Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PMO package arrived!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
Well, my PMO stuff arrived. New K&N filters and watershields, and a few other items.

He recommended (and I agreed based on that) a vapor kit that's supposed to route oil tank vapors to the filters.

Anyone set this up on their /6 or /6 conversion? Got pics?

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
If it is what I'm thinking it is... it normally doesnt work very well. You end up with semi oily carbs on the insides that face each other and oil on the fan shroud.

I'm really surprised you went this route. You could have slapped a K+N in the stock 9146 air cleaner got almost the same effect.

Shoot some pics.

B
Lawrence
I went this route to clean up the inside of the engine compartment. That elephant foot air cleaner is HUGE.

I trust the PMO, and didn't think they would sell me something to make a couple of extra bucks. I may hook it up and see what it looks like. Oil on the inside of my carbs isn't something I'm interested in.

It appears that this setup combines the oil tank vent line, plus the two vent lines that normally go to the chacoal canister.

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
Yep. That is it. Olav canned it quickly on his car when it all it did was oil down the inside of the engine compartment.

However.... his engine moves a lot more crank case pressure than yours does.. It should be "Ok" on yours.

I hear you about the factory setup... but they did their homework. The oil breather line is at the base of the main piece and isnt exposed like the PMO setup.

Show us...show us... I want to know if they changed the setup or now sell a one way check valve for the fittings !!

B
Lawrence
Hey Brad,

Here's a pic of everything I got in the package.

A set of air cleaners with watershields. Some nyloc nuts for my carbs. And the vent kit (upper right).

No check valve in the setup.

-Rusty
si2t3m
Hi Lawrence,

Yup, that's the way mine is setup.

The vent kit is connected to the breather pipe coming back from the tank, with the F end to route the hoses to each of the Watershield tops.

No oil in the engine compartement or on the fan shroud. Air horns get a little foggy but it's ok, they are hidden under the Watershield!

Marc-André
Lawrence
Marc-Andre,

Do you have a stock 914/6 engine?

My stock air cleaner has three hoses that connect to it. One up high on the fan shroud, one near the flywheel and the other to vent the oil tank.

Is yours the same?
silver six
I don't have a vent from the intake but only a breather for the oil tank. Brad advises that the breather will overflow and make a mess of the engine compartment but I have had no problems so far.
silver six
I "u-turned" the plumming with copper pipe to get the fluids to drain downward. Before I u-turned the pipe, the rubber hose was connected to the tank and it would sweep down low before rising up and connecting to the breather. This created, in the middle of the hose, a spot for liquid to settle.

Douglas
si2t3m
It's not an original 6. For now the 'fuel vapors' hoses are venting in the engine compartement.

But if you look close at the F thingy in you picture (the white connector with the fittings on it) , You will be able to connect the breather hose from the oil tank to it. You will also be able to connect the plastic hose that you have (cut in 2) to get the from the F to the watershield tops. That solve the venting from the oiltank/crankcase.

Next, at the end of the F you can either use the plug or install another fitting. This fitting will serve to attach the hose coming from the charcoal canister so you can vent back the fuel vaports to the intake. The hose 'pushing the air to the charcoal canister should stay on the port of the shroud.

The way I figure the hoses on the oem air cleaner:
One for the oil tank (pretty obvious)
One for the fuel vapors coming from the charcoal canister.
The last one to route oil that could get into the air cleaner out of it and out of the engine compartement via the hole in the tin for the wires going to the starter.

Marc-André
Brad Roberts
Nothing has changed.

The kit looks great, but it doesnt function anything like the factory setup.

It will probably work great on engines under 2.7 liter...I cant make it work on anything over 2.7 liter. It pukes oil out the little fittings that go into the side of the watershield tops and leaks oil down the carbs... then the fan whips it up.

If you never rev the engine over 4kRPM for prolonged periods (with the larger engines)... I'm sure it will work fine.

B
Lawrence
Looks like I'm going to have to find a bottle to fabricate.

I saw several nice examples in the previous thread. Is heat not an issue for the bottle in the engine compartment?
Brad Roberts
The bottles are designed for under hood (V8 car) heat... you will be fine.

I would like for you to test for us. Hook it up just like they show and run it for a week. I'll PayPal you 3$ for brake cleaner if it makes a mess.

I'm serious. I really want to know if its just me or the large displacement engines causing this. If we put around town and never jump on the loud pedal... this setup works great... but who drives like that when you own a Porsche ??

B
si2t3m
DOH!!!

Running a 3.0L in mine... Did a DE last year and will be doing several this year... Did run over over 4k for a while but the engine died when i hit 6k... Fan took the best part of the wire going from the dizzy to the MSD box... All tiewraped now! biggrin.gif

I now think it would be smart to go the catch can way instead, and route the vapors from the catch can back to the carbs.

Marc-André
si2t3m
I'll be a test mule also!!! (for free)

I'm running mine around with this setup (and I do see over 4k on a regular basis).

I'll drive it hard (like if you are twisting my arm) if the weather clears up. I'll be on a track on the 10th for training and it should see some 4k+ there also.

I'll keep in touch! (read: you won't get rid of me!) tongue.gif

Marc-André
Brad Roberts
Marc,

You have been around since the ALL914 chat days... we cant get rid of you.

(besides..I need your French help translating a SSI website for me...)LOL

B
si2t3m
Let me know if you need translating! I'll be more than happy!

Marc-André
Lawrence
I have plenty of carb cleaner, Brad. boldblue.gif

I'll set it up this weekend, weather permitting - and chase around town for a slobber bottle. Maybe I'll find something at a FLAPS. No real speed shops around here, but if I find a good bottle, a trip to the plumbing section of Ace Hardware will do the trick nicely.

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.