Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
What is your opinion of what side of the Ultimate Engine Sound Pad to expose in the Engine bay? Shiny side (foil looking or black). Here is a pic of the foil type in a 6 conversion that recently sold on ebay for $22K. I kinda like the foil side as it brightens the compartment. I know many don't like to cover this wall at all. Chime in...It's always great to hear from you guys!!

partwerks
Might be just another thing for moisture to get trapped in behind, but don't know for sure.
As far as reducing, noise, I'd put it on the inside instead.

If you want to brighten the engine compartment, then paint it chrome or something would be my suggestion.........
sean_v8_914
bare fire wall inside engine compartment. 2 layers of fat mat inside cabin followed by a later of carpet sound pad under the factory back pad , RESEAL THE REAR WINDOW, no solid mounts anywhere.
GeorgeRud
I have that same mat on the firewall of my conversion, and it looks nice. I'm not really sure if it's really any quieter than my other car without the mat.

The heavy factory mat just looks too ugly for me to put back in!
kkid
I have installed same pad in my 964 earlier this year. Checked with the manufacturer to make sure which side should be exposed for better insulation. Their answer is black side. I painted the edge in red.

Click to view attachment
rnellums
I bought that one and didn't notice much of a difference. It was thicker than stock too and I had some difficulty re-installing my fuse block cover.
euro911
Mike (Ruby Red) gave me some acoustic material that had flannel/juke in the middle and foil on both sides.

So I installed the foil side against the firewall ...

... and the foil side towards the engine blink.gif
IronHillRestorations
I installed some four layer foam sound mat in a couple cars. I used the expensive mylar tape on all the edges, and attached it with mechanical fasteners (big fender rivets) and high quality adhesive. As far as I know, it's held up OK.

On a occasional use, fair weather car; I wouldn't worry too much about corrosion. The big concern is the mat coming off and fouling the engine air flow.
bulitt
I'm thinking because a "Firewall" is supposed to stop vapors and flames from entering the passenger compartment attaching a product that could absorb oil and gas could present an potential safety issue. So I'm attaching all my sound stuff inside the cabin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.