Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Would you spend a bunch of time on a AX car paint job to make to smooth and look a mile deep? Or spary it and have a good looking but not a show type paint job. Its going to be dark burgandy with bright yellow stripes. I may fade the stripes to a orangeish color. idea.gif
SLITS
Rattle cans - it's a race car laugh.gif

Naw, making it look like a show car is nonsense. Money is better spent on things that make it go like stink.
eeyore
Take the middle road. Decent prep work, but go with a lighter color that won't highlight flaws so much.

You can't do rattle can, because I just bought a case of flat black, outdoor Rustoleum, and I've gotsta be unique.
Stutgart46
Let me know if you find somebody that can paint. I'm in Houston and I need a paint job as well.
Yellow with Burgandy stripes? Are you some kind of ASU fan or something?
watsonrx13
Have you and a couple of 'friends' buy a 30 gal compressor and sprayer for paint. You could then shoot it with the primer, then paint and when you scrape/bend/ouch it, you'll be able to repair and paint.

Save your cash of things to make the car safe, go fast and stop fast. driving.gif
Lou W
I had a friend in High School who paint his truck with House paint and a roller, we used to call him the "Lucite Kid". laugh.gif For you young ones out there Lucite was a house paint. cool.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE(Stutgart46 @ Aug 23 2004, 11:44 AM)
Let me know if you find somebody that can paint. I'm in Houston and I need a paint job as well.
Yellow with Burgandy stripes? Are you some kind of ASU fan or something?

No its burgandy with yellow stripes. Thats the color because thats the expired paint I got from work. I did a CBR 600 in the Smokn Joes race colors Blue and yellow remember them? We need a smile with a spray gun rolleyes.gif
brant
Larry,

I think you should finish the car off to the quality that you are comfortable with....

a lot of 500 $ macco jobs look fine on a race car...
but I have to say, the real classy cars that run in vintage, the historics, or any top level of motorsport definitely show attention to detail beyond macco.

brant
Allan
I think it's whatever you can live with on a racer. Being that this is not NASCAR we can do whatever we want. I would say, get a decent one if you plan on driving on the street but if the only use is on the track, who cares. Just remember, the 914 is the fastest and most powerful production car ever built. LOL!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
URY914
I painted my car in the may garage last fall. Spent about $100 primer and paint.

You can do it. Go to a local paint supply store and ask the manager for some advice. Tell them its you're first time and you wnt it cheap. They'll help you.

Here I am painting mine
spare time toys
I am spraying it out in the shop my self. I put the compressor in the garage on the house. The shop is a seperate 20 x 26 building wink.gif When I painted the bike it was in the house garage and was to;d I will not do that again Yack.gif The big slow down is some parts coming from out on the east coast. I got a deck lid like Mobby has and a IMSA style fromt end for it. The guy is going to drop it off on his way out to Laguna for the Sep 11 race.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.