Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Por 15 on Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neyen14
I just bought some black Por 15 but haven't opened it yet. I am hearing about how sturdy it is when hardened. I have a set of cookie cutters that need to be done and I am wondering if anyone has used Por 15 on wheels?
MLedesma
You may want to read the label for POR 15. Depends on which product you are using. If I remember correctly the POR 15 is affected by UV rays which can affect the appearance of the product. Don't have any first hand experience as all the areas I used it on don't see any sun light.

nathansnathan
I would say no. The por has to be top coated as it is not UV resistant. Any chips in the top coat and the por beneath will be exposed. The UV exposure will make it want to flake/ peel off.
underthetire
The bigger question is why por aluminum wheels. Thought por15 was for rust?
neyen14
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 16 2011, 05:59 PM) *

It's for rust. People say it dries hard so I thought it might be better then spray paint. I dismissed the UV protection though.
mskala
It does dry very hard and durable. I have it on the floor (inside) of
my car and I stick a 50lb magnet on it to hold some sensors and it
holds up well.

However, I also just for the heck of it painted a pole holding my
house antenna, and it gets very streaky gray after a while in the
sun.

So I would not use POR-15 on wheels.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(neyen14 @ Dec 16 2011, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 16 2011, 05:59 PM) *

It's for rust. People say it dries hard so I thought it might be better then spray paint. I dismissed the UV protection though.

Cookie cutters don't rust. They're aluminum...
SirAndy
QUOTE(neyen14 @ Dec 16 2011, 04:30 PM) *
I just bought some black Por 15 but haven't opened it yet. I am hearing about how sturdy it is when hardened. I have a set of cookie cutters that need to be done and I am wondering if anyone has used Por 15 on wheels?

The surface will look dull after a week and will never ever again clean up to a nice shiny black.

POR15 is the wrong product for a whole bag of reasons.
shades.gif
Mark Henry
I had a bit left over and I spotted it on a VW hood just for temporary protection till I got to it. Temporary is all I got, besides going grey it flaked off in a couple of years.

Personally, for chassis panels I find a wire wheel on a grinder, etc. down to bare metal, epoxy and Nason black paint (with just cheap hardner) does a better job.
neyen14
Thanks for the feedback... lack of UV protection is the winner first.gif . Not interested in the shine, I want them "flatish" black... but will go another UV protection route.
914Mike
QUOTE(neyen14 @ Dec 16 2011, 06:45 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback... lack of UV protection is the winner first.gif . Not interested in the shine, I want them "flatish" black... but will go another UV protection route.

The thread title made me think your car was a real rust bucket! Nothing but POR15 on wheels! blink.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 16 2011, 05:44 PM) *

I had a bit left over and I spotted it on a VW hood just for temporary protection till I got to it. Temporary is all I got, besides going grey it flaked off in a couple of years.

Personally, for chassis panels I find a wire wheel on a grinder, etc. down to bare metal, epoxy and Nason black paint (with just cheap hardner) does a better job.

poke.gif Damn Mark, I have got to have you build an engine for me if you call 2 yr's temporary. av-943.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 17 2011, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 16 2011, 05:44 PM) *

poke.gif Damn Mark, I have got to have you build an engine for me if you call 2 yr's temporary. av-943.gif

confused24.gif It was on my old squareback, pretty low on my list of projects. I never did fix it, I sold it.
neyen14
QUOTE(914Mike @ Dec 17 2011, 01:36 AM) *

QUOTE(neyen14 @ Dec 16 2011, 06:45 PM) *

The thread title made me think your car was a real rust bucket! Nothing but POR15 on wheels! blink.gif

That's funny. My '72 has no rust and my '75 has got a hell hole issue (really nothing major at all), surface rust on the hood and trunk, but I'm switching those to fiberglass. Definitely no rust on the wheels... they're aluminum shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.