Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 12" caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
OK this might be a crazy question. blink.gif But I am working on push-rod length. I don't want to go buy a $50 tool. HF has a crappy $10 one. Or finally wait 6 days for an auction to end and still loose.

What are my options? I have two 6" digital calipers. Is there a way to use them? biggrin.gif
a914622
The ones at harborfrieght are not to bad.

jcl
sixnotfour
Something like this basically. you don't care what the number is as long as you can compare each one to each other ,
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/p...ments+%28USA%29
tscrihfield
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:53 PM) *

OK this might be a crazy question. blink.gif But I am working on push-rod length. I don't want to go buy a $50 tool. HF has a crappy $10 one. Or finally wait 6 days for an auction to end and still loose.

What are my options? I have two 6" digital calipers. Is there a way to use them? biggrin.gif

Actually yes! Max one of them out and tighten the set screw. 6 In not the full max, it usually travels farther.

Using the back of the calipers (usually for depth and step measurements). Place your push rod against the maxed out calipers face down and tape them in place. Then using the same style surface on the other calipers you can take a measurement and add 6 inches. I wish I wasn't in my warm house readying for bed otherwise I would photo this for you.

Hopefully you can get what I mean though...
underthetire
The harbor freight one would work, if you know how to read vernier calipers. They do take some practice. The digital ones are pretty good, but they are the 50 bucks you don't want to spend.. You could make a wood jig and use a 1" travel indicator if you in a pinch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-travel...icator-623.html
malcolm2
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Dec 13 2011, 09:39 PM) *

I wish I wasn't in my warm house readying for bed otherwise I would photo this for you.

Hopefully you can get what I mean though...

I think I have the visual, I will have to try it. But I am not working on this right now, so if you think about it you can add a picture when you get around to it.

thanks
malcolm2
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 13 2011, 09:48 PM) *

The harbor freight one would work, if you know how to read vernier calipers. They do take some practice. The digital ones are pretty good, but they are the 50 bucks you don't want to spend.. You could make a wood jig and use a 1" travel indicator if you in a pinch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-travel...icator-623.html

It's not really the $50, but the fact that I may never use the tool again. Maybe this forum needs a Loan-a-tool program.

I have not used one in a very long time, but it is like riding a bike....
Video link of how to read Vernier Calipers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.