Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension installation issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I'm woking on Irv and Dan's car. (914coop)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=132215

The car is a slope nose. I have the front flares tacked in place. There is obviously tire clearance issues for two reasons. One the tires are huge. 235/60/15's which will eventually be changed. And two because theflares are designed to be installed much higher on a stock fender. I am going to reshape the wheel opens.

That's not the issue:

Is it possible to get the front torsion tubes installed cocked? I measured the sheetmetal and front flares for location. They measure out very close. The problem is the drivers side tire seems to be 1/4-1/2" farther forward that the passenger side tire which is causing a serious clearance issue with the leading edge of the tire.

I noticed the forward torsion mount is slotted. Can this have been installed cocked or does the rear cross tube (rack mount) set the suspension square in the car?

Couple issues to point out. The car has had a front end repair and a suspension change to a 911 front suspension.
SLITS
Rick .... 6 bolts, as I remember, hold the suspension in place ... 4 in the front and 2 in the rear ...

my guess ... front end repair tweaked the tub ... so suspension is not sitting square to the body.

Drop a plumb bob from the suspension mounting bolt holes and mark the floor ... do the same for the body and see if it is square.

or

the A arm is bent to hell ...

or

bushings on A arms are gone

Hey, I'm old and just guessing .............
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 23 2011, 11:18 AM) *

Rick .... 6 bolts, as I remember, hold the suspension in place ... 4 in the front and 2 in the rear ...

my guess ... front end repair tweaked the tub ... so suspension is not sitting square to the body.

Drop a plumb bob from the suspension mounting bolt holes and mark the floor ... do the same for the body and see if it is square.

or

the A arm is bent to hell ...

or

bushings on A arms are gone

Hey, I'm old and just guessing .............

Thanks Ron, I suspect a tweeked tube but was just wondering if the rear bolt holes for the cross tube had any adjustment. Hell, these chassis' are never perfect specially at this age. I'll just adjust the flares as good as I can for now.

Merry Christmas!
sixnotfour
Rick, check and see if the ball joint is centered to the arm, Hard curb pops can bend the very end back as much as 1/2" I have seen.

Someone also posted about the flars had a different opening measurement at the bottom ?
santa_smiley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 23 2011, 09:18 AM) *
front end repair tweaked the tub ... so suspension is not sitting square to the body.

agree.gif
Series9
I know, I know.......Short 911 Shaft. biggrin.gif

Damn, wrong thread. sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.