Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Quick Help / Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pnambic
OK, 2 Questions:

1.) Anyone have a really good book I could borrow or a suggestion on one to buy that might help me get a pair of webers back together and ready to go in time for the FFC?

2.) What gauge and type of metal should I use to patch the passenger long at the jack point? I think I'll just cut out whats left of the jack point and close it up, for now.

MANY MANY MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
JoeSharpOld
AAA, and cut that rust off. I haven't used a jack point for any thing but putting a jack stand on, to jack the car up with that you are asking for troubel.
Joe
bperry
Can't offer any advice for the rust but for webers
(Assuming you've got IDFs) get
the Weber Tech Manual by Bob Tomlinson.
Its only $10 from CB performance.
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=4
Lots of good information. Well worth the money.
Haynes has a manual out as well. Its a bit more and covers
other carb types. It is usually available from your FLAPS.

--- bill
Jeroen
1mm sheetmetal
sorry, dunno what gauge that is in 'murican size

good luck!
balljoint
1mm sheetmetal is 20 Gauge (0.036")

Is that thick enough?

1.6 mm is 16 Gauge
TimT
20ga is plenty thick, you can use 22ga even as its a bit easier to form
balljoint
What gauge are those longs made out of to start with?

I assume that you would want to match the same gauge for ease of welding?
Jeroen
the longs are made of 1.0 of 0.8mm
Pnambic
Cool. Sorry for the lack of response. I was out of reach of the Internet for a couple days...

You guys rock!

Book is ordered.
I'll ask my bro-in-law to get me some metal later tonight. (he's a tool and die guy)
welder.gif
indydad
I'm using 18 ga for this area. 20 for the other patches I need. Make sure to grind off any galvanizing and wear a resperator when welding. I have Ospho'd the area already, should be rust resistant enough with routine inspections after getting back on the road.
old dad in INDY
SpecialK
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 23 2004, 12:28 PM)
20ga is plenty thick, you can use 22ga even as its a bit easier to form

ohmy.gif I thought It'd be a lot heavier gauge than that, like at least 16 ga. I guess it just looks much thicker after corrosion works it's magic on it. The Brad Mayuer (sp?) long. stiffeners my '73's sporting must be the definition of "Overkill"! They definitely do the trick though. Been hovering in my garage on jack stands for 4-5 years now with absolutely no signs of sagging. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.