Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey
I thought I'd post a few pictures of my restoration of 9140430693. I'll try to post before and after comparison pictures where I can.

Here's a before picture:
mikey
Another before picture:
mikey
Here's the first of the after pictures:
krk
mikey,

let me be the first to say "best of luck on the resto"!!!!

I'm sure there will be huge interest in the before/after pics -- all of us with /6's are keenly interested!

kim.
mikey
Another after picture:
mikey
let me be the first to say "best of luck on the resto"!!!!

thanks Kim,

It has taken a while between the before and after pictures. I'm still some way away from completing the project. Luckily I've had some expert help from Brad Roberts, Mark DeBernardi (hamburger guy), and Brandon Penserini the painter.

As you can see I decided to go from the rattle-can black to the original color (Irish Green).

Have you posted pictures of you -6?

Mike
mikey
Here's a shot of some front end damage and repairs to it.
mikey
Here's the same place being repaired:
mikey
The same place after painting:
rhodyguy
irish green is a fantastic color. clean bright work really sets it off. did you sand blast or media strip the tub?

kevin
mikey
irish green is a fantastic color.

agree.gif I was considering tangerine or red. Now that it's painted I'm glad I stuck to the original.
I had the car blasted, although it's now recommended to have them dipped.
Lou W
Yes, that's Green, Looks great. Keep sending the pictures biggrin.gif
aircooledboy
Man I envy you guys who can paint pray.gif

Great job, it looks awesome. smilie_pokal.gif
Lou W
OT, Your Rotissaire, Home made? Tell me how you made it, it looks like two engine stands, Costs? etc. smile.gif
JoeSharpOld
Am I jelous. check my thread (next project) smilie_pokal.gif
Joe
mikey
OT, Your Rotissaire, Home made? Tell me how you made it, it looks like two engine stands, Costs? etc

Yes, the rotisserie was made out of two engine stands by Richie Lukes of Lukes and Shoreman in Albany, CA. The brackets were made to fit a 356 and later adapted to fit the 914. Materials ran less than $150 and I paid a welder $100 to measure and fabricate the 914 brackets. The engine stands were bought from J.C.Whitney, I believe.
mikey
Am I jelous. check my thread (next project)

I saw your posting. That's why I decided to dig up my pics and post them. Good luck on your project! Another original 6er saved from the crusher beerchug.gif
mikey
Man I envy you guys who can paint

The painter did a very nice job. The guy who did the metal work also did a great job. I originally brought it to a shop that started covering the embarassing bits up with bondo. I snatched the car back from him and decided to bring it to a guy who only does metal work (Yun Song Classic Auto Restoration in Fresno, CA - 559-255-8626). He did the bodywork on my 54 Porsche 356 Cabriolet. He ripped out all the bondo and did only metal finishing - no filler. Switching body shops put me behind schedule by about 1 year but the results are well worth it.
Lou W
Thanks for the info on the Rotisarrie, thinking about building my own. Your car looks great!!! Love the color wub.gif
SP9146
Man this is weird. My car and situation are exactly the same as mikey's... same car, same color, similar front end issues, undergoing the same restoration AND I'm in the process of switching body shops!

The shop I took it to is doing less restoration work these days. The just finished Andial's 73 911S and were going to work on my car but their main body guy got sick and have no replacement. For minor dent repair they have their excellent painter do it.

So I'm trying to get my car into Advanced Automotive Refinishing in San Juan Capistrano. Jeff there comes highly recommended and I've seen some of his work which is excellent.

If he can't fit me in anytime soon there's no one left in So. Cal. for me to take it to. As much as I'd hate to have the work done out of the area I'd be very interested in Yun Song's shop. I imagine he's insanely busy? How expensive?

Car looks great! Keep those pictures coming, it gives the rest of us hope.

Pete
1970 914-6
Irish Green
mikey
Pete,

I'll try and dig up some pictures of the work that Yun did. He's well known among the hot-rod guys in Fresno but has done many Porsches too. He sometimes gets busy but when I was there about 2 months ago he had cleared up his backlog. You won't be disappointed in his work. He gives you an estimate and doesn't go over it. He metal finished every square inch of my car plus installed a new front clip, floor pans and right rear suspension mounting. He gave me an estimate of 7-10K I ended up paying 8K.

Mike
mikey
Pete,

Here's what the Yun started with:
mikey
I got this from HPH:
mikey
He fitted the front end to the car:
mikey
other side:
mikey
and welded it in:
mikey
Only a small portion of the left front panel was damaged but by replacing the whole panel there was no ugly seam.
SP9146
Bodyshop #2 agreed to take my car. I have high hopes but have been disappointed before. If anything goes wrong Yun's my man. It's clear from the pictures he's a craftsman.

Can't wait to see your finished car! In a few months I'll have progress shots of my own.

Thanks for the pics.

Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.