Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 window roll up trouble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
I just bought a 72 1.7l and neither of the windows will roll up. Upon further inspection the piece that grabs the window to heave it up will not stay in it's slot. Is there a fix for this?
SpecialK
Sound like the little white nylon wheel/slider on the back arm of the window mechanism is worn or missing. Not sure who sells them, or if they even do sell them, but you could probably find someone on the board that has a couple of spares laying around.
86motoman
QUOTE(Special_K @ Aug 23 2004, 09:18 AM)
Sound like the little white nylon wheel/slider on the back arm of the window mechanism is worn or missing. Not sure who sells them, or if they even do sell them, but you could probably find someone on the board that has a couple of spares laying around.

yeah...it's the white nylon piece. It doesn't look broke...just worn. I am wondering if alignment will pull it out of this as well.
markb
Check to see if there is a piece at the lower back of the window. This holds the window in the rear channel. Mine had fallen off & needed to be re-glued to the window before the window would stay in the mechanism.
86motoman
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 23 2004, 01:03 PM)
Check to see if there is a piece at the lower back of the window. This holds the window in the rear channel. Mine had fallen off & needed to be re-glued to the window before the window would stay in the mechanism.

The piece that the window slips into is there...though it does need reglued. What kind of glue did you use?

When the window is at the bottom, the nylon piece likes to pop out.
gopack
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Cause i cant visualize it .....and

givemebeer.gif cause it is almost quitting time! and i liek the SMILEY~
beemie96
agree.gif

On both. I have issues with my windows... '72 as well... the little rubber piece... trapeziodal and black? some pics of how that looks would be swell... and beer is always swell. beerchug.gif
GWN7
I had the same problem with the70's drivers window. I took it by my son's work (body shop) and they put some 2 part epoxy in the channel. Said leave it for a day to dry...hasn't fallen again.
markb
QUOTE(86motoman @ Aug 23 2004, 01:25 PM)

The piece that the window slips into is there...though it does need reglued.  What kind of glue did you use?

When the window is at the bottom, the nylon piece likes to pop out.

I took the car to my friendly neighborhood windshield repair shop & he used some of his REALLY GOOD stick'em stuff. Don't know what it was exactly, but after me trying a few things that didn't stick long, it was worth taking it to him. He didn't even charge me.... wink.gif
bondo
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 23 2004, 07:08 PM)

I took the car to my friendly neighborhood windshield repair shop & he used some of his REALLY GOOD stick'em stuff. Don't know what it was exactly, but after me trying a few things that didn't stick long, it was worth taking it to him. He didn't even charge me.... wink.gif

Was that by any chance the place on the corner of Halcyon and Grand? (I went there to get an unusual windshield seal and he gave me a nice plastic tool for wedging it in)
markb
This is National Auto Glass in Santa Maria. Nice guy, very old-school. Works on a lot of customs & hot rods. He can be a little pricey sometimes, but I've had pretty good luck with him, and he gives good deals for the shop. He's right across the street from our upholstery guy.
bondo
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 23 2004, 09:39 PM)
This is National Auto Glass in Santa Maria. Nice guy, very old-school. Works on a lot of customs & hot rods. He can be a little pricey sometimes, but I've had pretty good luck with him, and he gives good deals for the shop. He's right across the street from our upholstery guy.

You have an upholstery guy? Do tell! I may end up having some seats redone, and maybe a dash (I'm really liking what I've seen of the stitched leather dash covers)
markb
Actually, I'm hoping to make a deal with Dr.Evil down in San Diego. He's got some nice looking upholstery pieces, and pricing seems on a par with what everyone else is doing.
86motoman
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Aug 23 2004, 05:54 PM)
I had the same problem with the70's drivers window. I took it by my son's work (body shop) and they put some 2 part epoxy in the channel. Said leave it for a day to dry...hasn't fallen again.

I like the glue idea. wink.gif

I won't be able to post any pics for a couple of days. I'll see about taking some before I glue. biggrin.gif

This thing is going to be on the road yet!!! beerchug.gif
dralf
It has been 32 years since I fixed the problem on my first 914, but from the sounds of it you have a similar problem.
I took that door apart about a dozzzzzzen times and every time I would have the wiondow rolled down and the door was closed the thing would pop off. I finnally fixed it by putting a spent ( that is a used ) 22 cartridge ( the brass case was just the perfect size and shape ) down the crank tube. It fit nicely inside and kept the crank mechnism from going all the way to the bottom and allowing the "thingy" to pop out/off....the window still went down as I recall but perhaps stuck up just a fraction of an inch, nothing that ever was a problem.

I hope this story gives you another option or at least put a smile on your face. wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.