Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning up aluminum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal

I stripped all the pain off the Gotti centers I have and found this metal etching, or whatever it is, underneath.

Before I paint the centers would like to clean this up, but don't know the right way to go about it.

Sanding, bead blasting, primer and sanding or ?

Will appreciate all advice.

Click to view attachment

underthetire
Scotch Brite or a scotch Brite wheel on a die grinder. Prime, then fill any holes/imperfections with spotting glaze, sand and paint.
HAM Inc
My new ultra-sonic engine parts cleaner would probably kick it's ass.
Randal
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Dec 17 2011, 07:05 PM) *

My new ultra-sonic engine parts cleaner would probably kick it's ass.

Wish you were close, I'd like to see how the centers came out.
scotty b
glass bead leaves a great finish to prime and paint over
charliew
I agree on the glass bead. It leaves a clean surface on ALL of the wheel including the rough casting and it will leave a good surface for the new coating to stick to.
Randal

Warren in Redwood City bought the powdercoating business up in SSF.

So now need to find someone in San Jose that can glass bead these centers.

Mikey914
Looks like it's anodized. As long as it's pretty smooth and there is no corrosion (and I can't see any) Powdercoat it and call it good. You can sand to smooth if you need to ans not worry about getting all the anodizing off, but it will need to be treated at the powdercoater to seal it, iron phosphate is an option, any professional coater will have a method of pretreating.

maf914
Those Gotti wheels are old school cool! What color for the centers and how do you plan to finish the rims? Nice project.

Didn't JP and Britain have Gotti wheels on their 914?
J P Stein
Brit's wheels are 10 X 16 Monocoque (out of Bidness)).....and F/S BTW. Very light at 11 lbs each (bathroom scale) and strictly for racin'.
We ran em' for 6-8 years. I do a prep on racin' wheels which involves removing ALL exterior sharp edges and then putting a appox .05 radius in their place. ...Fuch also. I'd have also shot peened them if I could find a pro outfit to do em' rignt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.