Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
Looking into getting the factory heat exchangers cleaned and ceramic coated (or Jet Hot). Any ideas on this. Wondering about how folks have done this - does the media get into the exchangers? Thinking about gray.

Next question - on a 914-6 what heater parts are needed (elbow and does the stock 914-4 heater flapper thing work on a 914-6)?

Last question - no need for a external blower motor (like a 914-4 has)? I guess the air movement from the cooling fan on the motor does the job well?

Thanks for the help.
Mr.242
Here is a picture of what I had done to mine. Done At Performance Coating in Auburn, WA. http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

Let me know if you want me to help coordinate the pickup or drop off. Give 'em a call to see what they do. I really like 'em and can't wait to see them on the car.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I had Jet-Hot coat mine, and they came out fine. If it helps preserve them, it's worthwhile in my opinion.

The heater flaps are the same in the -4 and -6, and the air that I get from the -6 engine seems to heat the inside just fine. I don't really drive in the winter too much, so I don't know how well they do in extreme cold. When I had a 74 914 2.0 in college as my daily driver, the -4 exchangers seemed to work fine, so I don't think you will be disappointed with the resultant heat.
SLITS
I wanted mine coated inside and out(Jet Hot). I was told that coating the inside was a waste of time as appropriate cleaning of the inside would be near impossible and the coating would not stay in place on the inside.

If the blast media got inside the clamshells, it could be easily blown out.

I am going to coat the HEs and muffler. Hopefully I will see the 35% reduction in level of heat in my trunk.
Mr.242
The heater flaps in a SIX have a large hole on them for when heat is not needed. The 4's could be easily modified to mimic original six.
david63
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Dec 22 2011, 08:28 AM) *

The heater flaps in a SIX have a large hole on them for when heat is not needed. The 4's could be easily modified to mimic original six.

Good to know, will look for a picture (I think I still have Auto Atlanta's catalog with all those parts around here somewhere) of the heater flap. I will need to purchase all the heater parts (2 heater "flaps" or whatever they are called, the needed metal ducting and a couple of hoses) so I am making a list.
SLITS
QUOTE(david63 @ Dec 22 2011, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Dec 22 2011, 08:28 AM) *

Good to know, will look for a picture (I think I still have Auto Atlanta's catalog with all those parts around here somewhere) of the heater flap. I will need to purchase all the heater parts (2 heater "flaps" or whatever they are called, the needed metal ducting and a couple of hoses) so I am making a list.

Here ya go ....

IPB Image

They attach directly to the HE so there is no other "metal" parts ... only flex hoses.
eric9144
I've wondered for quite a while if I could pull my HE's (in pretty damn good shape) and get them coated...or it they only coated 'new' parts...

Sounds like they can do the old ones to me if you guys are doing /6 HE's...
SLITS
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Dec 22 2011, 07:49 AM) *

I've wondered for quite a while if I could pull my HE's (in pretty damn good shape) and get them coated...or it they only coated 'new' parts...

Sounds like they can do the old ones to me if you guys are doing /6 HE's...

They will coat it as long as there are no holes in it. The major part is getting the metal clean enough to take the coating and that's their job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.