Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hell hole repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Well, worked on the passenger's side of the engine compartment today. I removed the battery tray and started cleaning the hell hole. There's only a few small holes in the side wall and one small hole in the firewall.

Question: Should I cut out the side wall and replace with a patch panel, butt-welded or try to weld up the holes?

BTW, the white showing through is a piece of paper taped on the back side so the holes would show up easier.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the battery tray removed.

Should I completely strip the paint and seam sealer from this area also?

Also, I have some minor repairs to do on the driver's side and the back of the engine compartment, is it necessary to remove the paint to bare metal, or can I just scuff up the paint and cover with primer?
thomasotten
Man, that is really minor. I would not cut out the side panel. Cut out the firewall and fix that. POR-15 the rest.
SirAndy
cut out rusted area generously and replace with good metal ...

you got that far, why do it half-ass now?
wink.gif Andy
Jeroen
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2004, 03:27 AM)
you got that far, why do it half-ass now?

agree.gif

Fixing crappy repairs later is an even bigger PITA and you'll headbang.gif wondering why you didn't do it right the first time
Don't become a DPO...
McMark
Cut it out. It's a bad area to get to, but you can make a patch piece to fit exactly. That place is nice because it's flat. biggrin.gif
Gint
I've seen first hand what PO repairs to that area look like when all of the crap is removed.

Go ahead and fix it. You'll be happy you did (later that is).
BatAc
Where's the HellHole? happy11.gif
tdgray
agree.gif with all the above, cut it out and do it right.

On your other question, do you have to remove the paint. I look it this way. If you run a DA over it and it does not immediatley go down to bare metal then you probably have good adhesion. If this is the case then scuff it up, feather out the rough spots and put some good primer over it.

If the paint looks flakey or chalky take it all down to bare metal and put a good self etching primer on it.

Good luck.
datapace
Not to create more work for you ... but while you're at it, maybe you should weld up the A/C hose holes if you don't plan to put A/C back in. You'll already be working in that area and might as well clean it up.

I *wish* my hellhole looked like that! happy11.gif

-datapace
applescotty
I'm still waiting for someone from California to chime in and suggest that you find a rust free roller to transfer everything to. biggrin.gif

applescotty
1bad914
Hell hole before
1bad914
Hell hole cleaned up
1bad914
Hell hole done! From Grassroots site! Do it right!!
watsonrx13
Thanks for all of the responses.

Yea, I am going to do it right, the first time.

I am planning to weld up the A/C holes also.

Finally, I'm going to replace the right rear 'ear' and part of the engine shelf. I guess once I have these pieces out of the way, I should be able to fix the hell hole properly.

Stay tuned for more fun and games..... aktion035.gif

BTW, for anyone else 'just cleaning up the car',

WELCOME TO THE 914 GAME
Joe Ricard
Mine was as bad as the grass roots car. in fact almost exactly. Fixed it up with new plate and weld. Also deleted the battery box and the actual hell hole is now covered with and aditional piece of sheet metal plate to make a shelf vs. hole to catch water/dirt in.

BTW Rob, where's that Cam shaft. signed your engine builder. happy11.gif
dmenche914
Lucky you, that is not all that bad of a hell hole. Mine even went as far as requiring the motor mount replacement! It appears you only have surface rust, and some pin holes. In this case, I would save all the original metal.

Clean all the rust, either blast, or chemically remove it (naval jelly works, put saran wrap over the jelly coated surface over night (so it will not dry out) it may require several applications, and scraping, but it does work)

Then neutralize the remaining metal with a phosphoric acid treatment, followed by a primer, then fill the pin holes with filler, and paint. Should last a very long time if you killed the rust. (ie decade or more) I have used this technique on cars (non-cosmetic areas, like engine bays,and floors) It works very good if there is only little rust pitting, with a few pin holes. I would not use this method on a fender top, or anything that must be perfect.

Other option is to cut and weld. If you do this, it will still not look factory without some filler, unless a very talented welder put lots of time into it (ie money) This is the "best method" but it depends what is best for you, what you want to spend, and use of the car (ie conours winning rare factory six 914 verse the daily driver four cylinder that you commute in.

Now you could go for a less than invisable metal patch, but it is still more work than the clean and paint method, and may not last any longer, But in the case from what I could determine from your photo, a metal patch would be over kill for some small pin holes
However if the rust is any worse, or covers a large area, or is rusting from behind the panel, then metal replacement is really the only way to go if you want the repair to last more than just a few years, or compromise strutural strength.

Anyway, at least be thank full your rust is not like many others rust in this area. heck, a thick coat of paint might fill in the small pin holes so no filler is needed. If that is the case, bow down to the idle of the 914 and offer up a case of holy synthetic oil, for the idle of the 914 has smiled on you and given you near rust freeness.

dave
Lou W
You need to find a Rust Free California Car and trnsfer all your parts!!! Just Kidding smile.gif Every thread needs a smartass. Actually, Mine looks worse than yours, I started to think mine may not be worth fixing. now I have some great inputs on how to fix mine. You guys are a great help. biggrin.gif
tracks914
That's not a hell hole...that's barely even a heck hole. Easy fix and do it right. You'll never regret it.
BatAc
Hey if you replace the "ear" let me know how it goes. This I have to do but my engine isn't out yet. Every once in a while I look at 'n' wonder how that puppy is comin' out. Maybe without the engine in it becomes quite obvious. At any rate I'm still collecting parts 'n' my hellhole is a whole lot worse. The battery tray itself has only one inch in legnth. The battery had 'bout four bungee cords keeping it somewhat in place. barf.gif
thomasotten
I went and searched for all the threads about my recently finished rust repair. Looking back, I can really see how much people on this forum have lent their support. Brings a tear to me eye... welder.gif

Phase One

Phase Two

Phase Three

Finished!
watsonrx13
Well, do to all of the 'pressure' from this board (BBS, forum???? whatever) I've 'repaired' a portion of the hell hole. The first photo shows the fender side with the metal patches for the A/C holes and the rusted area.
watsonrx13
BTW, yes it is a PITA to get down there and attempt to weld, then attempt to grind the welds.

This is a shot after I applied the 'All Metal' filler, later this week I'll sand it down then paint.
i love porsche
ok..i have been inspired also by this thread to take more time on the chassis..so tomorrow.. i will check out the longs and continue on the engine bay and finish the trunk....oh boy welder.gif *crosses fingers*

im learning alot about welding =]
newdeal2
I just finished my hell hole. No rust thru at all so I stripped the firewall, POr 15'nd the surface rust, primed all of the stripped metal and sprayed the hole thing with a 2 part enamel [3 coats]. It should last forever. My battery tray was good except for the mid section so I cut out the bad metal and will bolt on a new tray.
newdeal2
BTW...I think it is a good idea to make a drain in each corner, this way warter won't collect and rot the whole thing again.
watsonrx13
Thanks for the recommendation Peter, yea, I left the original drain holes in.

I have a little more work on the firewall section, then I'll POR-15 everything and finally paint, hopefully sometime next month.
URY914
Dude,
I'd make a big fiberglass patch, paint and put it in the AutoTrader ASAP.

(than I'd by it and do what you're doing) happy11.gif

Rob, you took off yesterday before I could tell you about the guy down the street with the 911 project. I'll get with you soon.

PAul
watsonrx13
Well I've finished fixing the 'hell' hole (or in my case, 'heck' hole). Anyway, here's a shot of the rust cut out of the firewall.

1 of 3
watsonrx13
Here's a shot from inside the passenger's compartment.

2 of 3
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the hole patched, with the AllMetal body putty.

3 of 3
mercdev
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Oct 8 2004, 10:20 PM)
...AllMetal body putty

huh.gif

What is that?
SirAndy
QUOTE(newdeal2 @ Aug 22 2004, 05:06 PM)
BTW...I think it is a good idea to make a drain in each corner, this way warter won't collect and rot the whole thing again.

they all came with a drain hole in each corner from the factory ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: no, i'm *not* kidding! it's there, small drain hole on the bottom towards the engine. you should have that on each side. they're usually plugged with 30 years of crap, but they are there!
davidcalvin
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Aug 18 2004, 06:59 PM)
Cut it out. It's a bad area to get to, but you can make a patch piece to fit exactly. That place is nice because it's flat. biggrin.gif

Thats what I used to say about my ex girlfriend. Then she'd poke me...

Guess thats why she's an "ex" now

:finger2:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.