Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Previous noise fixed, plus other stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrholland2
Okay, as a somewhat newbie, I just did my first "real" 914 repairs: R & R front rotors and brake pads and tightened something in the rear suspension that was causing a weird noise on cornering.

Now to my question, will these wheels work on a stock 914-4?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-PORSCHE-BLACK-E...930108877858419

according to the EMPI catalogue they have an ET of 30 where the "Porsche" wheels have an ET of 35. My concern is the center hole accommodating the ridge of iron around the grease cap of the front rotors. Like the ones in this photo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zimmermann-Front-B...ies&vxp=mtr

It is about 3 1/8" in diameter (probably a metric measurement but I"m still a bit SAE)

Thanks.

Sean

Tom_T
Sean,

IIRC the 914 wheel offset is 40 (not 35), so these being the VW offset may limit the tire size you can use to only 165 without rolling the wheel wells/fenders. My buddy has the Westerns which were only made in the VW offset, and he only has 1/4"-1/2" clearance from the 165 tire sidewalls to inner wheel cutout lip.

The inset you're talking about for the front hubs is commonly referred to Hub-centric of self-centering hubs, and it was present on the later 73-76 914 front hubs/brake rotors. For VW/Porsche supplied wheels on the 914s, the wheel part no. will end in -01 for the hub-centric machined ones, and -00 for the flat pre-hub-centric wheels (70-72 MY 914/4s).

Some folks have had non-hub-centric wheels machined with the inset (do all 4 or 5 so there's no fitment problem in rotating or flat situations), but that adds cost to the cost of those wheels, and they'll still be the "wrong" VW offset.

If you keep looking you can find these original Minilite & repros out there with both the inset machined & proper offset - or at least the latter, so you have more tire fitment choices without rolling fenders/wheel wells or adding flares.

Here's a pic of the backside of a -01 Fuchs 2 Liter wheel for a 914 FYI -

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.