Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POC Race @ Laguna Seca
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
alright guys, lots of sun, pics and video (no sound sad.gif ) this weekend ...

i got down there saturday morning just to hear that brad/scott were pretty much ready to give up and drive home!
Laguna Seca has a noise-limit of 92db at the race-track and everybody was scrambling to meet those requirements.
apparently scott and brad had spent all friday trying to get the car down under 92db, without luck.
they had been black-flagged 5 times and had not been able to finish a session.

so we stuck our heads together and did some creative thinking. idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif

what we came up with what would become formally be known as "The Fluffy Pillow Mobile" for the rest of the weekend:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

basically, we just got some aluminium sheet-metal and made "stacks" around the air-cleaners, then filled the stacks with the guts of a cheap-o pillow from k-mart!

then we added a stock banana muffler. that required to weld in some extensions so the muffler would clear the custom tranny cover.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

voila! now make it look purdy ... wub.gif

IPB Image

get the wheels torqued down and she's ready for another run.
when we fired her up she almost sounded like a stock 2.0L, not like a 3.2L beast biggrin.gif

IPB Image

MOVIE: off to grid ... (4.3 MB, AVI, no sound)

it worked! no black-flags anymore and we went out for our first complete session of the weekend.
the car was running good and we somehow managed to get (overall) grid-position 7 in the qualifying race. there were only 5 cars total in our class (GT-3) so each session was compiled of quite a interesting mix of different cars ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

then on to the final race, we're #2 in our class and #7 overall ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

MOVIE: on the main straight ... (2.3 MB, AVI, no sound, blurry)

"Fluffy" managed to get 2nd place in our class!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
Yep. Good stuff Andy. Thanks again for your help. clap56.gif

Thank GOD nobody shot pics of our wooden engine cover we made on Friday laugh.gif

I used the black spray paint for some graffiti... I sprayed "F92" on the large wooden cover... "F_CK92DB" was our moto of the day and was shared by many others.

B
Brad Roberts
Damn.. it looks like I'm promoting GPR... :finger2: Dave hates me....LOL

B
SirAndy
andrews car ...
SirAndy
SirAndy
SirAndy
the guy from phoenix who's name no one can remember ...

stock 2.0L with carbs:
SirAndy
SirAndy
and rogers purdy 914 ... http://www.ultimate914.com/

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

rolleyes.gif Andy
SirAndy
i have about 70 higher-res pics total plus 4 movies ...

if anyone wants more, just email me!
aktion035.gif Andy
Trekkor
Thanks Andy, that was AWESOME!!!

92db, huh? How does that compare to a stock 2.0 db?

KT
Lou W
agree.gif that would have been great to be there.
Brad Roberts
Trekkor,

For reference.. a STOCK Viper GTS will not pass 92db. A stock 914 2.0 with a Bursch *might* pass.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 22 2004, 10:02 PM)
Thank GOD nobody shot pics of our wooden engine cover we made on Friday laugh.gif

you mean THIS ???

laugh.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
That was it... that was the bottom.. LOL

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 07:04 AM)
Damn.. it looks like I'm promoting GPR... :finger2: Dave hates me....LOL

Nah... you're just too cheap to buy a shirt biggrin.gif

BTW I thought you guys didn't do POC anymore?

Maybe a stoopid Q, but I'm not too familiar with your classes
What was the competition in your class?

Andy, thanks for the report and pics

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
POC cant fill the grids when they come to NorCal... so they invite our group (PRC) to run seperate.

POC had a BIG uprising in Las Vegas earlier this year. The old group who ran it... no longer run it. The new guy's want us around.

We run GT3. Up too 3.4 liters. The rest are 911's against us.

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 23 2004, 05:30 PM)
The old group who ran it... no longer run it. The new guy's want us around.

Politics... ya gotta love it wacko.gif
I'm reading a book about how Bernie Ecclestone twisted his skinny ass into F1...
Mind boggling stuff biggrin.gif

Looks like Roger Sheridan changed his mind on the ducting (again)?

cheers,

Jeroen

PS... yes Andy post some more
drew365
A good time was had by all! The work I did to my car quieted it considerably and I was still at 97.6db. I had no choice but to short shift to 5th just before the sound booth. On my last lap of the day which was my second timed lap for time trials I blew past the sound booth in 4th at 6k. Unfortunately I spun at turn 9 and made such a mess they had to shut down for cleanup. Well, there's always next year. It was good to see Brad and Andy at work, McGyver (sp?) would be proud. I should have shopped at K-Mart.
Brad Roberts
It was great seeing you/hanging out. Always cool to meet people from the BBS who share the same passion.

Cant wait until Thill.. I *may* try and run a 3.0 914 with PRC.

B
seanery
Andrew,
did you lift in 9?
I spun there...lift and spin w00t.gif
drew365
Seanery; I did'nt lift and I felt like I was on line. My first timed lap was my fastest of the weekend and I was faster on the second so I think I just overcooked the corner. I'd had no trouble there all weekend until then. On Friday I went through the Corkscrew in reverse but that was from not blipping the throttle enough when I downshifted. Luckily a car full of dirt was all the damage from both spins.
drew365
Andy; Post pics of the Vision Girls! wub.gif Please.
drew365
Never mind, I'll do it myself. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Dont save the thumbnail... LOL

The two girls in white shirts where "hired" by our PRC group to walk around promoting PRC..

B
TMorr
Laguna Pic's
TMorr
More pic's
TMorr
More
TMorr
and again
Brad Roberts
Cool shots Tracey !! aktion035.gif I'm guessing you didnt get any pics of Hayden S-Faced during dinner Friday night ??? ha ha

B
GTeener
Very cool but so dark...
GTeener
Track pics are cool
GTeener
AZ
TMorr
Pic's look much better, I have no software to change them. Should make the wheels blur so the cars look liked they are moving ohmy.gif

Brad, Hayden paid me not to post those shots icon8.gif drunk.gif icon8.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.