Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right hand drive / 1969 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914.SBC
I am wondering how many 1969's are still left out there and also curious to know if there were any right hand drive 914's ever made.

Tom_T
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Dec 21 2011, 06:42 PM) *

I am wondering how many 1969's are still left out there and also curious to know if there were any right hand drive 914's ever made.

1969 would only be a build date between Aug. & Dec. 1969 for a 1970 model, but I don't know if even Porsche has monthly or split year records for them.

Similarly - all of the 1976 MY 914s were actually built in late 1975 AFAIK.

Auto Mfgrs. all go by the split year "model year" & sometimes dice it up into XXXX.5 just to confuse everyone! biggrin.gif

EDIT -
I found this 914 production numbers chart done by PCA with PCNA's help:

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Don't think there are factory any RHD 914's
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 21 2011, 06:54 PM) *
I found this 914 production numbers chart done by PCA with PCNA's help:

Or, you could just look here:

http://www.914world.com/specs/productionnumbers.php

As for RHD, this has been discussed here before. A quick search would tell you that there were a total of zero (0) factory RHD 914s.

There was, however, a company that did quite a few conversions over the years. I don't remember the name or time-frame or how many they converted.

We have in fact several members here with RHD cars ...
shades.gif
Tom_T
I just hunted for my bookmarks on RHD 914 conversions that are on here with other links, but can't find them quickly right now.......must be my half-zymers kicking in! blink.gif

The factory never did any RHD 914s, although the steering gear etc. are clearly set-up for them to do so, and the books on the 914's history indicated that they intended to do so eventually - had production continued & grew, rather than shrunk after 1974, and a few other factors.

There was a UK company, Crayford IIRC, that did aftermarket RHD conversions on the 914s for the UK & more limited outside markets (a few made their way down-under to the land of OZ). Unfortunately, the cost of the 914 + UK tariffs/VAT/etc. + the RHD conversion jacked the price up higher than a new Jag XKE, so they weren't too popular even there.

There were also some privateer RHD conversions.

EDIT -

HA!!! Found it!!!! type.gif
http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/914crayford.htm

Cheers! santa_smiley.gif
gms
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Dec 21 2011, 08:42 PM) *

I have a 914/6 and a 914/4 that were built in 1969 but they are 1970 MY cars
phillstek
Tom is correct, Crayfords did the conversions. The Australian importer Hamiltons brought 2 cars here in 1970 that the factory sent to Crayford for the conversion first.

It was decided that importing 914's was not economically viable so they were never marketed in Australia. One of the conversions was sent back while the other remained here but no-one seems to know what happened to that one.

phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.