Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 914 burned ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgRqVi3L7s

This was posted Dec 19 ...

"My 1975 Porsche 914 up in flames on the pacific coast highway..." posted by Theonlysevy

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
jimkelly
icon8.gif

this is why you GOT to get the magnesium out.

and a suby engine and trans in.

and replace the fuel lines with metal.

76-914
For me, this is why I do regular maintenance and carry a fire extinguisher on board.
EdwardBlume
All the work that goes into these cars can be lost in an instant.

If you don't know how the fuel system works, inspect it often, and change the lines / injector seals as needed, with today's fuels, you are risking the same fate.
Cairo94507
How sad.

My six will be built with an on-board fire system just because. Additionally, the whole fuel system will be replaced with SS lines and the proper fittings. Car will get a 3.2 with Motronic too. No more Webers for me.

I had one car catch fire on me back when I was 20 - A '67 Corvette coupe with a 427. Power steering hose burst and pumped fluid onto the headers and caught fire. I was fortunate that I was at a junior college parking lot and one of their maintenance trucks was right behind me and had an extinguisher and we quickly put the fire out with really no damage. But to this day that still scares me.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 24 2011, 05:57 AM) *

How sad.

My six will be built with an on-board fire system just because. Additionally, the whole fuel system will be replaced with SS lines and the proper fittings. Car will get a 3.2 with Motronic too. No more Webers for me.

I had one car catch fire on me back when I was 20 - A '67 Corvette coupe with a 427. Power steering hose burst and pumped fluid onto the headers and caught fire. I was fortunate that I was at a junior college parking lot and one of their maintenance trucks was right behind me and had an extinguisher and we quickly put the fire out with really no damage. But to this day that still scares me.

'67 Corvette with 427? That's some serious American steel. Any picts?
mepstein
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 24 2011, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 24 2011, 05:57 AM) *

How sad.

'67 Corvette with 427? That's some serious American steel. Any picts?

American plastic biggrin.gif
BMXerror
This is a shame! sad.gif Sorry
Mark D.
914-300Hemi
Very SAD indeed.
3d914
This is a shame. And it happened so close to all that water. blink.gif
914.SBC
That really sucks. It really, really, sucks.
Cairo94507
I do have pictures in storage somewhere. Beautiful car and one of the cars I wish I had never sold. If I come across the pictures I will scan and post.
Elliot Cannon
Do we know this car? Anyone know this guy?
JawjaPorsche
Every time when I get home from driving the teener, I stop outside the garage and with engine running and check the engine bay for any potential leaks. Needless to say, I don't let the hoses get old either. Plus, I am running 100% gas which I hope will prevent the hoses from failing prematurely.
Strudelwagon
CARBEQUE! Ouch! Thats pretty good advise about checking for leaks before pulling it back in the garage.
Tom_T
QUOTE(3d914 @ Dec 24 2011, 04:26 PM) *

This is a shame. And it happened so close to all that water. blink.gif

Yes....but assuming he had time to drive it into the water, it would've just suffered a slower & less humane death by rust worms! biggrin.gif

On a serious note - nice to see the FD just stand there & watch it burn taking no action. I don't know if active extinguishing would've helped in this case (e.g.: too far gone when FD got there), but I had a friend lose a 914 to fire in the early 80's, the FD was there in a couple of minutes & refused to do anything since it was "...just an old used car". You can almost hear the nearest FD guy on the right thinking, 'It's just a 914 anyway'! sad.gif
iamchappy
sad.gif Everyone, please get one of these.....
PancakePorsche
It all goes down in less than a minute. You can still lose it even with a portable extinguisher. I witnessed it personally with a poor soul in a 914 on the side of the 405 freeway. Fire truck was stuck in traffic 1/8 mile behind caused by onlookers. Major bummer.
sixnotfour
don't forget to turn the key off
jeff
I'm a firefighter and I own a 914, my co-workers would aggressively attempt to extinguish a 914 ...or even a 911..;-)
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 25 2011, 01:08 PM) *

Do we know this car? Anyone know this guy?

???????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.