Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery relocation & wire routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I converted my car to a racecar.
Passenger compartment was gutted & replaced with two race seats & rollcage

I bought a braile 17lb race battery and I will locate it behind the passenger seat (seat is non-adjustable).
I have room to spare back there because the pass. seat is against the rollbar.

I also bought the "battery bulkhead feedthru":

IPB Image

Question:

Should I make the bulkhead feedthrus come through the back firewall ABOVE the engine-tin-shelf, or BELOW the shelf and straight to the starter??

The standard design for these cars is to use the terminal on the starter as sort of a positive terminal for lots of other stuff.

If I put this feedthru terminal in, I can use IT as the main terminal for all things.

I also have a master battery disconnect that I want to mount on the engine cover door. So that plays into where to put the terminals.

So Above the engine shelf, or below?

Stu
McMark
Batteries have been known to explode. unsure.gif
strawman
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 22 2011, 10:08 PM) *

Batteries have been known to explode. unsure.gif

agree.gif I believe most race sanctioning bodies require batteries within the passenger compartment to be contained within a box for that reason. I know we had to do that for our 24 Hours of Lemons Opel GT...
stugray
"Batteries have been known to explode."

yes, but I believe this is only with the "open" type of lead acid batteries and only during charging in an enclosed area.
If sealed LA batteries exploded, we would hear a lot more about that since every UPS on our computers contains them.

The race battery is a seal lead acid.

Any how, I will enclose it if required.

Just cant decide where to drill the holes.

Stu
SLITS
If you go through the lower firewall, I believe it is doubled walled (space in between) depending on how low you are talking about.

Personally, I would drill a hole and pass the cable through a rubber grommet, just like on the back of the engine tin.

but

I put my batteries in the front or rear trunk.

In my day, a guy was killed in a roll-over when his battery in the passenger compartment broke loose from its' mount AND he was wearing a helmet.
stugray
"when his battery in the passenger compartment broke loose from its' mount "

I once rolled a 71 Karmann Ghia, and the only reason I didnt drive away (after rolling back on wheels) was because the battery came loose and broke the dist. cap.

Mine is only 17lbs and will be held down as well as my fuel cell.

Thanks for the tip about the double wall down low.

Stu

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.