Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie with simi restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ww914
First, my apologies to 911 defector. Being a newbie, I don't know all the proper protocol. I didn't mean to jump on your thread, so I will start my own. To introduce myself, I am an old fart (67) with a young mindset. I love to drive, I wrench most of my own stuff and I still get a kick out of it. This year I sold my Carrera S and bought a 75 914 from a fellow in the local PCA club. I live on the Central Coast in CA and love all the cool roads in the area. Anyway, I am in the process of having the engine rebuilt by Mark at Original Restorations and I am doing all the rest of the prep myself. I have ordered a load of parts from Eric at PMB Performance. The car has very little rust and I have been working on that. My questions to the group is "Are you interested in seeing the progress of the re-build or would that be boring to some of you that have been doing this for a long time? I would be very open to sugestions, criticism or the like. I am not thin-skined, but I am not afraid to shoot back. So, let's hear what you have to say.
Spoke
welcome.png

We would love to see what you're doing on your car. Post lots of pics as many of us don't want to read.

We like to see what other members are doing since most of us don't have time to work on our cars and its good to see others doing what we wish we had time (and money) to do.
mepstein
welcome.png

Show us!
pt_700
i agree! please share progress on your project. seems you've already found some of the best to help you with engines and brakes.

wow! modern carrera s to ancient 914. you've got it bad!

welcome to yet another model of the brand madness!
biosurfer1
QUOTE(ww914 @ Dec 22 2011, 08:45 AM) *

...Mark at Original Restorations...Eric at PMB Performance.

You've obviously done your homework and are off to a very good start!
welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif
Mikey914
Welcome,
Please post your pics and you can kind of keep a journal of your progress. It's allways cool to look back at where you were when you're done. Also, you will learn a thing or two as we all do with these cars. It's allways nice to have a few eyes on what you are doing so other memebers can let you know what they learned and maybe save you some grief. You may also learn somthing that someone can benifit from in the future. The search function will be your friend, and the knowledge you recieve will add to the group collectively.

-Mark
PS Lots of pics
KELTY360
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 22 2011, 09:30 AM) *

welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif assimilate.gif

agree.gif

Cairo94507
Welcome, welcome, welcome. Please take pictures as you progress in your project so we can all enjoy it with you. I personally like to see project threads because it keeps me motivated for my car.

Best wishes.
Tom_T
welcome.png ... from a nearly as old fart to another! biggrin.gif
dr.tim
Central Coast? Some nice roads out there!

biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
Are you the guy that originally thought about a Subaru engine, and has the marathon blue 914 at McMark's shop?
biggrin.gif
I am the guy who was working on my black 914, advancing my rustoration w Mark's help. My 914 is back at home now beerchug.gif
Just tell Mark you want deluxe service, with 914 World progress thread included!
laugh.gif
I bet he already has some pics
shades.gif
ww914

Are you the guy that originally thought about a Subaru engine, and has the marathon blue 914 at McMark's shop?

Nope, not me. Mark De Bernardi only has my engine and transaxle. The rest is in my garage with some photos coming soon.
Drums66
welcome.png .........I dig 75's myself smilie_pokal.gif
peace bye1.gif ......but I stuck with the carrera 87'
MikeSpraggi
welcome.png Welcome. You're in the same house, just another room! As far as your build thread, someone always learns something from someone else's build. Would love to see your progress. It feeds our addiction.

BTW, do you have a set of good jack stands yet?? happy11.gif
3d914
Definitely share the progress - which some of us are able to make more of, faster than others. lol-2.gif
underthetire
And make sure you ask here before you buy major parts like seals etc.. welcome.png
Lennies914
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
markb
welcome.png

You're just down the road from me, let's get together sometime! beerchug.gif

Before you start buying ANYTHING, let me know. I have lots of jun....er, um, ....high quality used parts that I would love to make you a deal on. smile.gif
computers4kids

First, my apoligies to 911 defector. Being a newbie, I don't know all the proper protocol. I didn't mean to jump on your thread, so I will start my own. To introduce myself, I am an old fart (67) with a young mindset. I love to drive, I wrench most of my own stuff and I still get a kick out of it. This year I sold my Carrera S and bought a 75 914 from a fellow in the local PCA club. I live on the Central Coast in CA and love all the cool roads in the area. Anyway, I am in the process of having the engine rebuilt by Mark at Original Restorations and I am doing all the rest of the prep myself. I have ordered a load of parts from Eric at PMB Performance. The car has very little rust and I have been working on that. My questions to the group is "Are you interested in seeing the progress of the re-build or would that be boring to some of you that have been doing this for a long time? I would be very open to sugestions, criticism or the like. I am not thin-skined, but I am not afraid to shoot back. So, let's hear what you have to say.

Please post. My dad lives in AG and we have a place over in Pismo. It would be nice to connect sometime. The Coast is my old stomping grounds. I currently live in the Valley buy come over frequently.
Mark
rnellums
A time stamped record can come in handy as well! I look forward to seeing some progress!
EdwardBlume
This site is 100% 914s. Post away. Btw I was born and raised in nipomo / Santa maria! Great roads, but cruise up our way sometime.... driving.gif
ww914
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 23 2011, 11:02 PM) *

This site is 100% 914s. Post away. Btw I was born and raised in nipomo / Santa maria! Great roads, but cruise up our way sometime.... driving.gif

Will do Rob.
ww914
When I first bought car:
Click to view attachment
Dropped the engine:
Click to view attachment
Engine loaded to deliver to McMark:
Click to view attachment
Engine compartment before. Note battery holder completely rusted out, but hell hole not too bad:
Click to view attachment
Engine compartment after clean-up and new battery holder installed:
Click to view attachment
Cleaned up rear wheel well area and painted:
Click to view attachment
Painted control arms almost ready to install:
Click to view attachment
Parts ready for paint or plating:
Click to view attachment
New parts ready to install:
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
NICE! wub.gif
Strudelwagon
Love the colour! keep the pics coming! drooley.gif
abnrdo
beerchug.gif

Very nice!! welcome.png

-Jim
ww914
Wheel half done sandblasting

Click to view attachment

Used Harbor Freight blaster and 80 grit media

Click to view attachment

Finished wheel ready for polishing and painting. I will polish the raised leafs and paint the others silver like the originals. I picked a little darker silver for more contrast. I was going to do black, but think I will stay kinda stock. I will post a pic when done.

Click to view attachment

Add: By the way, this is the spare. I wanted to see how the blasting worked out before I do the road wheels.
JmuRiz
Oooooo, this is looking good already. With that attention to detail and the two member-vendors here helping with parts/engine....you will have a really nice car.

Where'd you get the paint to re-paint the engine bay? Did you use color-match cans?
ww914
The paint in the engine compartment came from the local auto paint store. I used the paint code to match and srayed it myself. It is a two stage paint, but I could have used single stage, which I used in the wheel wells. Expensive, but the color match is perfect.
ww914
Installed the trailing arms, shocks, rotors and rebuilt calipers. Had a problem with the CV joints, so I am waiting to install the stub axles until I get them back from the machine shop. Everything is pretty much stock, except for the 140 lb springs.

I have pulled off that ratty looking rocker panel and found dirt and rust. Need to clean that area up and do a little welding. I will take pictures of that area and post them.

Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Dec 22 2011, 11:08 AM) *

...Mark at Original Restorations...Eric at PMB Performance.

You've obviously done your homework and are off to a very good start!
welcome.png

agree.gif

It also helps that you have a very solid car to start with. That will save you tons of grief and $. Keep the pics coming.
ww914
It also helps that you have a very solid car to start with. That will save you tons of grief and $. Keep the pics coming

John - You are absolutely right. There is a little rust here and there, but nothing like what you started with.
ww914
As you can see in this photo, there is significant rust damage to the jack insert. When I removed the rocker panels, rocks, dirt and other misc. things fell out. This area was obviously a very wet, muddy collection of crud, therefore the damage. This side is the worst, but both sides had damage. IF YOU HAVE NOT REMOVED YOUR ROCKER PANELS, PUT IT ON YOUR BUCKET LIST NOW!

Click to view attachment

This is the re-inforcement template I used. I made a cardboard template to form the shape and then transferred it to the piece of 18 guage sheet metal.

Click to view attachment

As you can see by the completed, welded piece, I am not a welder by trade. But then I am sure it is stronger now than the original, without the rust. Besides, the rocker panel will hide my handiwork.

Click to view attachment

This is the opposite side, but you get the picture. At least the jack insert willl work if I ever need it. And, more imlportantly, the frame in that area is re-inforced.

Click to view attachment

I am now working on the front end, replacing fuel lines and sealing the gas tank, etc. More photos later.

chuckc
QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 23 2012, 11:17 AM) *

As you can see in this photo, there is significant rust damage to the jack insert. When I removed the rocker panels, rocks, dirt and other misc. things fell out. This area was obviously a very wet, muddy collection of crud, therefore the damage. This side is the worst, but both sides had damage. IF YOU HAVE NOT REMOVED YOUR ROCKER PANELS, PUT IT ON YOUR BUCKET LIST NOW!

This is the re-inforcement template I used. I made a cardboard template to form the shape and then transferred it to the piece of 18 guage sheet metal.

As you can see by the completed, welded piece, I am not a welder by trade. But then I am sure it is stronger now than the original, without the rust. Besides, the rocker panel will hide my handiwork.

This is the opposite side, but you get the picture. At least the jack insert willl work if I ever need it. And, more imlportantly, the frame in that area is re-inforced.

I am now working on the front end, replacing fuel lines and sealing the gas tank, etc. More photos later.

Love it, very motivating! keep em coming
Cairo94507
I am impressed with your work and the devotion you have to your car. Keep the pictures coming please.
CG-914
wub.gif love the color!!!!
OU8AVW
An you had to ask if we wanted to see this! Incredible work brother. Motivational to the max!
markb
Update? bye1.gif
markyb
I like the pic of the engine with tool #1 on the ground next to it. Hopefully you didn't need to use it to much!

I have a '75 myself, except originally a 1.8, enlarged to something that I haven't figured out yet. The PO put a FAT stroker crank and big bore kit on it, and I was told it is over 2 liters now...

Nice job on your cleanup work, is the engine going to remain stock with fuel injection when it's done?
ww914
I have been really busy with cleaning the gas tank, installing new fuel lines and getting the car ready for the engine, which I picked up last Sunday from Mark De Bernardi. I pulled the tank to change the fuel lines and fuel pump, etc., and this is what if found.

Click to view attachment

I did a little research here, found and tried the Electrolysis method of removing the rust. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the post I got the info from, but it was very well written.

Click to view attachment

It is basically a 12 volt battery, battery charger, cables and pieces of rebar used as the sacrificial electrodes. The electrolyte solution is water and laundry soda.

Click to view attachment

Here are the electrodes out of the solution.

Click to view attachment

This is what the solution looked like.

Click to view attachment

The process took almost a week and I still wasn't satisfied with the results.

Click to view attachment

I was tired of messing with it and let it sit without drying the tank. Damm it.

Click to view attachment

I then bought the POR-15 stuff and after using their prep products and sealing solution, I was very pleased with the result.

Click to view attachment

Here is the tank painted and re-installed.

Click to view attachment

I will post more later.

Eric_Shea
Looking great Warren! We're getting there wink.gif thumb3d.gif
TargaToy
QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 24 2012, 07:29 PM) *

I did a little research here, found and tried the Electrolysis method of removing the rust. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the post I got the info from, but it was very well written.

I used the electrolytic method for removing the rust from my very crusty pedal cluster before I rebuilt it and I was pleased with the results. Too bad I don't have a vat big enough to drop the whole chasis into lol-2.gif
ww914
When I opened the tunnel to install my new stainless steal fuel lines, look what I found. Yes, a ton of rust, but doesn't look like any structural damage.

Click to view attachment

So, after vacuuming out all the loose stuff, I used a bottle brush to coat the entire tunnel inside. I think I got most of it. This photo shows the new fuel lines installed with a rubber protective sleeve where the tabs are holding the lines. I only needed one line, but just in case someone wants to go back to FI, the return line is there.

Click to view attachment

This is the new lines in the engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

...and under the tank.

Click to view attachment

I painted the blower housing dark metallic silver after I picked up the engine from Mark a week or so ago.

Click to view attachment

....to match the wheels.

Click to view attachment

What do you guys think of the color? The wheel on the car is the original color.
Strudelwagon
repainted wheel looks great. Did you do the polish on the lip yourself?
SW
arg
QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 29 2012, 04:31 PM) *

When I opened the tunnel to install my new stainless steal fuel lines, look what I found. Yes, a ton of rust, but doesn't look like any structural damage.

Click to view attachment

So, after vacuuming out all the loose stuff, I used a bottle brush to coat the entire tunnel inside. I think I got most of it. This photo shows the new fuel lines installed with a rubber protective sleeve where the tabs are holding the lines. I only needed one line, but just in case someone wants to go back to FI, the return line is there.

Click to view attachment

This is the new lines in the engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

...and under the tank.

Click to view attachment

I painted the blower housing dark metallic silver after I picked up the engine from Mark a week or so ago.

Click to view attachment

....to match the wheels.

Click to view attachment

What do you guys think of the color? The wheel on the car is the original color.

wheel looks great, color works well. I also like the engine and carb linkage.
Irish914
welcome.png piratenanner.gif
JmuRiz
Looking good, let me know if you re-find the information on the electrolysis method you used. Looks like a good thing to do, then POR the tank like you did.
ww914
The engine is in. All I need to do now is hook everything up. Had to use an extra jack to help the motorcycle jack get the ass-end up.

Click to view attachment

Nathan - Here is the link to the electrolysis information I used: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=150777&hl=
ww914
Had a little stumble with the break-in. I need to get the engine back to Mark so he can take a look. That's it for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.