Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stalling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2-OH!
1975 - 2.0- FI - Stock Motor

After a down hill (doesn't have to be very long) where I don't accelerate, the motor dies when I stop for the red light or stop sign...No sputtering, choking or coughing just dies...

Starts right back up and runs OK, but why does it die...

Need ideas what to check or change...

2-OH!
rhodyguy
no idea as to the problem, but it must be a big pain living up at the top of the bonney lake plateau.

kevin
2-OH!
No help ...Huh...

2-OH!
MarkG
On a carbonated car of course one would think float issues, but on injected car none of the 'usual suspects' apply......

Only possible thing I can think of is wire or something shifts and cuts off engine.....or FP shorts out against body .....but heavy braking should re-create a similar problem as this would also cause a forward shift of parts...
rhodyguy
rick, if you are going down the long grade to sumner, put it in neutral, and are coasting, will it die? or just when you apply the brakes? perhaps a fuel pickup problem? no dying problem when stopping on the flat or are pointing uphill? what did you do with/to the tank when you had it apart?

kevin
DNHunt
Rick

I wonder if it is a function of a bad decel valve. when it works it is supposed to lean out the mixture on over run. People might think you are an idiot but I'd go find a hill and get it to stall then go take a nose hit out of the exhaust. If you smell gas it's probably rich but i suspect it will smell like exhaust. My guess is it's lean. If so I'd remove the decel valve and try the hill again and see if it still does it. I think it'll keep running.

You might want to pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Dave
2-OH!
Dave, I'm in agreement with you...

Remember (or maybe not) last week I posted that I have the vacuum line from the retard side of the distributor disconected and plugged...If I hook it up, the RPM hunts about 1,000RPM's and the idle is irratic...

The lowest idle I can get is 1300...No Air By-Pass screw at all...

The adjustment screw on the Brain is two clicks south (counterclock wise) of center...I think I will try to adjust it up one click at a time and see if I get any change...

And yes people think I'm an idiot...

Kevin:

I will try the coasting idea and see what happens...I think you are at least partly right because it's almost as if the motor is loading up and choking out...I don't think it is a fuel pick-up problem because the tank was cleaned when I put it back in and the filter is new and it runs well (well OK anyway) in all other modes...

The idle situation is getting worst though so something will manifest itself soon...

Keep the ideas coming...

Thanks guys,

2-OH!
red914
did you ever do something with all those blocked off vacuum hoses? on a FI setup, isn't it pretty sensitive to those issues?
JohnM
I have this problem, too. 73 1.7 running original Djet (not avatar car- had that one 15yrs ago). I found it would cut out in idle upon stopping on a down hill slope (not uphill slope and not in heavy braking) within the first week of owning the car (only had to happen twice). Just cuts out clean like throwing a switch. Starts back up on the slope with no problem and will keep running. I have not had the chance to troubleshoot it. No major problems with FI performance other than a bit of idle searching (~800 to near cut out but catches its self and goes back to 800) upon cold start that goes away in a few minutes of running. Tends to Idle low when it gets hot (500-750).

I just bought the car a couple of weeks ago and can you believe a SUV backed up into me within the first week! Female driver had been waiting at an intersection for the left turn arrow and it was "taking too long" so she backed up to run over the senors again. She thought she was alone at the signal and never even looked back by her own admission. Destroyed beautiful black 31 year old paint. I need a hood and bumper- had just been upgraded to chrome non bumperette one. I can still get the original black painted/bumperette bumper from PO but I liked the clean chrome one. Has been sitting in body shop this last week as her insurance company evaluates it.

Anyway I will be interested in what you find is the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.