Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help! the idle on my car stays high then dies(carb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
panthrogt
I also posted this on the pelican board.
I am new to this forum. I have been around the bmw crowd.

my 914 4 . has dual 44 idf. 009 disty.
The car will not idle properly. When i drive it the rpms will stay at 3000 rpm. (i checked the linkege and everything returns freely)
after i put a load on the car (1st gear) the rpms go down to 1000.
if i let the engine idle it will idle for a few minutes then slowly studder and die. But if i rev it up the engine will keep itself at 1600- 2000 rpm WITH THE throttle plates closed on both carbs.

I tried playing with the timing but if i adjusted to any other spot than where it is at it gets worse.

I think it might be my disty the goes to advance but does not return to base timing, but that does not explain why it will not idle.

please help guys
thanks
Patrick
SirAndy
QUOTE(panthrogt @ Aug 19 2004, 01:22 PM)
I also posted this on the pelican board.
I am new to this forum. I have been around the bmw crowd.

my 914 4 . has dual 44 idf. 009 disty.
The car will not idle properly. When i drive it the rpms will stay at 3000 rpm. (i checked the linkege and everything returns freely)
after i put a load on the car (1st gear) the rpms go down to 1000.
if i let the engine idle it will idle for a few minutes then slowly studder and die. But if i rev it up the engine will keep itself at 1600- 2000 rpm WITH THE throttle plates closed on both carbs.

I tried playing with the timing but if i adjusted to any other spot than where it is at it gets worse.

I think it might be my disty the goes to advance but does not return to base timing, but that does not explain why it will not idle.

i just went through similar problems with my car.

ditch the 009 ...

that and cleaning the carbs and reducing the idle jet size got rid of my idle problem,
wink.gif Andy
rhodyguy
it could also be a linkage issue. as in one of the idle screws is pushing the other one off the stop . have you confirmed both carbs are flowing at the same rate? back the passenger side idle adjust screw off so it's not touching at all. now screw the drivers side in to achieve an idle at about 1500rpm. now check the front barrels of each carbs with one of these. use the threaded rods to get the carbs to flow the same. what type of fuel pump are you running? does it require a pressure regulator?

the 009 is considered less than optimum. but to my knowedge the the centrifical mallory is unavailable at this time. my 2 liter engine has 40 idf and the cursed (by many) 009. my car runs pretty damn good.

kevin
Dman
I would defiantly do what Kevin suggested. I am running 44's with 50 idle jets and 135-140 mains, idles great at 900 rpm.

Ditch the 009 and get a 050 or better. Also the thing that helped my car idle allot better was a MSD 6al . I bought it for the rev limiter
but it smoothed out the idle and made it more responsive.

I have learned a good valve adjustment can do wonders too.

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.