GOP front runner. At least your Government cares enough for it's citizens to allow for their health care needs. beerchug.gif I'm finished.
balljoint
QUOTE(clow @ Dec 12 2011, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Dec 12 2011, 08:11 PM) *

Thats what I was hoping! She explained it was because it was over 20 years old though... didn't even ask to see the bill of sale. I find that hard to believe. I guess I can't complain I looked into an appraisal for my finished car and that was about $125 because he would have to come to my place and look at it.
I never thought of Mikes 914. I take it he would have to see the car though or would just pictures work? Just happens I will be on the 401 going past next week.

I have always found Mike to be very accommodating. Give him a call and I'm sure he will look after you.

Hey maybe you could weigh the car and get a quote from a scrapyard? smile.gif
clow
I have only been there once but Mike is a good guy with a sweet stash of parts. Wish I could stop in more but that means more $$ spent. Its a 2.5 hour trip from here but I have to make a quick trip to Oshawa for school and I might be able to stop in.

As harsh as that sounds that is a really good idea!

Wait a minute..they wouldn't charge for a quote and the $100 I save I could spend at Mikes....hmm.... idea.gif this whole day is turning a little better than I thought!
Mark Henry
A body shop here does it for $25 (IIRC) for a simple non-op car of little real value. He'll work with you but he won't lie. You should be able to find a shop near you. Did they recommend a shop? Our licence office sends you to that shop here.

They've been doing it for a few years now, basically they caught on to guys saying things like they paid $100 for the junker (which turns out to be something like a nice 356-preA) they just bought. They know that some of these old cars are worth bucks and they want their coin.
The big cheaters ruined for the guys who are only telling a little fib or the truth.
cwpeden
Try transfering the plate and insurance from an orange 72 to an orange 73. All the papers laid out in front of the broker and they couldnt figure it out. End result: "Look lady, I have 2 cars that look the same! now just do as I say!".....her boss didnt like that part.

I got caught, so to speak, on the value thing. A derelict 73 2.0 for $400 restored and 10 years later isnt $400 anymore. They asked me why I was getting better than full coverage on a $400 car.
MrHyde
ya I had to goto a local used car dealership to get both of my 914s "appraised" new car dealerships won't touch it (they claim its a hassle) but ask around at used car shops and see if they will do it.. The lady at the MTO should have given you a copy of the appraisal sheet... They won't take a bill of sale... tried that before. They need that specific appraisal sheet.
balljoint
That must all be new because I only needed my appraisal for the insurance valuation, I used a bill of sale and a verbal "I paid $500.00 for it" previously.

I guess it has been 10 years since I bought a 914. idea.gif
Mark Henry
Ten years ago that's all you needed.

I just put a '96 VW Golf winter beater on the road, the car was given to me by a friend, all he (his wife) did was sign the ownership. That was 2 years ago and I had no bill of sale. I told the girl it was given to me and she said they can't write it up that way unless it was from a family member. She warned me that it would be taxed on "book value".
I said $1 and she smiled, punched it in and said that sounds good. I had to sign a form and pay 13 cents tax.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 12 2011, 08:22 PM) *

Hey, when you get tired of being screwed by the Canadian Gov come on down to the states. Pick any state. It doesn't matter. Our Uncle Sam will find you and screw your socks off. lol-2.gif That is unless you are rich. In which case, Uncle Sam would like to give you some money that will be extracted from some poor middle class bum. chair.gif The great thing about our system is that it provides a very secure, well paying job with heavenly perks for the life of the politician. Unless you happen to end up on an FBI wire tap openly soliciting a bribe, you are above the law. Pecker gets out of your pants? No problem. There is a spin for that. Caught in a lie or multiple lies. Again, no problem. Infidelity is the norm. Even if your wife is on her death bed. confused24.gif Any freshman Senate aid could put a spin on this one. In fact you can lie and cheat, lay low for 20+ years and re-emerge as a GOP front runner. At least your Government cares enough for it's citizens to allow for their health care needs. beerchug.gif I'm finished.

This post needs to be "newtered"! av-943.gif
monkeyboy
I had the same problem in California trying to transfer title on a bug I was restoring. I explained to the DMV lady that I just wanted it in my name, and she insisted it needed a brake and lamp inspection. I had explained to her that the brakes, and all the lamps were in boxes and that it was just a shell, but I wanted it to be my shell since it would be that way for a while as it was restored.

I ended up walking out frustrated.
Ian Stott
I went through a big hassle with my first teener, a 74 rust bucket that I got because I made a large enough charitable donation! Long story short I even had my Member of Parliament invovled as it was her charity! The government just wants there cut and they think everyone is trying to pull a fast one on them so they think they are doing their "duty", I can understand why some people go postal!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
clow
Stopped in to see Mike in Port Colbourne and he said he could help out. I just have to email pictures and stop on the way back through! Hopefully everything will be good.

Wouldn't be the first time I have got the right information and paper work for the MTO and then head in and they ask for something else never mentioned before.

Clow

DRPHIL914
Wow, here in s.c. usa I bought my car for $2000, but the county/state uses the blue book value. My my 75 914 tax assessed value was $500, my tax was $25, and tag was $20
piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.