Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rims selection question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheReverend
what will be the impact to the car?

thanks all
The reverend
PeeGreen 914
I guess that depends on what you've done to your car. Flares, engine, and a few other factores are going to decide if you can do 18x10s. I've looked at 18x10s on a 914 and in my opinion they are too big. I think 17s are about the largest I'd go.
TheReverend
Thanks a ton for the reply.. man, I love this site..

is there any site you can direct me to that would have a decent selection of after market wheels for my car?

thanks man,

Rob

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 18 2011, 08:29 PM) *

I guess that depends on what you've done to your car. Flares, engine, and a few other factores are going to decide if you can do 18x10s. I've looked at 18x10s on a 914 and in my opinion they are too big. I think 17s are about the largest I'd go.

PeeGreen 914
Well, what are you planning on doing, or have you done, to your car? 15x... may be your best bet if you simply have a stock car.
TheReverend
I haven't done anything yet. I was thinking about the flares, but not settled. It's a stock 2.0 at the moment.

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 18 2011, 09:01 PM) *

Well, what are you planning on doing, or have you done, to your car? 15x... may be your best bet if you simply have a stock car.

PeeGreen 914
Well, with a stock set up 15x7 is a good look. Bigger than that is going to be over kill for the moment. 17x7s just look weird.
TheReverend
any sites you can recommend that sell a nice selection of Rims for the car?

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 18 2011, 09:07 PM) *

Well, with a stock set up 15x7 is a good look. Bigger than that is going to be over kill for the moment. 17x7s just look weird.

PeeGreen 914
Look in the classifieds here and at Pelican. You should find some good selections. Make sure to go to the 911 section at pelican parts.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(TheReverend @ Dec 18 2011, 10:22 PM) *

any sites you can recommend that sell a nice selection of Rims for the car?

If you still have 4 lug, the selection is limited. With 5 lug it is still limited but not as much. Porsche (and some VW's) have a 130mm bolt spacing. If you redrill for 120mm you would have a vast selection of wheel options.

For 4 lug look at VW shops. The bolt pattern will work but the backspacing is not ideal.
Mike Bellis
Oh yah!

welcome.png
TheReverend
AWESOME... I love this stie..

Thanks everyone..

The Reverend

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 18 2011, 10:02 PM) *

Oh yah!

welcome.png

messix
"big" wheels will sap horsepower from stock engines, the car will not accelerate as quickly as with a 15" rim.

it takes torque and hp to accelerate those tall wheels, more so than a 15" wheel with rubber to make the same overall tire/wheel height.

it's the fly wheel effect, the more mass at a greater diameter the more force it takes to get it to accelerate.
Andyrew
IPB Image

17x9's and 18x10's

messix
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 18 2011, 10:54 PM) *

IPB Image

17x9's and 18x10's

and the kid has more hp than he can handle...... and woman,,,, happy11.gif
charliew
A little bs goes a long way. The outside diameter of the tire and the total weight of the wheel and tire is the mass the driveline has to drive. If the new wheel and tire weighs the same the powertrain will not be affected. But usually everybody thinks bigger wheels including the outside diameter looks better so 80-100hp is affected more than 150-200hp driveline. Also the brakes will have to work harder with a taller heavier wheel. A 1 inch taller tire will affect a smaller hp motor a lot more than it will affect a higher hp motor. Another way is to say it's the radius of the overall tire and wheel and the weight that needs to stay the same as the original if the rear axle ratio is intended to be unaltered.

Merry Christmas All
messix
Imagine this, you have a spoked wheel and there is a tire on this wheel. Now we also have weights that can be positioned along the spokes radially. The over all weight will not change. Now if you have the weights positioned close the center of the wheel and you effect torque to spin this wheel and measure the torque to spin the wheel at a certain acceleration ration rate. Now then move the weights out to the outer radius of the wheel and do the same acceleration rate measurement.

Having the mass further out from the axis of the wheel will take more force to accelerate than having the mass closer to the axis.

Unless some thing has changed to Newtonian law......
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 19 2011, 01:54 AM) *

IPB Image

is it the fronts or the backs you have on the wrong side of the car ?
Andyrew
Boxster twist rears up front, and 911 turbo rears on the back, which is why they twist different directions.
Dave_Darling
If you're not doing major work for the car, your wheel choices are limited. The stock wheels fit, and there are a (relative) handful of aftermarket alloys that fit and have a 914-friendly offset. Most of the 4x130mm wheels have Bug offsets, because there were a whole lot more Bugs with that bolt pattern than 914s.

The most popular change is to bolt on a 911 front suspension, or at least the struts and hubs and brakes. That gives you the 5x130mm bolt pattern which was used on the 911 for about ever, and on a number of other Porsches. Quite a few more choices in that case. But you have to do something to the rears to convert them to 5x130. Re-drilling and having studs pressed in is the usual answer there.

It is much less common to re-drill to other four-bolt patterns, but it has been done. The main problem is that the 914 front hub is a part of the front rotor, so when it comes time to replace the rotors you have to have your new hubs re-drilled as well.

--DD
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 18 2011, 11:00 PM) *

17x9's and 18x10's

and the kid has more hp than he can handle......

I'm sure there's a joke here somewhere... idea.gif
messix
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 19 2011, 04:11 PM) *

17x9's and 18x10's

and the kid has more hp than he can handle......

I'm sure there's a joke here somewhere... idea.gif

he's got a sbc 350 in that monster and he's has said that it still traction deficient.
Andyrew
Actually with some new sticky 285's on the back it does a pretty good job of keeping the traction in check. I can still pitch it sideways at moments notice though.
Elliot Cannon

17x7's look weird? How weird is this?
Andyrew
I agree with Elliot, Those revolutions are just perfect for a stock fender 914. I personally wouldnt go with 18's on a stock fender 914, but 17's just look good.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 19 2011, 08:48 PM) *

Actually with some new sticky 285's on the back it does a pretty good job of keeping the traction in check.

What are you using for 285's?

I run 285-50/18 Conti Cross-Contact UHP on the Titan (on 9's) and while I like them, I can still light them up at will, and with only 3 summers on them I'll be ready for something new, I think - I might get another season on them but it'll be closer than I like with the rain we get here...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 19 2011, 05:56 PM) *

17x7's look weird? How weird is this?

Meant 18. 17s look nice smile.gif plus with the 18s you end up with a high jacker type look unless you go with rubber band type tires.
TheReverend
I WANT THESE EXACT WHEELS.. that car is PERFECT.. can you give me some advice on what needs to be done to get to that? and where can I get those wheels PERFECT CAR!!!!!

IPB Image

17x9's and 18x10's

TheReverend
hahaha.. makes told sense. You see this much in trucks, as they are the most common tire to change. I see it effect the RPM's on my BMW as well for the freeway..

thanks for the reminders and updates...

QUOTE(messix @ Dec 19 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Imagine this, you have a spoked wheel and there is a tire on this wheel. Now we also have weights that can be positioned along the spokes radially. The over all weight will not change. Now if you have the weights positioned close the center of the wheel and you effect torque to spin this wheel and measure the torque to spin the wheel at a certain acceleration ration rate. Now then move the weights out to the outer radius of the wheel and do the same acceleration rate measurement.

Having the mass further out from the axis of the wheel will take more force to accelerate than having the mass closer to the axis.

Unless some thing has changed to Newtonian law......

Andyrew
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Dec 19 2011, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 19 2011, 08:48 PM) *

Actually with some new sticky 285's on the back it does a pretty good job of keeping the traction in check.

What are you using for 285's?

I run 285-50/18 Conti Cross-Contact UHP on the Titan (on 9's) and while I like them, I can still light them up at will, and with only 3 summers on them I'll be ready for something new, I think - I might get another season on them but it'll be closer than I like with the rain we get here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Sumito's,

I really like them. They are pretty quiet on the limit but they hold my 295wtq pretty darn good.

Andyrew
QUOTE(TheReverend @ Dec 19 2011, 08:01 PM) *

I WANT THESE EXACT WHEELS.. that car is PERFECT.. can you give me some advice on what needs to be done to get to that? and where can I get those wheels PERFECT CAR!!!!!

IPB Image

17x9's and 18x10's

You'll need flares if you dont already have them.
911 turbo twists would be the wheels for you.
Like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-OEM-18-Tur...ies&vxp=mtr

Personally, 7" front wheels were to, eh, small for me so I went with boxter twist rears on the front, which are either 8.5" or 9"depending on what day you ask me smile.gif(I dont really know)

This allowed me for 285x30x18's on the rear and 255/40/17's in the front.

OH and you'll need some serious spacers as the offset of these new cars is crazy.. I have 2.5" spacers on the back and 1" on the front.

Couple of more gratuitous pics smile.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.