Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro - barn find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gil914
I recently found an old 74 2.0 914 in a barn. OK, I put it there 10 years ago, but it is nice to dig it out. It hasn't been on the road since 94 but is still in adequate condition for a NE 914. It's off to Tangerine racing next week for an evaluation, etc.

I also have another 74 914 with a 2.2S, 6 conversion, full cage, factory flares, hill climb gears, etc. that is pretty but close to terminal. Even the cage and steel roof can't keep the doors from binding.

As the 2.0 is spewing oil out the exhaust I'm inclined to move all the 6 bits over to the better chassis.

Anyway, I'll be lurking for a bit more then asking questions as the work starts.

Here are a few photos of the barn car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(gil914 @ Dec 19 2011, 07:34 PM) *

I recently found an old 74 2.0 914 in a barn. OK, I put it there 10 years ago,

That's Funny! welcome.png assimilate.gif
Tom_T
welcome.png

I know exactly what you mean about creating your own barn find, as my 73 2L sat in my garage from 5/85 to 2010 when I started working on bringing her back - albeit slowly & intermittently since 2010 due to too many other things going on! dry.gif
carr914
welcome.png
G e o r g e
welcome.png

show us the Pics on your Parts car as well
draganc
welcome.png

pm me your details. i'm just about to move from princeton to franklin and good pick with Tangerine racing. they did a great job on my engine.....
KaptKaos
Hmmm....

Very interesting....

A barn in Somerset?? idea.gif
gil914
House is 1850, the actual bank barn was torched by an arsonist in the 50's, the pig shed, what I call a barn, is where the 914s lived, the horse shed is where they will hopefully get fixed, the chicken coop is full of seats, doors, trunks, rims, tires, etc.

There are some rural(ish) parts in Somerset.

I'll get pictures of the parts car. It looks decent from 10 feet. Just don't get underneath it. It has a full cage and I'm thinking it will likely just end up fully tube framed. Gee, tube framed, 10s in the rear, 8s in front, no engine, hmmm. My WRX should be worried...
KaptKaos
I know many of the "rural" parts of Somerset. Peapack, Bernardsville, etc...

Looks like a nicely preserved shell. Please post moar pics!

gil914
Would that it were. We're in that other part of Somerset County called Franklin Township. Still some rural parts but just plain rural not country gentry rural. smile.gif

I'll see what I can do about the scary pics....
KaptKaos
Franklin huh? I remember playing against a fella named Darin Roberts back in the day. Ring a bell?
dangrouche
heck I would be happy to have a barn that had a four-point lift!
zymurgist
welcome.png
JRust
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Dec 19 2011, 08:27 PM) *

heck I would be happy to have a barn that had a four-point lift!

agree.gif . I was just thinking the same thing. Wish my barn had a lift sad.gif
PanelBilly
And I thought I was doing good when I found a few ones$$ in a pair of pants I hadn't worn in a while...
gil914
As requested a few pics of the ugly stuff. It looks better than some, worse than others. I also threw in a pic of the very nice car that I ruined, it will return someday I hope...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
johannes
welcome.png

From far away....
gil914
I dropped the car off with Chris at CFR to have the structural and rust issus taken care of. Very nice people and some beautiful cars. He took a blunt pick to the car and banged it pretty well. It held up better than I had expected. Definately worth saving.

Now I need to get an engine. I have two candidates. The four which ran strong but puked oil. It hasn't run for 10 years when it fogged some mosquitoes and then 8 years before that when it was last on the road.

The other is/was a fresh 2.2s 6cyl with efi that hasn't run for about 8 years. I'm dropping that engine and putting it up on a stand to clean it out and see how it looks. I would like to not take this apart but until I put a scope into the cylinders I won't know what I have.

So how do you drop a 6 with a Rich Johnson mount. It seems hard to get up there and hold the nut on the top of the mount?
markb
welcome.png
SLITS
QUOTE(gil914 @ Dec 29 2011, 06:19 PM) *

So how do you drop a 6 with a Rich Johnson mount. It seems hard to get up there and hold the nut on the top of the mount?

1.) Remove the engine sealing tin in the front of the engine.

2.) Disconnect all the wires, fuel lines, CVs, etc.

3.) Support engine

4.) Put box end wrench bolt head on top and let arm of wrench lock against body or engine.

5.) Remove bottom nut

6.) Disconnect trans mounts

7.) Drop engine.
gil914
Thank you, thank you. I was missing step 1 and trying to do it all from the bottom which wasn't working very well!
Series9
Man, that car looks wet while it's sitting inside.

Let's have a look under the carpet and in the hell-hole.
gil914
Post #16, picture 3 is hell hole. Floors seem pretty good for a NJ 914. No replacement floors will be required although a few small patches may be necessary. Ony 1 pinhole found in the floor thus far. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing really bad turns up.
gil914
My poor wife should sell my trailer when I'm not looking. I did it again, I just can't resist.... headbang.gif

73-1.7 2 owner, same owner since 1977, appears to have been shut down around 2001 with about 105K miles. Stack of receipts and a consumers report guide to small sedans with the Honda Accord circled.... All original except for that stupid rear "Porsche" trunk thing that I can't figure out how to open. One hit, very poorly repaired, in right front. Perfect interior. Motor frozen but all f.i. present. Substancial rust in all of the usual places. Lots of parts that I "need" and plenty that I don't.

Click to view attachment

draganc
QUOTE(gil914 @ Feb 2 2012, 06:29 AM) *

My poor wife should sell my trailer when I'm not looking. I did it again, I just can't resist.... headbang.gif

that is too funny! i'll swing by for a stop&chat next week if you are around and have time.

congrats on the new car and yes, silver cars are the coolest ;-).

dragan
gil914
I'm here all of the time. Feel free to stop by. When I get the lift free I'll take a real look underneath. I think I'll have fun learning to weld on this one.

I bought it for the center console, speaker pods, door panels, gas tank overflow, shift rod, and to use as a 3-d map when reassembling the 74 2.0. It was pretty cheap so I'll only have to sell a few parts some day to pay for it.

Here is a picture of the 74. So far nothing too scary but I still worry.

Click to view attachment
gil914
Well the "barn find" is back from Chris and Ed. All of the structural rust is expertly repaired. Most people would be hard pressed to even tell that repairs were made. The bottom and rockers are all repainted with epoxy primer. Somehow a good used 2.0 with D-Jet found it's way into the back of the truck on the way home so the engine choice is taken care of for now.

The car is 80% disassembled, lights, glass, door trim, a few seals is about all that is remaining.

I was torn about what to do with the car now. On the one hand I could put it all back together, old ratty seals, so-so interior, bad paint, bondo'd quarter panel, primer on bottom, and just get it on the road again. On the other I could strip the rest of it, sand off the repaint, find all of the bondo, replace the quarter panel, and have it resprayed. Then put it all back together.

After reflection and considering various WAF criteria. I think it is better to have a ratty, yet running 914 vs a great restoration. So I guess it is going back together as is. I'm not even going to replace the interior or cracked dash with a good set since it will all come out again at some point.

Any opinions about the primer. Should I leave it alone and just drive it that way or should I get a rattle can of matching color and spray it for now and then deal with it when I do the full respray?

Any thoughts, experiences, alternate plans welcome.
poorsche914
QUOTE(gil914 @ Jun 2 2012, 09:47 AM) *
I think it is better to have a ratty, yet running 914 vs a great restoration.

agree.gif

driving.gif
mepstein
Get it on the road asap. Enjoy driving the summer and fall. Work on it again over the winter.
Mr.242
Do the resto! piratenanner.gif
Doesn't have to be museum quality, just done to protect your car and make it a driver.

Most 914 owners would kill for a shop with what you have available. Seriously the year(s) to get a fine shaped 914 is worth it.

Everyone else drives the ratty 914's...try to be different. biggrin.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jun 2 2012, 07:04 AM) *

Doesn't have to be museum quality, just done to protect your car and make it a driver.

Most 914 owners would kill for a shop with what you have available. Seriously the year(s) to get a fine shaped 914 is worth it.

agree.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jun 2 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Don't listen to him. He is crazy. Put it back together and driving.gif the stromberg.gif out of it.
effutuo101
Nice! I have been there.
do a driving restro on it. it will last for years. That is exactly what I am doing so I can have my ride around for a while.
abnrdo
Your off to a great start! and...

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.