Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Original Customs did such great work on my 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Z
scotty b
Nice smile.gif Those wheels look really good on it too beerchug.gif
tdgray
That's a beauty Rob :sweet:
ConeDodger
Thanks! Mark is a Weber synching wizard and I just rebuilt the triple Webers... I am having him synch the carbs and get it all tuned at sea level, then I will haul it over the hill and change the jetting for 4500' above sea level... smile.gif
JStroud
I saw your cars yesterday Rob. Drove my 74 to Marks yesterday for him to look it over and some fine tuning. I love your Z, very nice car, makes me wish I would have kept my 72.

They're in good hands though, Mark does great work!

Jeff
ConeDodger
LOL!! The Cap'n will love this! After I rebuilt the carbs and reinstalled everything, I spent weeks trying to get the darn thing to run. I thought I screwed the pooch rebuilding the carbs but how? You just take them apart and clean them and put them back together. So I take it to Mark.

Pertronix unit burned out blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jsconst @ Dec 27 2011, 08:14 AM) *

I saw your cars yesterday Rob. Drove my 74 to Marks yesterday for him to look it over and some fine tuning. I love you're Z, very nice car, makes me wish I would have kept my 72.

They're in good hands though, Mark does great work!

Jeff

Oh cool Jeff! You have a running 914! Should have gone to lunch at the Fremont in my 914! driving.gif
OmaPossu
Beautiful! In my shopping list too. Do you have original wheels?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Dec 27 2011, 08:20 AM) *

Beautiful! In my shopping list too. Do you have original wheels?

Being of the same era, Z's were treated kind of like 914's at the dealership. Although the factory never had an original alloy wheel for the Z until the 280Z (IIRC), the dealership would pull off the original wheels and put an aftermarket alloy on to pump up their profit margin. Mine came with a slotted dished wheel. I do still have them, but finding good 14" tires for them is difficult and given my propensity for track days, autocrossing and generally exploring limits, I can't compromise with tires. evilgrin.gif
zymurgist
Japanese Babydoll! driving.gif
wingnut86
I'm jealous, my wife made me sell my last Z, a black 77', when we first moved overseas (prior to cell phones).

Hmmm, I don't miss that damn aluminum head issue though mad.gif
rick 918-S
I have my eye on a low mileage original Z stashed on a garage about a mile from my house. evilgrin.gif Just waiting to pounce... happy11.gif
EdwardBlume
It looks close to the car Madonna sprawled herself over.... figures.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Dec 27 2011, 01:11 PM) *

I'm jealous, my wife made me sell my last Z, a black 77', when we first moved overseas (prior to cell phones).

Hmmm, I don't miss that damn aluminum head issue though mad.gif

It's absolutely not a problem as long as you don't ever overheat Wing... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 27 2011, 03:37 PM) *

It looks close to the car Madonna sprawled herself over.... figures.

I never saw that picture Rob. See if you can find it! I did a search and it seems that you are talking about the Borderline video. When I search I can't find it. Warner Bros. has had the video pulled everywhere it pops up. From the chatter on Classic Z site, she sprawls across a white 280ZX and in the last part spray paints on it?
sean_v8_914
lovely fair lady
porbmw
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 28 2011, 10:21 AM) *

lovely fair lady

Nice! aktion035.gif
And nice just to see these still surviving...
Do they come with jackstands? biggrin.gif
BajaXJ92
Will a 350 fit in there? biggrin.gif poke.gif

Nice car! drooley.gif
HarveyH
Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away; back when the 240Z first came out, I knew a guy who had to have one in Silver. For those of you who are too young to remember, it was 'The' hot car, and they were being brought in very slowly; waiting lists and all that. It took him about 6 months to finally get one in Silver (he refused a number of other colors to wait for one). He had it for an hour and a half and rolled it......

Harvey
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Dec 28 2011, 10:29 AM) *

Will a 350 fit in there? biggrin.gif poke.gif

Nice car! drooley.gif

Yes, often mated to a 700R4 transmission. Ultimate sleeper if done right! Homey don't play that way. Not that I would kick it out of my driveway for leaking oil but I like to work around the original platform. I have begun collecting parts to do a 2.8 turbo with MegaSquirt.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Dec 28 2011, 10:39 AM) *

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away; back when the 240Z first came out, I knew a guy who had to have one in Silver. For those of you who are too young to remember, it was 'The' hot car, and they were being brought in very slowly; waiting lists and all that. It took him about 6 months to finally get one in Silver (he refused a number of other colors to wait for one). He had it for an hour and a half and rolled it......

Harvey

I take it you knew this guy very personally Harvey??? sad.gif
wingnut86
I fell in love with the black Z and traded a 69' GTO straight across for it
headbang.gif

I actually wanted an early VW Schriroco on the same lot in Robbins, GA - but some other dude got there 1st. The Z was 2nd place winner.

And yes, it would do 140mph easily on I-75 and 80 on the backroads of Middle Georgia Damn heads just wouldn't cool fast enough in 35mph/high rev/S-curves. Bad design beer.gif

I won't share what the cash trade ended up being for the GTO, but I watched one sell at auction recently for $47k - and my goat was a damn site prettier and 40+ more horsepower with a dry sump...
stirthepot.gif

headbang.gif
J P Stein
A buddy has a Z car. He runs it in FP N/A with around 300HP from a 2.8L. It's a good AX motor....torquey. He got away from the sport but is now getting back into it. A few years ago he was the terror of the local SCCA AXs.
bulitt
Hot cars!
IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 28 2011, 12:22 PM) *

A buddy has a Z car. He runs it in FP N/A with around 300HP from a 2.8L. It's a good AX motor....torquey. He got away from the sport but is now getting back into it. A few years ago he was the terror of the local SCCA AXs.

I got beaten by one of those at a Norcal AX. By less than 1/2 a second, but still.
shades.gif
914.SBC
That might be my next project. I had a 260z right after high school. A 350 works great in those little things and no cooling prolems to worry about.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 28 2011, 06:51 PM) *

I got beaten by one of those at a Norcal AX. By less than 1/2 a second, but still.
shades.gif

Andy,
Was it Jim Newport in a black and gold Z? If so, he has a Rebello 3.1 Stroker motor. Oh, and he is a hell of a driver too!
racerbvd
I have a set of OEM hubcaps off a 78 biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
FML!!

Very nice Rob.
J P Stein

shades.gif

This guy waxed me for 3-4 years. I never did beat him but Brit got him several times
....then John went on a hiatus.....lost his job. He has a family & some medical problems.....that will bring "things" to a halt but has now recovered from both.
HarveyH
I take it you knew this guy very personally Harvey??? sad.gif

A friend of a friend that I had I met several times. Could be a tall tale, you never really know. confused24.gif Haven't seen either of them in 35 years or so....

Harvey
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 28 2011, 07:02 PM) *
shades.gif

Andy,
Was it Jim Newport in a black and gold Z? If so, he has a Rebello 3.1 Stroker motor. Oh, and he is a hell of a driver too!

Yepp, that was the one. Big tires too. Plenty of good excuses why he beat me ... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Oh hell... I was talking to McMark today and he had an idea to hide a wideband A:F gauge inside the console ashtray... I am starting to warm up to it... Let me know what you think in billable hours blink.gif
McMark
Got the O2 sensor bung installed. So it's just a matter of wiring things up and making a mounting plate. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Gotta order some smaller idle jets. The car was still running rich with the mixture screws 1/4 turn from seated. pinch.gif
McMark
Test fit...
ConeDodger
Very cool! biggrin.gif So I can open it up when I want to see how I am doing and close it and I have a perfectly stock looking interior... Nice.

I wonder if the MSD will take up some of that rich running situation? At least below 3000 RPM.
McMark
Turned out pretty well. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
DAMN!!! evilgrin.gif
rick 918-S
Very nice Mark! beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
Do you have that pristine dash in yet biggrin.gif ?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jan 3 2012, 09:09 PM) *

Do you have that pristine dash in yet biggrin.gif ?

I do! Thank you once again... Funny thing about it is the car ran great before the dash went in. I removed the windshield to make it easier and butchered the old dash to get it out, then I installed the new one and transferred the VIN#. After I got done, I could crank the thing all day and wouldn't get it to fire. Turns out, someone had hooked up an electric fuel pump by running a wire all the way to the front and getting power underneath the dash. I thought it was some random old stereo wiring and eliminated it. OOoops! blink.gif It took a while to figure it out, and eventually, I will eliminate that and hook it up to the factory wiring harness in the back but yes... Installing the dash took the car out of commission for a month or so!
ConeDodger
Mark, where did you take power from? Surely not the cigarette lighter! sad.gif
sixnotfour
Porsche Content;
Chev v-8 in a 944 Turbo Chassis , that's a Combo !!

Great gauge stash
Chris Pincetich

That black and gold Z is one of my top 10 favorites of all the NorCal AX machines
huge flares, huge tires, huge motor, and mean-lookin
drooley.gif
beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 4 2012, 12:58 PM) *

That black and gold Z is one of my top 10 favorites of all the NorCal AX machines
huge flares, huge tires, huge motor, and mean-lookin
drooley.gif
beerchug.gif

Kinda like this Chris? That thing kicks azz! He is a PCA member and I think a member here too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.