Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 chip set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I had someone stop by yesterday wanting a chip and exhaust upgrade on his 84 911. I'm used to Autothority chips as being well done and reliable. this guy told me about 911chips.com and said he has heard good things.

Does anyone here have real exerience with these chips you can pass on ?

Probably will be using either a M&K exhaust with SSI exchangers, or a B&B complete setup

http://www.911chips.com/c1chips.html
zymurgist
911s have chips now? Who knew? tongue.gif
Series9
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 23 2011, 08:16 AM) *

I had someone stop by yesterday wanting a chip and exhaust upgrade on his 84 911. I'm used to Autothority chips as being well done and reliable. this guy told me about 911chips.com and said he has heard good things.

Does anyone here have real exerience with these chips you can pass on ?

Probably will be using either a M&K exhaust with SSI exchangers, or a B&B complete setup

http://www.911chips.com/c1chips.html

Yes. Steve Wong has become the gold-standard in 911 chips. He's currently making a chip for the 3.4 I'm finishing up this month.
mepstein
My 3.2 came with a custom chip from them. Seller said it made a difference and steve wong is a great guy to deal with. 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back seems like a no brainer.
scotty b
Ah, I have heard the name Steve Wong many times but did not realize this was his business. I think I'll go this route. I'm going tio see if the owner will spring for some dyno pulls before and after the mods. IF so I'm going to do this in steps. Base run, then a run with the chips only, then a run with the chips and exhaust done. I'd be interested to see what the real differences are with each change idea.gif I'm also thinking the SSI and M&K setup would be better than the B&B setup.
ChrisFoley
We installed one of Steve Wong's chips in the 3.6 conversion we finished a couple years ago.
We put in his preliminary upgrade chip and did some driving tests, including a couple runs up to 125. Then we sent him the data we collected with our LM-2 and he sent out a revised chip.
The owner complained that the Dansk dual tip muffler was way too loud so we installed an EVO Six muffler before taking the car to the dyno. The A/F dyno data was sent to Steve. He said everything looked good and that there was no need for a further revision.
255rwhp on a Dynojet seems pretty good to me.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 23 2011, 08:49 AM) *

I'm also thinking the SSI and M&K setup would be better than the B&B setup.

I don't care for the B&B heat exchangers. So-so workmanship and design. The only positive feature - they are polished stainless.

We installed a M&K single tip in a 911SC last year as part of an exhaust backdating project.
Its a nice piece, well constructed. Most of the price goes to the 321 stainless material.
However the internal design is very simple, with no sound absorbing material, so its fairly loud.
scotty b
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 23 2011, 06:10 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 23 2011, 08:49 AM) *

I'm also thinking the SSI and M&K setup would be better than the B&B setup.

I don't care for the B&B heat exchangers. So-so workmanship and design. The only positive feature - they are polished stainless.

We installed a M&K single tip in a 911SC last year as part of an exhaust backdating project.
Its a nice piece, well constructed. Most of the price goes to the 321 stainless material.
However the internal design is very simple, with no sound absorbing material, so its fairly loud.

Thanks Chris you confirmed my concerns with B&B, They seem more flash then anything else. I have never known anyone that used them and while they look great, there was just something I have always felt uncertain about. The kind of thing where it looks TOO good. Ya know dry.gif
Steve
On the subject of B&B heat exchangers, do they put out any heat at all or are they a waste of money compared to headers? I live in So. Cal, so I don't need defrosters, just something to kill the morning chill in the winter time.
I had a steve wong chip in my 3.2 and I did notice some top end difference. I also installed a Ford MAF on my 3.2 and that also seemed to breathe better at higher RPM's. That was 10 years ago and I can't remember why I took everything off and went back to stock except that the MAF used a cone air filter and the stock air filter was water proof.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ Dec 23 2011, 05:34 AM) *
Steve Wong has become the gold-standard in 911 chips.

agree.gif

I have one of his chips on my 3.6L ...
chowtime.gif
JmuRiz
I suggested Steve Wong chips to a friend of mine too (3.2 911), he says it is great. Just make sure you talk with them before ordering, there are lots of items he wants to know before setting up the chip...also a couple different chip-sets depending on the ECU #

Series9 - Ooooo, 3.4, that sounds fun. Man I wish I had the $ to do a 3.2 setup in my car!!!
shoguneagle
Everything said about Steve Wong has is true; and he is very knowledgeable. He shares his information and provides a great product.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 23 2011, 08:16 AM) *

Probably will be using either a M&K exhaust with SSI exchangers

There are a couple of hard oil lines you need in order to complete the SSI installation properly. I think Pelican has them. One of them needed a little "adjustment".
We also had some interference with the pinchweld on the DS heat exchanger against the omega spring on the clutch mechanism.
etcmss
I have one of Steve Wong's chips in my '87 and there is a noticeable difference from stock or other performance chips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.