Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best trunk lid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Cracker
I'm a fan of the small spoiler to help the "droopy butt" of the 914. I ordered the one that has PORSCHE molded into it - piece of junk...it's going back - too much work to make it right.

With that said, I'd like to just replace the trunk lid with an integrated small spoiler. Who makes the best fitting unit? Has anyone installed the GT Racing lid/spoiler unit? It looks like it might fit the bill. How about their hoods?

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!

Tony/Crackertoo
Joe Ricard
Pretty much all of them will require some "fitting"

Randal
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 24 2011, 06:09 AM) *

I'm a fan of the small spoiler to help the "droopy butt" of the 914. I ordered the one that has PORSCHE molded into it - piece of junk...it's going back - too much work to make it right.

With that said, I'd like to just replace the trunk lid with an integrated small spoiler. Who makes the best fitting unit? Has anyone installed the GT Racing lid/spoiler unit? It looks like it might fit the bill. How about their hoods?

Tony/Crackertoo

For competition or the street?
Cracker
Randal - For the street...if it were for the track, it appears I'd do well to go down to the airport and fina a spare Cessna 172 wing a fab it on. I might do a track version someday but I'd hate to have the "HUGE" effective wing and get passed by the Boxster! blink.gif I have allot of improving to do as a driver before I worry about those...

Crackertoo

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 25 2011, 01:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 24 2011, 06:09 AM) *

Tony/Crackertoo

For competition or the street?
jt914-6
Tony....I liked the AIR (american international racing) rear decklid/spoiler I had on my six. As with all fiberglass it will need a little "fitting". Item 914-204 in the link. I would suggest using the gas shock kit as AIR suggests not using the factory springs. I got the heavy duty shock kit as the spoiler makes it more heavy than one without a spoiler. Shock kits can be bought here: http://www.camp914.com/products/shox.html

http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...46&page=106

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
I've seen a bunch of spoilers... enough to say pick out whatever you like and go with it. Its hard to find one that everyone likes... that's why many 914s don't have them.. confused24.gif
Cracker
Thanks. My question is not what you like but what is molded correctly to avoid major fitting issues.

No one has bought the GT Racing Deck lid? Hard to believe... wacko.gif

QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 27 2011, 01:27 AM) *

I've seen a bunch of spoilers... enough to say pick out whatever you like and go with it. Its hard to find one that everyone likes... that's why many 914s don't have them.. confused24.gif

jflash914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 27 2011, 05:45 AM) *

Thanks. My question is not what you like but what is molded correctly to avoid major fitting issues.

We have bought the front and rear deck lids from GT Racing and they were alot of work to fit. We had to add 1/2 inch of material to the front lid to make it fit correctly. The rear lid fit better but there was alot of areas that needed work. I would steer clear of GT Racing.
Cracker
BINGO! Exactly the feedback I needed! Happy New Year!

Crackertoo

QUOTE(jflash914 @ Dec 27 2011, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 27 2011, 05:45 AM) *

We have bought the front and rear deck lids from GT Racing and they were alot of work to fit. We had to add 1/2 inch of material to the front lid to make it fit correctly. The rear lid fit better but there was alot of areas that needed work. I would steer clear of GT Racing.

jmill
My Getty FG front and rears fit great. The rear I have doesn't have a spoiler but they might have one.
Series9
agree.gif

I have Getty CF decks on my car and they are the best-fitting composites I've encountered.
Randal
QUOTE(Series9 @ Dec 30 2011, 07:42 AM) *

agree.gif

I have Getty CF decks on my car and they are the best-fitting composites I've encountered.

I'll second that. The Getty CF lids fit perfectly. Also my original spoiler, i.e., the one with the PORSCHE molded in fit perfectly. Got my spoiler from High Performance House.
J P Stein
My Sheridan F & R lids dropped in it like they were made for it.....duh.
I'm not sure what/if he does for a street mode rig with springs & hinges & stuff.
campbellcj
I have Getty GT-style lids in fiberglass w/ balsa and they are very nicely made. I used the stock hinges but no springs or latches (tie-downs & pins instead).

Talk to Roger Sheridan about rear 'lip' type spoilers that are lightweight and effective. I have one in the paint shop right now getting prepped for my car.
Cracker
Thanks everyone...I ordered one along with my 9"/11" flares. I did go with one with the tail and will hold out naming names until I check it out in person. Have a great weekend!

PS - below is a pic of what arrived today...

Barber Motorsports DE March 3rd!!! Can't wait.

Tony/Crackertoo

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif That's hot drooley.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 14 2012, 02:46 PM) *

That CF nose is real nice but don't hit anything with it.
I spent a lot of time repairing mine after the 2009 Lime Rock National at LRP.
At least the kevlar layer kept the pieces together.
I sure wasn't going to spend the $$ to replace it after only one event.

I'm a little surprised you got the splitter for a street application.
Cracker
I never said I'm building a street car - it's a track car mainly used on the street. What you were referencing, I believe was my statement regarding the trunk spoiler...I see no value in a ducktail on a 914 (minimal at best). To counter the front end I'm going with a 62" G-Stream element. sunglasses.gif

PS - I'll be calling you (Chris) this week to discuss the reinforcement of my trailing arm pick ups.

Tony/Crackertoo

Racer Chris wrote: "That CF nose is real nice but don't hit anything with it.
I spent a lot of time repairing mine after the 2009 Lime Rock National at LRP.
At least the kevlar layer kept the pieces together.
I sure wasn't going to spend the $$ to replace it after only one event.

I'm a little surprised you got the splitter for a street application."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.