Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Engine compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
Dropped motor and would like to clean up and paint engine compartment.Whats the best way? Spray cleaner? Wire brush or What? any Ideas confused24.gif
Lou W
My first choice would be Gunk engine degreaser, it works great and I use it all the time. I used Castrol engine degreaser once, and it took off some of the paint, if that's not an issue and you have real stubburn grease then try the Castrol. Good Luck smile.gif
spunone
Thanks Lou will do clap56.gif
eeyore
If it isn't super thick / heavy, I go for Simple Green concentrate and a stiff brush. But I also discovered the joys for Turpentine for the really heavy stuff.
Demick
The original Gunk engine degreaser is really nasty stuff and smells awful and the smell hangs around for days. But there is now a version of it called Foamy engine degreaser (still made by gunk) which I like a lot better. No strong smell, plus it sprays on as a foam and sticks where you spray it (at least until the foam turns back to liquid). Don't know how well it works for engine compartments, but I like it for greasy engine parts.

Demick
Lou W
I didn't know about the new stuff, that's even a better idea if it sticks better, old stuff was runny. smile.gif
smg914
Mineral Spirits does a nice job. Make sure you have adequate ventilation.
Brad Roberts
My all time favorite.. never lets me down... Berrymans Brake Cleaner.. spray it on and watch it blow away the bad stuff..

B
Andyrew
And you buy that by the case.. Dont you...

I've used Castrol with good results, brake clean with good results (but you go through that like crazy.. one can, and your done after like 30 seconds...). I'd go with Castrol, big purple container.. Then get some spray paint, and paint the compartment afterwards.. You'll pat yourself on the back each time you look in the engine bay.
Brad Roberts
Nope.. we buy it by the PALLET now... LOL

Watch for it in our Ecomm area.. I'm going to sell it to the 914 people...

B
rhodyguy
something a little user friendly. a product called Oil Eater, check at costco. big container, low price. works great on the oily mess. berrymans for the pad adhesive if you're deleteing the pad.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.