Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear roll down widow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stonepilot
I did a seach but didnt find anything. Has anyone tried this? Thank you for any help
scotty b
yes Honda did it poke.gif I have thought about seeing if that setup could be adapted, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Just more noise and a possible vacuum would be created
BajaXJ92
Sounds like one more system to end up breaking. dry.gif
Mark Henry
If you look at high end convertibles they have a rear windscreen that pops up. This is to stop the wind buffeting as the air rolls over from the windshield.
A 914 already has this permanently in place.

As Scotty said the noise, mid-engine means the engine is less than a couple of feet from your head, add to that the fact it's aircooled. My bet is you'd have quite the ringing in your ears after a ride.
76-914
I'd rather have the roll up nite blinds that were used for LeMans.
Gint
Pull your rear window out and drive the car around for a while. BTDT. Once. Bring ear plugs.
VegasRacer
What I want is side vent windows. driving.gif
Jesse
Dittto on the side vents
rolleyes.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 23 2011, 07:23 AM) *

Pull your rear window out and drive the car around for a while. BTDT. Once. Bring ear plugs.

agree.gif Enough said.
FourBlades

Geez, I thought this thread was about something totally different from the title...

happy11.gif
stugray
There is a fairly significant "hump" in the middle of the rear firewall.
I just covered it in carpet and painted the engine side last night.

This would make it impossible for the rear window to roll down.

Stu
Dave_Darling
I drove around the block once with the rear window out of the car.

Once. That was more than enough.

The shape of the firewall does not lend itself to a roll-down window. You would have to flatten out enough of the firewall to make a space for the window, which would either cut into the inlet for cooling air, or into the seat travel. A new backpad would be needed, of course. At a guess, you'd probably wind up losing at least 6" of seat travel, which would be quite uncomfortable for most of us.

Add that to the very dubious benefits of having a REALLY LOUD engine right behind your head with zero sound insulation.

No, not worth it at all.

--DD
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Dec 23 2011, 07:50 AM) *

Or you could always quit smoking. happy11.gif
Series9
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 23 2011, 12:41 PM) *

I drove around the block once with the rear window out of the car.

Once. That was more than enough.

The shape of the firewall does not lend itself to a roll-down window. You would have to flatten out enough of the firewall to make a space for the window, which would either cut into the inlet for cooling air, or into the seat travel. A new backpad would be needed, of course. At a guess, you'd probably wind up losing at least 6" of seat travel, which would be quite uncomfortable for most of us.

Add that to the very dubious benefits of having a REALLY LOUD engine right behind your head with zero sound insulation.

No, not worth it at all.

--DD

agree.gif

racerbvd
Corvettes had a pop-out window in the 70s, there was a reason they changed the design, and the engine wasn't even behind that one..
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 23 2011, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Dec 23 2011, 07:50 AM) *

Or you could always quit smoking. happy11.gif

That's not why. slap.gif A teener vents smoke very well with the window cracked.
I want to direct more fresh air into the cabin to cool the driver in the summer heat.

JmuRiz
+1 on the vent wing windows, they'd be awesome
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.