Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh air blower- how to test it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
75 2.0 ,

fresh air blower has not worked since i bought the car 2 years ago, - at that time i had the tank out to clean and replace the fuel lines etc. and fixed the drains for the blower, but put it all back together, -did not work, - i have put this off long enough,

there is no debris in there, but could be its not getting power? i need to check the sliders to see if they are getting power, right? how?, then ive heard we should clean the contacts?

I also always have air coming thru the vent, even with the top slider all the way off to the left, - thenext lever will direct air up or down properly- i thought if the top lever was off, it was supposed to close the fresh air from coming in but it does not- no blower, but just some passive air moving thru. --

Thanks.
pw
glens67
Bump Me too 73 1.7
r_towle
Lots of questions.

First, pull the heater levers out of the dash...
You can see the contact for the blower on the top lever...its the only one with an electrical connection.
Make sure its plugges in and the slider is clean.
Then, follow that wire.

There are some grounds under the cowl that might have come off also.

For leaking air...its most likely the mixer valve seals are gone.
I dont think anyone sells them, but its a piece of foam....you need to take it apart to understand...there are two of them.

If you are getting cold air, and you dont want it, a quick fix is to remove the paper hose going from the fresh air box to the mixer valve and place (tape) a rattle can spray paint cover over both the outlet on the fresh air box and the inlet on the mixer valve...

They happen to fit nicely.

RIch
bryanf
Mine stopped working a bit ago and I also wouldn't mind a blower primer from gurus here...I do know that you can clean the contacts on the slides by pulling the ashtray, but that didn't help me.

TIA

Bryan
blitZ
There is a relay on your fuse panel, which triggers the fan, you may want to check. You have to pull the panel to get to it.
jim_hoyland
There's a possibility of a bad connection at the blower or the switch. The blower end has a plastic connector similar to the one on the fuel tank. The dash control unit has a sliding control that activates low, med, or high fan speeds. Get under the dash with a flashlight and look for the three striped wires that attach to small tabs. Wires are white with yell, grn, or blue stripes. They are frequently knocked off their spade connectors, hence, no connection to the fan.
etcmss
pull out the ashtray and look at the slide switch--are the connections clean. You can see the contacts make up.
sometimes a brass brush on the contacts will clean up and make at least one speed work.
(got to have battery connected)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.