Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wear those safety glasses!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Broke many bits in my day, but this one just went bang into several pieces. One cut my face and other went "ping" off my glasses. 1/4" on my drill press, a good Milwaukee drill bit from HD, not a cheap set.
Back in the day I was spotty about wearing safety glasses, this time it would have been disastrous. Stupid lucky, getting older was a good thing for once.
wacko.gif
bulitt
Absolutely correct!!!
For us older guys who need reading glasses they offer safety glasses with different strengths.
Glasses 1

Glasses 2

Here are some full vision (entire field magnified)
Full
6freak
saving an eye..... its all worth the BS of wearing them .smart move on your part smile.gif
stugray
One rule in my garage: There should be a set of safety glasses within three feet of you no matter where in the garage you are.
Making them convenient is the easiest way to make sure everyone wears them.

If you would like to test that rule, come on over for a beer drunk.gif

Stu
6freak
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 20 2011, 02:04 PM) *

One rule in my garage: There should be a set of safety glasses within three feet of you no matter where in the garage you are.
Making them convenient is the easiest way to make sure everyone wears them.

If you would like to test that rule, come on over for a beer drunk.gif

Stu

dang man your tight ....even when your buds drink beer they have to wear them ... laugh.gif
Drums66
.....Good advise......I use them all the time idea.gif
bye1.gif
Gint
I learned that lesson a few years back. If I get out a rotary tool that's powered by anything but my arm I put on eye protection. Well. except a drill/driver when driving screws that is. I do that all too often.
bigkensteele
agree.gif although I am not the best about wearing them as much as I should. Mainly because I need to have some made in my prescription.

When I was about 10, my brothers had a '65 Mustang convertible that I was helping them fix up. I ended up with a small shard of metal in my eye, and I didn't know it. I kept rubbing it, which made it embed in my cornea. It didn't bother me too much until the next sunny day when we went to a Reds game. Holy stromberg.gif did it hurt!

Mom took me to the opthamologist and he attempted to dig it out with a hypodermic needle, but I kept moving. He told me to hold still in an exasperated voice. I asked him if he thought that he might be able to hold still if I was holding a needle to his eyeball, and he got my point. He ended doing surgery. When I woke up, he apologized for being kind of a jerk and told us that he would not have been able to get it using the needle. He actually had to drill it out. I was really lucky that it did not go any deeper.

That was 33 years ago, and I remember it well enough to know that I don't want to go through it again.
underthetire
Yup. Had a piece in my eye from my bench belt sander for almost a week. Was getting red, ok got red, was about to go see the eye doc and out it fell. Eye was back to normal next day, but I keep safety glasses at every power tool now.
championgt1
Have them on all the time at work. I lost count of how many times I have had shit "ping" off the lenses.
Gint
I've been to an opthamologist twice to have crap pulled out of an eyeball. Years ago. Saw that drill close up and personal. I don't need to do that again.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 20 2011, 10:55 PM) *

I've been to an opthamologist twice to have crap pulled out of an eyeball. Years ago. Saw that drill close up and personal. I don't need to do that again.

agree.gif Me too! And flash burns several times. Mostly while welding in the shipyard next to two other guys all day. Can't help but get nailed. I wear cheaters now but put on over googles and ear protection when grinding, drilling now. I'm going to check into the cheater saftey glasses in that link!

Rule in my shop was if you wanted the day off just let me catch you without your glasses. First time slap.gif Second time bye1.gif See ya!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.