Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber vs. dellorto
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsJerry
I'm sure this topic has been addressed here, but I'm having trouble finding it. In my quest for a car, I just talked to a guy who has a car for me (72 set up for autoX). He's just installed a rebuilt high performace 2.0L engine, and he is giving me the option of original rebuilt Webers or Dellortos.
My understanding is that the Webers may deliver more power at the top end and be easeyer to tune and find parts for, but the Dellortos are better made and deliver a wider power band (better for street use) but are harder to tune and find parts for.
the guy previously had the Webers on it and said it ran beautifly, but was planing on putting the Dellortos on for better low end.

Anyoune out there have an informed opinion? As someone planning on just driving around (I may give AutoX a try), should I walk away from a seemingly great deal and find a fuel injected ride?

santa_smiley.gif
Series9
Dellorto is better, but carbs suck.
vwsamba
I have both and vote Dellorto's too. Not much in it but they seem smoother,bog less in hard corners, and the idle jets seem to clog less often than the webers.
sean_v8_914
Dells.
jcd914
Dells have the rep for being more drivable and Webers are more on/off switches but the following line says alot:

"the guy previously had the Webers on it and said it ran beautifly"

Unless he is going to set up the Dells or you have the experience setting up carbs, you might want to go with the Webers.

You might spend a lot of time being frustrated and working on the Dells before you get much driving time. You might spend a lot more time enjoying the car overall.

The saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of fits here.

Jim

SUNAB914
I have both, dells are better.
mepstein
I had original Italian Webbers and they always ran great for the 5 years I drove it. Daily driver but low mileage. Never once adjusted them after engine was built. Guess I got lucky. I have heard today's gas doesn't play nice with carbs.
Thestigz06
Webers is too broad of a statement it really depends on what kind you get. The best are Spanish or italian ones That are known as IDA's or IDF's.
xsJerry
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 15 2011, 07:25 AM) *

Dells have the rep for being more drivable and Webers are more on/off switches but the following line says alot:

"the guy previously had the Webers on it and said it ran beautifly"

Unless he is going to set up the Dells or you have the experience setting up carbs, you might want to go with the Webers.

You might spend a lot of time being frustrated and working on the Dells before you get much driving time. You might spend a lot more time enjoying the car overall.

The saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of fits here.

Jim

The seller had the Webers dialed in, but was switching to the Dells for the increased driveability. He would have had to dial the Dells in before the sale, because I am not buying car that's not ready to rock-and-roll. Maybe that's why he later called me back to see if I wanted the Webers instead. He is having all this work done (not doing it himself), and it will probably be cheaper (for him) and faster (for me) if he sticks with the webers. He did make a good case for the Webers (already dialed in, easier to tune, cheaper and easier to find parts).

I will have to find out which models we are talking about. Larry, if you are reading this, maybe you can clarify. All he told me is they are the original good ones. Larry seems to be very knowledgeable and experienced as well as very cool and straight forward, so I am inclined to trust his judgment, but it seems the overwhelming consensus is to go with the Dells.

sean_v8_914
weber has 3 progression holes, dells have 5. dell shafts have bearings not bushing. dells have injection jets.
Drums66
QUOTE(Series9 @ Dec 14 2011, 05:10 PM) *

Dellorto is better, but carbs suck.

laugh.gif .....yeah(literally,gasoline)also swets while it's suckingLOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.