Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
AA has there flares on the bay,,, bid right now is 650.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=34204 cool_shades.gif
Brad Roberts
Yeah..

same pic used 20 years ago for Automotion ads.

Show us the new ones (produced)

B
rick 918-S
Deep Draw sheet metal is about $ 40.00 a sheet 4X10 Their margin is huge. Granted there is an up front cost but that's the risk you take. The break even investment would be appox 50 sets at the retail price their commanding. Maybe less than that but not much more. I'm glad they made appear to have made them. Maybe someone will take delivery someday.
Qarl
George e-mailed me and said the cost was $40K to produce the molds. So 50 sets is about right.

There certainly is a demand, especially since the factory sets are around $2500 or so!

Regards,

Karl
Scott
I have ordered a set from them. No hassel s and no drama that I have seen other people reporting. George was very nice, took the time to answer my questions and his customer service has been great with getting me the tracking number and letting know about the shipping of them. They are having a third party make and ship them. Makes sense since I am sure AA didn't want to lay out the money for the machinery. George said that once that my flares were going to be stamped they would then charge my credit card. I didn't have long to wait...about 10 days...then the charge appeared. I called to check on the status and 9 days later they are done and shipped (as of the 28th). AA gave me the tracking number and UPS says they will be here friday. I keep you posted and anyone (local to me...SF Bay Area) can stop by and see them, the fit and the quality. Just give me and e-mail and well set it up.
Brad Roberts
Damn.. I'm coming down tomorrow... I want to see them.

I have your rear bearings in the truck and the retainers. You going to be around tomorrow evening ?? or can I set them on the porch ?

I think if everybody bitched about me or bitched about Bontempi... you would hear the same things. If you deal with enough people...you are bound to cross people wrong somewhere along the line. It doesnt all go smooth.

B
Scott
Brad,

Friday....UPS said they will be here Friday. I know that you have been really busty but tomorrow is only Thursday. That and I have no idea what time Friday the delivery will take place. Sometimes UPS doesn't hit my house til 6:30pm. Though I can understand your excitment. I will let you know (call you on your cell the moment they arrive and I unpack them). Would love to have you come down to see them anytime after they get here.
meursault
I find it interesting that the ebay flares are sold "as is"--what are they, defective first runs out of the molds?
Scott
Couldn't tell you that. Mine were purchased at the regular price ($950) not off e-bay. I guess I'm the test guy in the group. I don't think that AA could afford to send out shit after the money out lay. I have read a lot of bad press on them and have found NONE of it to be true..at least from my experience. As I said, I will let everyone know what arrives and they can come by and see for themselves.
morgan
MY flairs will also be in on friday. They are coming from, now get this Wyoming MI
Any one they that make Porsche sheet metal? confused24.gif : blink.gif
morgan
clap56.gif I will have my flairs today 5:00 pm CDT Will let all of you know what I think of them John
Scott
Good, I am glad to see that I am not the only one taking the plunge.
morgan
clap56.gif beerchug.gif :beer1:The flairs are here!!!!!!!!!!! They did a great job making these. After I figured out which one went where (not label) I look how they were made. 1) Great gauge of metal 2) when pressing took place, they got a smooth finish though out the flair. 3)It does fit the car. A bonus . I have never seen the factory type, but from what I been told ,these are much better. If anyone has questions ,feel free to ask.
Morgan
Jeroen
Post pics!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
You need to take pictures of the flares with todays Newspaper for proof smile.gif

Glad to hear that they really do exsist.....no longer in the market since I now have my "rice" rims.....

Just call me Vanilla Rice MDB2.gif
Lawrence
Glad you like your flares.

It's strange the flares did not come labled. If you look on the AA website, it states:

"Rest assured our prefect repros will be labeled precisely so you will be guaranteed a matched set!"
Dave_Darling
Interesting speculation on the price to produce. Wayne investigated making flares, and he came up with 100 sets (needing to be pre-ordered) at the $500 price point. The numbers needed went down as the price went up, of course.

I think we had 50 sets on the "yes, I will definitely order" list, which wasn't nearly enough to justify the financial gamble. sad.gif Oh well, at least now there seem to be some alternative to the factory flares if you want steel.

--DD
morgan
first pic
morgan
pain30.gif Having problems putting pics up sorry
morgan
Can anyone help me down load pics. Being a puter moron this happens time to time
Mueller
if the picture is on your harddrive, just use the "Browse.." button to find the location of the file...

DO NOT PREVIEW (from what I've read)

oh, it can only be a JPG or GIF also and a certain size (307200)
Scott
My flairs are now here.

I am sure that Brad will be by shortly to see them, take pics and render a verdict. Looking at FG flares for so long, it's hard to tell about the fit. They look good. I have taped them to the car and they seem to fit ok.
morgan
Lets here what brad thinks
Aaron Cox
PICS!PICS!PICS! wink.gif we are just as anxious to see them as you were biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
Resize the picture to 400x600 or smaller in JPG format to attach it!!

Do not preview it before hitting submit!

Jeff
morgan
pics
morgan
pics2
morgan
pics3
morgan
pics4
morgan
had to use my news playboy for doc time
Brad Roberts
Looks good to me..

what size does your camera shoot in ??

B
Brad Roberts
Restoration design is in:

Eaton Rapids, MI 48827

B
morgan
1280x960
Brad Roberts
email all the pics to me:

Brad@all914.com

I knew your camera should be better than what we are getting.

B
morgan
what did you think for the flares Brad
John
Scott
Yep, looks just like what I got today. Let the fun begin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.