Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater lever as hand throttle for carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Has anyone ever used their heater lever as the throttle lever for carbs on their conversion car?

I won't be using my heater lever (as I will have headers and no heater flapper boxes). So I'm thinking this lever might make a good substitute for the hand throttle lever.

Thanks,

Karl
Brad Roberts
Karl,

I pretty sure I used a early 911/912 heater lever. They actually mount in the same location as the 9146 hand throttle.

I have all the parts out of "Muellers 6" right now...so I can shoot some pics tomorrow and show you what you need. The 914 heater lever is too far away from the pedal assembly and I dont think it will fit under the shifter like the stock 6 does.

B
Matt914MI
I'm using mine for a manual choke control since I'm too cheap to buy a new electric choke. Carbbed 911T's from around the same time period had another lever for throttle. I'd think it would work just fine. I don't know exactly how to make it work right along with the accelerator petal (has to pull one way, but let loose the other way). Anyone know how the old 911 ones were hooked up? Something on the cable that somehow catches on the bottom of the lever?
Brad Roberts
The early 911/9146 throttle arm on the pedal assembly has an extra "ear" on it that a small rod pushes on from the hand throttle assembly mounted at the front of the shifter. All the 914 and early 911/901 shifters have a slot in them that the hand throttle slides into.

B
Brad Roberts
Kinda like a pool stick. It has a small U shaped support and it slides up to then away from the extra ear on the throttle arm depending on whether you have the lever pulled toward you or pushed down.

B
Qarl
Ohhh... for some reason, I figured that the throttle cable was connected to the throtte linkage on the carbs rather than through the accelerator linkage. Never thought of it that way.

I'm sure my race shop guy knows what to do.

I was just brainstorming on my nightly dog walk with Euro, my German Shepherd dog.
Brad Roberts
Well Karl... ha ha

The throttle cable is hooked to the carbs just like you would with in any 914. The little throttle arm is 100% seperate from the system until you pull it up. Then it pushes the throttle arm like a pool stick.

B
JWest
Here are the parts: This pic shows the extra tab on the throttle arm on the at the pedal assembly.
JWest
This pic points out the slot in the shifter where the hand throttle fits (look at it and look at your heat lever and the shape of the heat lever base starts to make sense).
JWest
This pic is of the rest of the 914/6 hand throttle assembly.
si2t3m
Here's a picture of the complete assembly.

There is a small L shaped bracket that holds the rod in line with the tab on the pedal end. This L backet goes in the center tunnel, just left of to the inspection hole (square plate) near the pedals.

I've fabricated a couple of rods during the winter. I had also fabricated a couple of brackets. I had to ditch the brackets as when i trial fitted them this sping, the hole for the rod was too low.

I made another bracket now and it fits perfect.

I can make some bracket, rods and plates for the pedal end if there is some interest.

One would have to take the pedal end off & weld the plate to it. Next either locate a hand throttle lever from an early 912 or hack an non center console heater lever from a 914 to attach a ball end to it. Finally, find the female part for the ball end to install it on the rod.

To answer the question, yes, i've fitted an heater lever (non center console). doesn't look too bad!!!

Marc-André
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.