Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing the Speedometer Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
m170seeker
I am getting ready to replace a broken speedometer cable. Thought I'd ask for advice before trying it. Do I have to take the steering wheel off to remove the instrument cluster? Any other suggestions or things I should be prepared for?
SLITS
No pulling of steering wheel, but you will pull the interior (center tunnel carpet, console and 3rd seat deposit box).

Make sure you have the correct one ... '69 - '74 are one length and '75 - '76 with EGR counter is shorter (and there is actually two).

Once you remove the interior (removing driver's seat is nice too), just follow the old one as to where the new one is to be installed. Install from rear of car.

Not rocket science ......
TheCabinetmaker
lol. same answer he got at the other place. imagine that.
SLITS
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Dec 27 2011, 12:22 PM) *

Tejans always need to told twice ............. biggrin.gif
m170seeker
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 27 2011, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Dec 27 2011, 12:22 PM) *

Tejans always need to told twice ............. biggrin.gif

Actually, I have not recived an answer at any other place. Seems like you too are clueless.
TheCabinetmaker
Well, you might want to check your thread at the 914 club.com

Signed, clueless.
TheCabinetmaker
Slits and I both are probably as clueless as they come, but we have replaced a few cables in our time. laugh.gif
m170seeker
I was the clueless one. Got your answer late. Sorry. Wish me luck.
Jeffs9146
You can use the early cable with the late cars and remove the EGR box! beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
No luck needed. its a difficulity of 1 on a 1 to 10 scale. You'll be fine.
Harpo
Sorry about the hijack but what is the purpose of the
EGR box on the late models.

Thanks

Dave
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 27 2011, 05:11 PM) *

Sorry about the hijack but what is the purpose of the
EGR box on the late models.

Thanks

Dave

EGR Box triggered a light on the dash at a specific point when you needed to service the sensor on the exhaust!
infraredcalvin
Great, I've been wondering what that thing was, and how to get rid of it. Curious what the interval was, cause I put over 50k miles on my car before tearing apart and never saw the light. Don't know if the PO ever did as well.
Harpo
Pelican carries P/N 914-641-111-00-M74 this is for all years except the egr cars from California.

Thanks

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.