Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 914 bites the dust! My latest purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so a buddy of mine hit a patch of ice sad.gif . Slid sideways into a medium/divider. Probably hit about 20-25mph. It was in town so he wasn't going to fast. It was a smaller cement barrier & went under the door. Hit right about the jack post shoved the jack post area into the car about 18inches. Luckily my buddy wasn't hurt. His 914 was totalled though hissyfit.gif .

Anyway his car was in great shape. I will be stripping it of all the useful parts. Car still runs & the drivetrain is solid. Overall there are alot of great parts. Still deciding if I am going to do some work on my 75 roller & prep it for all these parts. Take a look at the pics below. It has some good panels still too.
Tom
Jamie,
From the pics, it doesn't look that bad. Is it not savable? You, with your experience should be able to save this one. I hope anyway!
Tom
montoya 73 2.0
Jamie, PM me about the motor. Still looking for a runner long block to put all my FI on.

Another trailer perhaps? You could start selling them?
aharder
sad.gif sorry to hear the bad news.....
JRust
QUOTE(Tom @ Dec 24 2011, 05:46 PM) *

Jamie,
From the pics, it doesn't look that bad. Is it not savable? You, with your experience should be able to save this one. I hope anyway!
Tom

It doesn't show to well in the pics. The whole center of the car is shifted. The drivers side rear quarter is even off. I tried to show it with a rear pic on that side. If you look the tailight end of the rear quarter isn't inline with the rest of the car. Seriously the whole targa bar moved a good inch blink.gif . I am not saving it no way. I may donate it once stripped to McMark to test out his Celette bench. That would be the only way to get it right again if it's possible. In my opinion it is a donor for another car or cars.

Always sad to see a 914 in good shape get ruined like that headbang.gif
smontanaro
Time to look around for a NOS body in white. sad.gif
BajaXJ92
Man I hate seeing these cars go off the road. sad.gif Glad your buddy wasn't hurt. It looks to be a parts car now. dry.gif

This makes me realize how lucky I was with my car, being that the damage is contained entirely to the front area of the car.

Mr.242
This would make a great donor car to anyone who can produce a solid roller! BUT......

I'm looking for a front valance in good shape...... if I can quietly just stand in line for it.

Plus the shorty rear valance would look very cool with my dual triad sticking out below it .... ?

santa_smiley.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Dec 25 2011, 09:33 AM) *

This would make a great donor car to anyone who can produce a solid roller! BUT......

I'm looking for a front valance in good shape...... if I can quietly just stand in line for it.

Plus the shorty rear valance would look very cool with my dual triad sticking out below it .... ?
santa_smiley.gif

Yeah the front Valance is in great shape surprisingly. I think it got one dent from the accident. The rear valance is okay. It's been bent a bit to add the extra space for the Triad on it.

BajaXJ92 it's to bad you aren't closer. The front end would make a great donor for yours
Mikey914
Yellow body. black chrome. Painted bumper.

It wasn't a bumblebee was it?
Mr.242
The way BumbleBees fall in JRust's lap......odds are in favor of it being one.

huh.gif
sixnotfour
you guys are dyslectic, Bumble Bee is Black with yellow accents. poke.gif

Once you have two or three , people will drive by and ask "Hey you want another one ? " My new years resolution answer is "NO"
and give Jamie's number or Rich's a coin toss. lol-2.gif

Careful with that winch in the rafter.
sixnotfour
I telephone poled a six in my younger days, Must have been lucky as the damage was not that bad.
Well, on that side anyway.
JRust
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 26 2011, 08:20 AM) *

A telephone poled a six in my younger days, Must have been lucky as the damage was not that bad.
Well, on that side anyway.

Yeah I think a telephone pole would have been much better. I think he hit a divider that was a little taller than a curb. Just hit so solid & was localized directly on the frame. It is definitely not a BB. Yeah the trunk were painted black but the car as yellow originally. Also no sway bars or appearance group stuff. Although the rear window defrost is going to go into my Creamsicle smile.gif

As far as the winch on the rafter. If I decide to do it would bolt through the floor above the rafters. Into a bigger board that spread over multiple rafters. It is an old barn with very thick rafters & the upstairs floor is at least an inch thick. Mounted on the ceiling I have no worries of it not handling the weight.
JRust
I got it started today. Thought the accelerator cable had snapped somewhere. Turned out the wreck had just popped it off the ball below the pedal. I put that back on & it worked just fine. Took if for a short drive up my road & back. Drove just fine surprisingly. It actually tracked straight down the road blink.gif .
messix
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 26 2011, 01:56 PM) *

I got it started today. Thought the accelerator cable had snapped somewhere. Turned out the wreck had just popped it off the ball below the pedal. I put that back on & it worked just fine. Took if for a short drive up my road & back. Drove just fine surprisingly. It actually tracked straight down the road blink.gif .

you got a runner ..... don't fuch with it just drive it happy11.gif
Tom_T
So sad - looks like it was a very nice one indeed! sad.gif

Death to all 914 killer Medians !!!! mad.gif

With that P-side offset, it might be good on clockwise oval track racing!
laugh.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 26 2011, 04:56 PM) *

Are you sure your brain was tracking straight? biggrin.gif poke.gif
sixnotfour
With good pull on a frame rack and some splice and dice ???? Better than a bunch of rust repair IMHO.
JRust
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 26 2011, 04:11 PM) *

With good pull on a frame rack and some splice and dice ???? Better than a bunch of rust repair IMHO.

Yeah I don't know. I think even straightened out the passenger long would still need replaced. It is so bent & the metal all crinkled. Then with the rest of the bodywork it would need. I think I would rather replace the longitude section in a 73 2.0 roller I have. The hell hole is rediculously bad. The rest of the car is in great shape. To me it would make more sense if I am to replace a longitude. To do it in the 73 than this 74 that has more frame issues. What do you think?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Well I am suprised no one said this yet, " Oh that will buff right Out" so i will.

Jamie now how many 914's is the total this yr. up to?????

Dave slap.gif
jeeperjohn56
Jamie, are you going to part it out? I'm looking for a good dash pad, no cracks let me know. John
SGB
doesn't take much to ruin one. What a shame.
McMark
If you were going to fix it (although I doubt the cost effectiveness) I would cut out the long, get the rest of the chassis points/mounts into alignment, then weld in a new long like you're thinking. The parts are available from Restoration Design and the install isn't ridiculous.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.