Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark Plug Fired From The Hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Bryan
OK, not directly a 914 problem; Thankfully, my 914 is running fine. biggrin.gif

Can't say the same for my 2005 F150 that decided to fire a spark plug from the #3 cylinder hole. mad.gif Heard a ticking sound that progressively became louder then, kaaPow!. Fired that sucker right out of the threads. Broke the coil and split the spark plug. WOW.

I would like to say that this was unique, but the same thing happened to another cylinder about a year ago. Helicoil solved it. This is getting stupid. Anyone else have this type of problem? Wonder if Ford had a recall regarding this. Only 85K on the engine...Fix and sell? smash.gif Found On Road Dead? screwy.gif
Steve
Google is your friend. I had the same problem with my 2003 Expedition. It is a known problem and POS Ford company won't stand behind there product.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007...park_plugs.html
At the time the extended warranty wouldn't cover it and either would Ford. I would google around and see if there has been a recall or if a lemon law would cover it.

I also installed a helicoil in mine many years ago and traded it in for a Toyota Sequoia. Our 2002 Toyota has over 200k miles on it and has never broken down or left us stranded. We had many problems with the Expedition. The ejecting spark plug was the last straw.
mrbubblehead
that must be the reason time sert make a tool specifically for a ford head.
76-914

google Time cert. They have a video of how to install a time cert w/ the engine in a Ford van, which Ford recommends pulling the body off to fix, yea right. Anyway Triton engines are known for this. By the kit, you'll need it.
mrbubblehead
sert with an "S"
jimkelly
steel plugs in aluminum heads = problem waiting to happen.

i guess if plugs are replaced often enough & anti seize is used - problem could be avoided?

i like cast iron and steel : )

seems many newer high mileage cars are gonna have a cert in them. my suby has one, my festiva had one. they should cert them from the factory.
zymurgist
Unfortunately, this is a known problem with Ford engines.

Repair article (sales pitch)
Jake Raby
Why do so many people on this board have issues with ejecting spark plugs?? Last week it was a mini, this week an F 150.
matthepcat
A buddy of mine did the same thing on his 90's V6 Toyota pickup.

The Hawaii air helped facilitate that one.
stugray
I had this happen on the way to the airport in my 75 Buick Skylark.

I heard the engine getting louder & louder until it sounded like the exhaust had come off.

I looked under the hood, and a spark plug was MISSING.
I thought Cr aP - how will I make my flight now.

I looked around and found the plug jammed in the motor mount.
I screwed it back in finger-tight and was on my way!!!

On another note: "steel plugs in aluminum heads = problem waiting to happen."

In my world (aerospace), it is Absolutely Verboten to put a threaded fastener directly in Aluminum.
Ford should know better - Google 'Thermal Coefficient of Expansion' for Al vs Steel.

Stu
zymurgist
I would be willing to bet that somewhere along the line, somebody at Ford realized that if spark plugs can go 100,000 miles without changes and the powertrain warranty goes to 60,000 miles, they could make the case that this is a problem that would not be cost effective to solve, since the plugs would not be removed during the warranty period. Piss poor from an engineering perspective, though, as far as I'm concerned.

It sure caused customer satisfaction to take a dump among the owners of the affected vehicles, though.
stewteral
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 27 2011, 11:54 AM) *

steel plugs in aluminum heads = problem waiting to happen.

i guess if plugs are replaced often enough & anti seize is used - problem could be avoided?

i like cast iron and steel : )

seems many newer high mileage cars are gonna have a cert in them. my suby has one, my festiva had one. they should cert them from the factory.

Hey Jim,

It's a great advice using anti-sieze on plugs. I'm sure you meant
COPPER ANTI-SEIZE (made for this purpose) as the usual silver stuff will INSULATE the plug from transferring heat to the head, overheat it and cause detonation.

Best,
Terry
Steve
I read that the problem is actually not enough threads for the spark plug to screw into. Supposedtly the defective head only covers half the threads, so over time the spark plug works its way out.
stewteral
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 27 2011, 01:15 PM) *

I read that the problem is actually not enough threads for the spark plug to screw into. Supposedtly the defective head only covers half the threads, so over time the spark plug works its way out.

Hey Steve,

If a Helicoil won't satisfy you as a good fix, you could look into the spark plug inserts used in VW heads....evidently, they found the problem decades ago.

BTW: I'm completely sympathetic to this problem as I've experience some thread
problems on the ALU heads on the Chevy engine in my 914.

Best,
Terry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.