Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Oil Tank Sounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marinmcgreevy
I am a new 914/6 owner and I finally spent the weekend driving the car. One thing I have noticed is the sound of oil entering the oil tank. It is a bit un nerving as it periodic. Basically it sounds like oil pouring from the top of the tank down to the bottom. It is a function of engine speed. Could there be anything wrong with the oil tank plumbing? I have not examined the oil system too closely. The car has the original oil tank but the car also has a 914/6 GT front mounted oil cooler. I have never driven another 914/6 but would not be too suspicious except that the previous owner included another factory 914/6 oil tank in the deal.

If anyone else has this same sound I would feel better.

Evan McGreevy

70 914/6 #892
Brad Roberts
Hey Evan. Welcome to the club clap56.gif

All the sixes make the gurgling noise you are making reference too. I have seen (recently) a 9146 tank that was hooked up backwards in a race car that has been ran for over a year straight without any issues. It scared me when I noticed (HOLY SH_T is what I said) but it seems to be fine hooked up backwards. In a stock 9146 it is nearly impossible to hook it up backwards. Somebody would have to go WAY out of their way to do it.

B
marinmcgreevy
Thanks Brad

Confirmation of similar sounds from others' is all I needed.
Brad Roberts
Evan,

what color is your car ?? who does the service work on it ?? I lived in Novato for 2 years...

B
ArtechnikA
yes - it's normal.
you might try changing filters to see if it helps - sometimes it does, a little.
use only an approved, high-quality filter -- Mann, Knecht, Purolator - there are a couple of others that are okay but for sure these will work. all the reputable sources have them. FLAPS usually don't. avoid FRAM...
Eric_Shea
Mine gurgles...

Welcome smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
Hey Evan,
I'd be interested in the other 914-6 oil tank. wavey.gif
Eric_Shea
headbang.gif didn't even read that part
Brad Roberts
I'm closer to him... :finger2:

B
marinmcgreevy
Thanks for all the information.

The car is red. I got it from a guy named Steve Young in Atherton. The car was originally irish green. I do not know much about the car. It was painted red quite a while ago. It has steel GT flares and a front mounted oil cooler. It has a 3.2 and a later side shifter. The rear trailing arm mounting points have been reinforced with tubing and gussets that are definately different than the kits that are for sale. It came with a very nice bolt in roll cage and a 914/6 GT driver's seat. It has aluminum S brakes up front on adjustable Konis. It has 15x7 and 15x8 Fuchs (with new 285/40 P7s). I think the previous owner had the car repainted and installed the the 3.2. He said the previous engine was a 2.4. He did say it was a bay area car that was used as an autocrosser the PCA member PO. If anyone knows any history of the car I would appreciate any info.

Regarding the oil tank. The one on the car has a lot of overspray and I planned on switching them out. The other looks very original and unmolested. After I do the switchout I will probably make the other available as I have only one car.

Thanks again,

Evan
Brad Roberts
Sounds like a cool car. Congrats on the purchase.

The later engines (3.0 and up) really move a LOT of oil... the noise you hear isnt bad in a stockish 2.0/2.2/2.4 engine'd 9146.

B
seanery
seriously, I coud really use one of the tanks. Overspray doesn't bother me biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
I like overspray.

I'll pay $1.00 more than Sean... beats waiting for "someone" to get a carbon fiber replica laugh.gif

But hey... if we keep this price banter up Evan's gonna get the impression these things are worth more than $75.00 unsure.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 09:22 AM)

The later engines (3.0 and up) really move a LOT of oil... the noise you hear isnt bad in a stockish 2.0/2.2/2.4 engine'd 9146.

B

Huh?
scotty
Mine sounds like my stomach after Thanksgiving Day dinner biggrin.gif I can only hear it at startup... after I start driving, I can't hear anything but the engine (it's a good thing wink.gif )
use only an approved, high-quality filter

Mann.
Brad Roberts
JP,

I have found the 3.0 and 3.2 cars make more oil gurgling noises than the earlier engines... I didnt test with a sound meter...

I attribute the more noise with a higher volume pump..
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 12:41 PM)

I attribute the more noise with a higher volume pump..

Check Anderson's book (pg 63) for more info & report back laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Still should be accurate. The pump ratio changed in 76 so B-hole is correct with his 2.0/2.2/2.4 thingy but he should have stated "2.7 and up". beer.gif
Brad Roberts
Sorry.. the 2.7's dont exist in my world..LOL :finger2: I live in the "spirit world" say it real slow like your drunk... "I'm in the spirit world".. movie reference.

B
Eric_Shea
Sorry.. the 2.7's dont exist in my world

Yeah those 73 Carerra RS's really sucked... laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 26 2004, 09:44 AM)
Sorry.. the 2.7's dont exist in my world

Yeah those 73 Carerra RS's really sucked... laugh.gif

...to say nothing of the 916's ...
J P Stein
Ayup, changed in the 76, 2.7 L. the scavenge side of the pump (which feeds the oil tank) was made *smaller* and the pressure side made larger.

Maybe it's a sucking sound biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Told ya... they sucked!
jfort
I can't believe you guys can hear an oil sound. I can't hear anything but engine when I am driving mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.