Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: top time for Autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Me and my little 70 with a stock 1.7L FI got put in CSP (Class Street Prepared) 4 other cars I was fourth.
Of course I wasn't first I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Shifting at wrong times. braking to late for the loudicris speed I was doing. Going too fast in the slalom section ( I couldn't keep up to the cones) So I tried harder and finally spun out before the last cone.

2nd, 3rd, and 4th run were much better stayed in 2nd longer and bumped on the rev limiter (rotor).

5th and 6th run were trying to get more umph out og the corner and get smooth in the slalom. Managed so really good power sliding to complete turn around of the end cone.

The verdict is my car is much better at this than I am . 325 degree head temp, stock brakes good pads were awesome. disabled the sway bar. Drove home without a hitch or glitch.
So Now I need to make the ration of drive one day wrench two.

Man this is SSOOOOO Cool driving.gif
Joe Ricard
OOPS I mean 4 cars total I was fourth. rolleyes.gif But who cares I was having a blast
tommy914
Joe,
Where was the autox?

Tommy
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 22 2004, 06:18 PM)
disabled the sway bar.

Man this is SSOOOOO Cool driving.gif

Sounds like you had a blast and some good seat time.driving.gif

Which swaybar did you disable?
watsonrx13
All right Joe. smilie_pokal.gif

A car you can drive to work AND AX????? Yea.... mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Joe Ricard
Rear bar, I had some old Yoko 008 tires on the front kinda hard for a 40 tread wear. but still seemed to stick. put some old 240 tread wear Dunlops on the back. I know I lost some grip there so thats why I did the rear bar hoping to tighten it up. Coulda used more rear grip but that will come with more track rubber. "tire rack here I come.

BTW I am somewhat baffeled at the write ups on tires. They claim that getting a 6/32 tire shaved to 4/32 and heat cycled will last longer. Anyone care to explain. Just curious.
Joe Ricard
Race was in Pensacola Florida. If you are interested there is one in New Orleans this weekend. and then possibly again the last Sunday in Sept over here Florida . Maybe I should post these in the events calendar. Usually short fused here about on like Wednesday for race on that weekend.
red914
you make it sound like a blast! glad you had fun. let us know how you do next time. MDB2.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 23 2004, 03:56 AM)
Coulda used more rear grip but that will come with more track rubber. "tire rack here I come.  

BTW I am somewhat baffeled at the write ups on tires.  They claim that getting a 6/32 tire shaved to 4/32 and heat cycled will last longer.   Anyone care to explain.  Just curious.

Hee,hee. The hook is set.

You're confused, I'm confused.

Whether it's "right" or not, here is my experience.
I've never had a set of AX tires shaved or heat cycled.
Our cars are light. What applies to a 3000 lb car *seems* to be non-applicable to them.

I read about guys cording their A3SO4s Hoosiers in 35-45 passes. I have more than 100 on mine and they look good. I'm now running 30-33 lbs f-r. That's about 7-9 lbs less than those 3000 lb cars are running.

Kuhmo Vracers went 160 or so passes and were about half gone when I sold them. 26-28 f-r.

R3SO3 Hoosiers 180 passes & 150 minutes of track time.
About half gone and I still run em' occasionally.30-33 f-r.

Kuhmo 710s are now the hot set-up. Prolly worth a full second under the new Hoosiers on a 50 sec. course....don't make em' in my size. mad.gif
3d914
Joe,

Its a blast whipping these cars around cones - ain't it!!!!!!

Glad to here you're enjoying it sooo much. Just wait till you get to a Drivers Ed (with PCA) and get some track time - you'll be wetting your drawers.

Anyhow, I agree with JP on the tires. The Khumo 710's seem to be the hot thing here in Phoenix as well for Auto-X and track on 914's. If you check out the PCA site for our area, you can review the AX times and compare the results, you'll see that 914's are always in the top few times if not the TTOD.

Keep the wheels down and the top off!
Joe Ricard
And another thing that has me all confused. Not that it really matters till I get to be a better driver. Is How am I classed. They put me in CSP because of the 150 lb rear springs and adjustable perches Koni external adjust shocks. Is this considered a coil over? It is stock location and configuration. wacko.gif
Sombody set me straight. Read the rule book tonight I think this car should be CP ? or is it CS. Hey it is a totally stock motor.
3d914
Joe,

If you AutoX with PCA, there is no way you can be bumped a class just for shocks. If you're stock 1.7, it would be AS. CS is for stock 2.0L.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I recall something like 6 or more points to move from one class to the next. Maybe someone will have theirs out and handy. Mines still in a box in the garage.

Enjoy!
Joe Ricard
Bump Thats kinda what I am thinking. The guy at the check in was somewhat frazelled as his lap top jammed up and then here comes a newbie with a Poser car. driving.gif (me) 1.7L D-jet.

Oh BTW I am probably going to run SCCA again this week end in New Orleans. So all you fellow Gulf Coasters THAT DON"T WORK ON YOUR CARS. You know who you are Get busy and come on down. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.