Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what did you do to your 914 today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336
carr914
QUOTE(barebrad @ Sep 1 2014, 04:50 PM) *

I finally finished the rotisserie and took it for a spin! Time for a little work but very hard with the heat index well over a 100.Click to view attachment

Where is Navarre?

Neat Rotisserie. FourBlades had a cool one made out of Wood. His 914 was the only one with Rust & Termites! biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Fixed a snapped headlite pivot and drove it all day. piratenanner.gif
cary
[/quote]
Ugh, I need to do this too. Fresh air blower has never worked, although I got it to smoke the other day when I cleaned out the contacts on the controls real well. Debating whether I pull the fuel tank and go for it, as the car is on jackstands anyway right now. You may have inspired (or shamed) me. I don't think I have the stomach for dealing with the controls just yet though...

Nice work!
[/quote]

It was one of those things I never wanted to tackle. But it ended up being not as bad as I thought it would be. The cable hold down nuts and bolts are a little tight. But not too tough. CW's should cut a piece of cardboard to slip between the dash and the controls while your trying to unhook everything. (left side) Seemed like a lot of twisting and turning.

Next will be getting the lights to work. It seems I'm missing one of the bulb holders. The black/blue wire only has two bulb holders on it. There's three sockets. I'll verify on my 73 rustoration that's on the rotisserie.

I didn't even know the blower had its own indicator light (top right corner). I'll go to work it Wednesday night/Thursday.

Oh yeah, I saw a white/brown? wire that was just cut and left open. Not good on an old car. Anyone one have any ideas? Comes out of the same wrap as the switch contacts. Just a bit towards the steering wheel from those 4 or 5 wires.
I'll shoot a picture.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 30 2014, 09:21 AM) *

It was one of those things I never wanted to tackle. But it ended up being not as bad as I thought it would be. The cable hold down nuts and bolts are a little tight. But not too tough. CW's should cut a piece of cardboard to slip between the dash and the controls while your trying to unhook everything. (left side) Seemed like a lot of twisting and turning.

Next will be getting the lights to work. It seems I'm missing one of the bulb holders. The black/blue wire only has two bulb holders on it. There's three sockets. I'll verify on my 73 rustoration that's on the rotisserie.

I didn't even know the blower had its own indicator light (top right corner). I'll go to work it Wednesday night/Thursday.

Oh yeah, I saw a white/brown? wire that was just cut and left open. Not good on an old car. Anyone one have any ideas? Comes out of the same wrap as the switch contacts. Just a bit towards the steering wheel from those 4 or 5 wires.
I'll shoot a picture.

This is excellent info, thanks. And any pictures you have would be appreciated. Mentioning the white/brown wire is exceptionally timely. I'm doing the wiper switch conversion based on this (EV Wiper Hack) and he mentions that there is "conveniently" an unused wire that may have been meant for an electric washer pump. On my '72 that wire appeared to be brown and black, and it shows up on the '73 wiring diagram as "91." I had a thread going with HalfMoon on that yesterday. I'm going to try to find that wire today. So, three reasons to pull the tank now:

1. Find that wire
2. Make installation of the new MC easier when it comes
3. Service/fix the fresh air blower. I had heard people say this is a nightmare, so I'm glad you're having better luck!

Thanks Cary.
Johny Blackstain
FERG.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 30 2014, 09:31 AM) *

This is excellent info, thanks. And any pictures you have would be appreciated. Mentioning the white/brown wire is exceptionally timely. I'm doing the wiper switch conversion based on this (EV Wiper Hack) and he mentions that there is "conveniently" an unused wire that may have been meant for an electric washer pump. On my '72 that wire appeared to be brown and black, and it shows up on the '73 wiring diagram as "91." I had a thread going with HalfMoon on that yesterday. I'm going to try to find that wire today. So, three reasons to pull the tank now:

1. Find that wire
2. Make installation of the new MC easier when it comes
3. Service/fix the fresh air blower. I had heard people say this is a nightmare, so I'm glad you're having better luck!

Thanks Cary.

Got this done today! piratenanner.gif I didn't do as thorough a job as Cary did, and I didn't touch the controls, but I pulled the tank, took the blower housing out, and cleaned up the motor. I wonder why it wasn't working?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And then cleaned it up. My wife, who's more creative and imaginative than I am, helped me replace the rubber that helps the baffles seal the outlets and helped me put a grille on the housing.

Click to view attachment

Dog, still recovering from ACL surgery, does not seem to care.

Click to view attachment

I put it back together and tested it. I have fresh air blowing! As a bonus, I did find the brown/black stripe wire that connects to the 5th female connection on the "J" connector for the windshield washer pump. Now just gotta hook that up. Thanks for Dave's (HalfMoon) help.
Porschef
Nice job! beerchug.gif That blower's a royal PITA. I had to do it to replace the wiper motor. Not fun, much cussin' helped some. Getting the cable clamp to snap in on the bottom was the worst part. I can see why that glass is empty.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 30 2014, 08:17 PM) *

Nice job! beerchug.gif That blower's a royal PITA. I had to do it to replace the wiper motor. Not fun, much cussin' helped some. Getting the cable clamp to snap in on the bottom was the worst part. I can see why that glass is empty.

Thanks! I still have to fully put it back in and connect the cable. That could be where I really need to drink - before, during, and after! beer3.gif
DRPHIL914
Since you guys have a handle on these things maybe you can explain why I am unable to get my fan blowing. It only turns on when on the middle setting not low or high. Clean contacts did not change it. So I swapped the wires to see if it was the contacts or the wires. Result: only the low speed wire works no matter where it's connected. Each contact works when hooked to that wire .
So why do the other speeds not work? It must be in the fan itsself. The fan is clean no debris. I put it in 2 years ago so I know it's clean.. Could it be the fan motor? Is there a relay related to this?
euro911
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 30 2014, 07:47 PM) *
So why do the other speeds not work? It must be in the fan itsself. The fan is clean no debris. I put it in 2 years ago so I know it's clean.. Could it be the fan motor? Is there a relay related to this?
I think the one in the 'BB' works on LOW and it definitely works on HIGH ... it doesn't work in the MID position. I was thinking it may be a loose wire or a bad contact confused24.gif

The LOW fan position stopped working in my Tacoma and the Toyota dealer service dept said they replaced a burned-out resistor.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 30 2014, 10:47 PM) *

Since you guys have a handle on these things maybe you can explain why I am unable to get my fan blowing. It only turns on when on the middle setting not low or high. Clean contacts did not change it. So I swapped the wires to see if it was the contacts or the wires. Result: only the low speed wire works no matter where it's connected. Each contact works when hooked to that wire .

I haven't fully installed mine yet (and believe me, I don't have a handle on this). I did connect it to the switch and I didn't get any fan action until I put it on high. I assumed it was either dirty contacts on the low and mid speeds or that the motor is old and weak and needs a full burst of 12v to get moving. I was just happy to have the fan moving. I may look into it more...
cary
Handle would be a stretch.
The electric fan motor has 3 different ground inputs from the dash switch. I would assume each of those has a different resistor to create a different speed. I'm going to open up the fan tomorrow and lube the inside bearing on the fan. I'll see what the motor and windings look like.

To eliminate the dash switch you should be able to apply 12volts to the power pin on the motor. Then ground out each of the pins one at a time to start each fan speed. I'll confirm tomorrow. That will let you know which area to work on. Maybe I'll attempt a video with sound tomorrow
On a positive note. You can still buy a new Bosch blower motor. With or without the impeller.

IMHO, I don't think you could really thoroughly clean the switch contacts without taking the switch apart. There was a lot of corrosion on the bottom of the fingers.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 1 2014, 09:05 AM) *

Handle would be a stretch.
The electric fan motor has 3 different ground inputs from the dash switch. I would assume each of those has a different resistor to create a different speed. I'm going to open up the fan tomorrow and lube the inside bearing on the fan. I'll see what the motor and windings look like.

To eliminate the dash switch you should be able to apply 12volts to the power pin on the motor. Then ground out each of the pins one at a time to start each fan speed. I'll confirm tomorrow. That will let you know which area to work on. Maybe I'll attempt a video with sound tomorrow
On a positive note. You can still buy a new Bosch blower motor. With or without the impeller.

IMHO, I don't think you could really thoroughly clean the switch contacts without taking the switch apart. There was a lot of corrosion on the bottom of the fingers.

Here's what the inside of the fan looks like. I couldn't figure out how you got the motor out of the bushing, although there are four clamp springs that seem to be holding it in the housing. Those can be removed pretty easily, but I'm not sure if you have to press it out or what at that point. Mine seemed to be stuck in there pretty well, so I had to be satisfied with soaking the thing as best I could in penetrating oil and lubricant. I'd be interested in what you find and are able to do. If I had a week or more to wait to put this back in I'd do more testing and servicing before putting it back together, but I need this back on the road in the next few days as it's a daily driver.

Click to view attachment

We may have to start up a thread specifically on this....
JoeSharp
Installed perlon on the front of he bulkhead in the front trunk and I am still waiting for the bushings for the shift knuckle.
Found a set of rear drop links to send off up north to a teener in need.
Pay it forward.
euro911
Seeing that the pic of the fresh air fan motor only shows two terminals, it seems logical they used resistors somewhere for the LOW and MID speed control too?

The wiring diagram shows 4 wires going to the fan, 3 of them coming from the switch, but the diagram also shows a fresh air fan relay. I don't see any interconnection between the relay and the fan motor though unsure.gif

Looking forward to the video (film at 11) ?

popcorn[1].gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 1 2014, 01:14 PM) *

Seeing that the pic of the motor only shows two terminals, it seems like they use resistors for the LOW and MID speed control too. Looking forward to the video (film at 11) ?

popcorn[1].gif

I don't have a picture of it but the power switch connects with four (I think) prong plug to the outside of the housing. Connected to that on the inside of the housing are two "spring-like" things that could be resistors used to control a voltage drop or something depending on where you have the lever positioned. I wish I had taken more time yesterday to take pictures of it and try to understand how it really works. I just put 12v on it directly to verify the motor worked. Then I put it back in the housing and connected it to the four prong plug. I got nothing on low and mid but lots of air on high.

Yup, it'll be interesting to see what he has...
Java2570
driving.gif to work today!! One of the last super nice days here, weather wise....so: driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
got a bit creative happy11.gif

before & after
poorsche914
^^^ Cool! Let's see them on the six aktion035.gif

driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 1 2014, 05:44 PM) *

^^^ Cool! Let's see them on the six aktion035.gif

driving.gif

I spent all day on 1! 3 more to go- it's a bit of a taping nightmare after you clean & scuff the centers. Then about 3 coats of base & 3 coats of clear. After that I polished the hell out of the rim & washed it all over again.
Sleepin
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 1 2014, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 1 2014, 01:14 PM) *

Seeing that the pic of the motor only shows two terminals, it seems like they use resistors for the LOW and MID speed control too. Looking forward to the video (film at 11) ?

popcorn[1].gif

I don't have a picture of it but the power switch connects with four (I think) prong plug to the outside of the housing. Connected to that on the inside of the housing are two "spring-like" things that could be resistors used to control a voltage drop or something depending on where you have the lever positioned. I wish I had taken more time yesterday to take pictures of it and try to understand how it really works. I just put 12v on it directly to verify the motor worked. Then I put it back in the housing and connected it to the four prong plug. I got nothing on low and mid but lots of air on high.

Yup, it'll be interesting to see what he has...

The "Spring like things" are the blower resistors. They are made that way to allow them to be cooled by the airflow from the fan. If one of them is broken, then the blower won't work on that speed.

BeatNavy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2014, 06:32 PM) *

The "Spring like things" are the blower resistors. They are made that way to allow them to be cooled by the airflow from the fan. If one of them is broken, then the blower won't work on that speed.

That makes sense. So does it follow that low speed runs through both resistors, mid through one, and high through none? If mine only works on high speed, does that mean both my resistors are broken and is there a way to repair?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 1 2014, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2014, 06:32 PM) *

That makes sense. So does it follow that low speed runs through both resistors, mid through one, and high through none? If mine only works on high speed, does that mean both my resistors are broken and is there a way to repair?

You are partially correct. Low speed runs through both of them, medium runs through just one, and high bypasses them completely. So if the mid speed resistor breaks, then low and mid speeds don't work.

The only repair would be to replace them. IIRC, The same part is use on the 911 fresh air system, so there are lots of them available used.

DRPHIL914
Mine works on low, no medium or high....

Looks like I will have to pull the fan housing to see exactly what's up in there! I have a second one so I will pull the one apart to we if it has these resistors intact. Do you have a picture of them
euro911
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 1 2014, 04:27 PM) *
Mine works on low, no medium or high....

Looks like I will have to pull the fan housing to see exactly what's up in there! I have a second one so I will pull the one apart to we if it has these resistors intact. Do you have a picture of them
Wouldn't the resistors (wire-wound springy-looking thingies) be somewhere on the dash control assembly? ... so you don't NEED to remove the fan (unless you just WANT to)?
cary
I'll try and take lots of pictures while I disassemble the fan tomorrow.

Best I can tell, everything happens on the fan motor like Clay said. The switch sends a ground signal only. I'll try and show that tomorrow with the S5 phone video. Then I'll try and bench test it with power showing the 3 different speeds.
cary
Lunch time ............ BeatNavy, those spring clamps are just what they look like. Unclip them just like you would a distributor cap. On the later fan with the PLASTIC framework it slides right off. I'm sorry to say yours is metal on metal and I assume is seized on there.
With that framework off you can easily drift off the impeller.

In attempt to create a good DIY set of instructions I broke my plastic framework trying to get the impeller off. I was looking at it backasswards.
The 73 rustoration had the same one so I'm back in business. Just need to find a replacement from some one. Bruce?

My stash had a metal on metal one like yours. I decided I'd fight that battle another day.The good part is the framework is metal so you can put it in a vice. If its your daily driver. This might be your best and fastest choice.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...C_pg1.htm#item1
But us being the cheap SOB's that we are. Keep squeezed PB Blaster into the tight seam between the motor and the framework. The problem is your looking for a inch of penetration. Then try and tap the motor downward.

Back to work ...................
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 2 2014, 04:24 PM) *

Lunch time ............ BeatNavy, those spring clamps are just what they look like. Unclip them just like you would a distributor cap. On the later fan with the PLASTIC framework it slides right off. I'm sorry to say yours is metal on metal and I assume is seized on there.
With that framework off you can easily drift off the impeller.

In attempt to create a good DIY set of instructions I broke my plastic framework trying to get the impeller off. I was looking at it backasswards.
The 73 rustoration had the same one so I'm back in business. Just need to find a replacement from some one. Bruce?

My stash had a metal on metal one like yours. I decided I'd fight that battle another day.The good part is the framework is metal so you can put it in a vice. If its your daily driver. This might be your best and fastest choice.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...C_pg1.htm#item1
But us being the cheap SOB's that we are. Keep squeezed PB Blaster into the tight seam between the motor and the framework. The problem is your looking for a inch of penetration. Then try and tap the motor downward.

Back to work ...................

Ah-ha! That's probably what it is - metal on metal frozen. I'll probably give that a go before putting everything back together. I do have an extra fan in my '75 project teener. Do you think the motor/impeller or whole housing will fit in the early model? If not, I'll keep PB Blasting it. Or maybe I can switch resistors.

Good info, thanks!

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 1 2014, 10:16 PM) *

Wouldn't the resistors (wire-wound springy-looking thingies) be somewhere on the dash control assembly? ... so you don't NEED to remove the fan (unless you just WANT to)?

No, the spring-like resistors are inside the housing that holds motor and impeller. If I break it open again I'll take a picture.

cary
I have the picture of the resistor set up. I'll work on them during the Oregon/Arizona game.

I think the other motor will slip right in. I think we'll have another part for 914Rubber to create. The slip on foam ring that wraps around the framework that the motor sits in is made of foam. All of the ones I have are all just about disintegrated. Same foam that is used to hold in the blower intake screen. Which isn't in much better shape.
DRPHIL914
cant wait to get my fan motor working as well..... - last night i finally got to pulling my charcoal canaster and replaced the activated charcoal. I got tired of the fumes, and the tank pressure due to expansion when hot, the line is clear, the canister was blocked.- have had it disconnected, i should have done this a long time ago - 1 container of activated charcoal from petsmart- $17.00

PW
Johny Blackstain
Slowly plugging along; 2 done, 2 more to go. Holy sh*t it looks radical happy11.gif
AZ914
^ Looks great!!
Johns914
Swapped out the battery from the Studebaker and drove it work.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 3 2014, 03:11 PM) *
Slowly plugging along; 2 done, 2 more to go. Holy sh*t it looks radical happy11.gif

That looks so cool, Al aktion035.gif

driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 3 2014, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 3 2014, 03:11 PM) *

That looks so cool, Al aktion035.gif

driving.gif

Thanks, I'd like to take credit for the idea of the "Antisicle", however this 916 photo was my inspiration:
Beeliner
I got it back with a new 911 Master Cylinder....

So safe I let my buddy Stacie drive....Click to view attachment

wub.gif driving-girl.gif
Johny Blackstain
3 down, 1 to go. Blacked out the vent window pillar as well w/ vinyl tape. "It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown!" biggrin.gif
03blueboo
Many Cosmetic things today.

Added a passenger side mirror
Replaced pedal covers
Added a cover to the relays in the engine bay (I had to modify it a bit for the wiring that was done by DAPO).
Repainted and adjusted from roof clamps
Bled brakes.

Hopefully my new shocks and springs will arrive tomorrow!

kkid
Brake day here!

Installed front and rear restored brake calipers. Then I took my old 19mm MC out. Tomorrow I will install 17mm MC. Let's see how hard it is to put the pipes and hoses back in there.

Oh boy, do I have an ugliest brake reservoir clamp?
JoeSharp
Wax and polish, wait for bushings from Pelican.
BobR
Took off the engine hatch and slotted the hinge so I could slip the hatch on and off without having to fully remove the bolts. I also tack welded the hinge bracket that was starting to flex causing the hatch to sag on one side. I was concerned about the heat penetrating the firewall from the welding so I removed the seats and back pad. While I had them off I removed and cleaned the seatbelts and lubed up the spools for the belts. They now retract easily and quietly. While I had the hatch off I installed a new set of points and condenser.
bandjoey
Cleaned and re painted my Pedrini's. Now if the car was as good looking! Oh well, something for another day.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 4 2014, 10:54 AM) *

Cleaned and re painted my Pedrini's. Now if the car was as good looking! Oh well, something for another day.

I know exactly how you feel smile.gif
JoeSharp
Well the bushings came jk smilie_pokal.gif in finally. So I put them in and did a test drive. Every thing worked like it's should now I going for a drive. driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
Finished repainting my wheels on my six. Took a couple shots, "with & without". I think you need "with", to tie the colors together. I think I like "Great Pumpkin" more than "Antisicle". biggrin.gif
CatDaddy60
Ordered the power valve and accelerator diaphragms for my carbs so they'll work. laugh.gif
poorsche914
Found a few 914 parts at the VW show for dirt cheap happy11.gif

driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
....started to mandrel bend the hoops + cage work for the 9148gttClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...and started to organize stuff to take to the G&R on the 26th aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.