Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine compt pad in 71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
etcmss
in process of 71 refurb. after the engine compt was cleaned I noticed the firewall has no engine sound pad. Based on the nice paint it appears it never had one.
So did the 71 have an engine pad installed originally?
and what difference does it make in sound dampening for cockpit noise?
GeorgeRud
The original -6s didn't have a firewall pad, but I'm not sure about the -4s. Though the pad does help with sound control, you could always use some DynaMat or other such product behind the backpad to help with sound control if desired. I have a mat in my conversion -6, and none in my original -6, but don't appreciate much difference. However, I always drive with the top removed, so my observations are probably not as accurate as folks with normal hearing.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(etcmss @ Dec 18 2011, 08:24 AM) *

in process of 71 refurb. after the engine compt was cleaned I noticed the firewall has no engine sound pad. Based on the nice paint it appears it never had one.
So did the 71 have an engine pad installed originally?
and what difference does it make in sound dampening for cockpit noise?

I too have a 71 with no pad - and I can't tell if it ever had one either, so I would be interested in knowing if they put them on 71 4 cylinders too.

Reg
sixerdon
The factory installed engine firewall sound pad started in MY '73. The early cars did not have them, including the /6's.
Personally, I don't like them.
Don
914werke
they do provide a modicum of noise reduction but only if they are securely glued to the
firewall. Downside is the original design/materials trap water / debris & promote rust.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Dec 18 2011, 01:05 PM) *

The factory installed engine firewall sound pad started in MY '73. The early cars did not have them, including the /6's.
Don

Thanks for the info!

Reg
rgalla9146
QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Dec 18 2011, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Dec 18 2011, 01:05 PM) *

Don

Thanks for the info!

Reg

Early cars had a asphalt/rubber pad on the inside behind the seat pad.
If removed carefully it can be moved to the next car. Effective ? better than nothing.
Better than living with the unsightly engine-side versions.
I like the look of a clean well painted engine-side firewall.
Delete the radio, you can't hear it anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.