Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 Original 914-6 in Feb `12 HS&E
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Hemmings Sports & Exotics Feb. 2012 issue has a small piece on a very original 2 owner 71 914-6 Orange on Black on page 16.

The current owner is a member member here (albeit Lurker status currently), and it is in the VIN data base already 3x - my guess by two members listing it when it came up for sale by the original owner, and the current 2nd owner.

Nice looking Six & hopefully he'll eventually treat us to pictures here. type.gif
drooley.gif wub.gif .... and I'm not even particularly an Orange 914 type! biggrin.gif

Cheers beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

71 sixer
Tom,

As requested, I have attached a couple of pictures of my recently acquired 1971 914-6.

I have owned a number of different Porsches, but never a 914-6. During the mid to late 1980's I had owned a 1976 914 that I loved, but eventually sold because it wasn't practicle as my daily driver.

The more I thought about acquiring a 914-6, the more the interest level grew. So, on a whim, I posted a WTB ad in Panorama saying that I was looking for a original numbers matching 914-6. I never really expected to get any serious leads. And actually got a few e-mails from current owner's that were contemplating selling their 914-6's, but when I pressed...........they backed off and withdrew their potential offer to sell. Then I heard from the person that owned the car I bought. I felt this might be too good to be true. Why would a original owner sell this car? Long story short, he and his wife were selling their home (6 car garage) to move into a Assisted Living facility and would no longer have a place to store the car. I bought the car sight unseen and haven't regretted one second. He included with the car the following: window sticker, original bill of sale, original owner's manual, tool kit, and many extra items like a complete set of Mahle gas burners, NOS distributor, extra targa top etc. The car drives as good as it looks. My wife allows me just one Porsche at a time, and I sold a 1987 Carerra with just 20,000 miles in pristine condition to buy the 914-6. Haven't regretted that either. Sure I would have liked to have held onto the 911, but my wife's wishes overruled that.

Have been really impressed with 914World and the level of interest and support!! Glad to be part of the community!

Tim

71 sixer
A couple more pictures
1970 Neun vierzehn
Nice pics, nice car and nice to have you with us.

I too saw the car in HS&E, congrats on a very nice acquistion. beer.gif

Paul
SirAndy
Damn! That's a nice score! first.gif
Cairo94507
God Bless the man who took such loving care of that gem. If that car sold for less than $40K it was a steal! I'm just saying'........

markb
welcome.png

Very nice car! beerchug.gif
bandjoey
WOW OH WOW OH WOW! w00t.gif pray.gif

PLEASE PLEASE Do all of us (YOU) a favor. Replace the battery with a new Sealed Battery, and have the fuel lines replaced with metal.

--see the multiple posts here of car fires from old fuel lines--we have great vendors here that have the proper preformed fuel lines in metal.

welcome.png
badm
You have to love a 914/6 in Signal Orange!, but I'm biased. I as well sold another Porsche to buy/finish my car and have never looked back. Welcome to the madness! Badm beerchug.gif
championgt1
Amazing car! I love orange. wub.gif
phillstek
That is the car of my dreams..if only. Truly a beautiful car, you lucky bastard.

phil
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png Fantastic car. Congratulations. Is that your driveway?

Cheers, Elliot
Tom_T
Tim, ...welcome back to Middie Madness! biggrin.gif

That's a great setting for a beautiful 914-6! It's #377 in `71 folks.

I sense a COTM nomination coming & some concours preservation entries coming next Spring & Summer! smilie_pokal.gif

I noticed on the window sticker pic you sent in for HS&E, that someone crossed out the light alloy wheel option, and yet the original owner passed along sets both Fuchs & Mahle wheels to you.

Did he ever clarify that possible deletion & his acquisition of 2 sets?

I've always loved the look of the Mahles on the 914-6s - more so than the Fuchs ! wub.gif
....yeah, everyone here will jump in to say I'm crazy & they like Fuchs.....but to each his own.

Food for thought Tim..... smile.gif
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
71 sixer
Tom,

Below are some comments from the original owner that answer your questions.

"I had a friend in my town, Bennington, Vermont at the time, that owned a 914-6. He told me of the one at a dealer in Schnectady, NY. He said I could probably get a good deal because he had 914-6s and 914-4s side by side on the floor but the price was different by about $2000 I think. anyway I went over and looked at it and made an offer. We negotiated back and forth for a week or so before they finally got low enough. In the showroom it had Fuchs Wheels. Since it was my only car I was afraid the salt would wreck the wheels and I had them put steel wheels on the car when they delivered it to me on January 7, 1971. That also reduced the price a bit which helped since I had two kids in private school. (Both are now Princeton Engineering graduates)."

For those who did not see HS&E article with the original window sticker, thought you might like to see it and the bill of sale. Attached another picture with my son Carter at the wheel.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Feel very lucky to have found this car.
JawjaPorsche
That is one awesome teener! Looks like we a future teener owner in the last picture. He looks like he is ready to take it for a spin if only his legs could reach the pedals!
6freak
SWEET first.gif
Vysoc
It's Like a Storybook Tale.

Lovely Car great story, check the Battery and Fuel lines as mentioned above.

It would be great to be a steward of such a wonderful car.

Congratulations!

Vysoc flag.gif
Tom_T
Caretake hell - drive that sucker! driving.gif w00t.gif

Tim - odd thing was - the Fuchs & Mahles are aluminum/magnesium alloys & probably more resistant to the salted roads, than were the steelies. But it sounds like price was also the issue too, as we all have come across! biggrin.gif

Maybe you can fir out some strap on stilts for your young Teener there (son, grandson?) so he can start early!!?? driving.gif laugh.gif

PS - gotta love those matching orange flecked black Coco Mats!
SGB
Thats just an amazing car. Good decision.
6freak
whats the odometer read?? just curious....again dang nice ride
jtf914
Wow, that's gorgeous!! Those Fuchs are deep sixes as well, nice...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.