Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal dash problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sea Dragon 914
I have a 73 914 that has a curious problem in that whether the left or right turn signal is turned on, both lights turn on my dashboard blink dimly instead of one side or the other like my other 73 914.

What could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mike Bellis
There was a change in 73-74 to go to a single indicator lamp.
flipb
This has come up before. My early build '74 (build date 8/73) has two bulbs, but both flash together whenever a turn signal is used.

There was a rumor that replacing the turn signal relay with one from a VW bus would solve the issue... In fact, I think I vaguely remember ordering a bus relay for my parts stash, but I've never installed it.

Except in direct sunlight, it's usually easy to see the edge of the front turn signal lens flashing to confirm I've flicked the right correct one.
Sea Dragon 914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 28 2011, 10:48 AM) *

There was a change in 73-74 to go to a single indicator lamp.

I thought that was for a later year. My 74 has a single light. There is separate wiring and lights to each turn signal arrow. My other 73 had individual lights and I seem to recall that the car serial numbers are pretty close.

Here is a link to the tach I have in the car. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...tachometer.html

Was there a different turn signal relay used for the cars that had individual versus combined interior lights?

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 28 2011, 11:47 AM) *

This has come up before. My early build '74 (build date 8/73) has two bulbs, but both flash together whenever a turn signal is used.

There was a rumor that replacing the turn signal relay with one from a VW bus would solve the issue... In fact, I think I vaguely remember ordering a bus relay for my parts stash, but I've never installed it.

Except in direct sunlight, it's usually easy to see the edge of the front turn signal lens flashing to confirm I've flicked the right correct one.

VWs, except for 1970 or so and older, use a 3 prong relay. Doesn't have to be a bus, they use the same one for all of 'em up to at least the late '80s or early '90s. IIRC, 3 pin relays don't work in place of 4 pin relays. If they worked, we'd all be running 10 dollar VW turn signal relays ..................................

The Cap'n
zzwhm
QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Dec 28 2011, 12:08 PM) *

I have a 73 914 that has a curious problem in that whether the left or right turn signal is turned on, both lights turn on my dashboard blink dimly instead of one side or the other like my other 73 914.

What could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had the same problem. New turn signal relay solved it.
Bill
Montreal914
I also have a 73 with two indiviual blikers in the tach (as it's supposed to be) and I have a similar problem. They will turn on individually for the first couple of flashes but then they will both come on dimmed confused24.gif .
So if I understand the previous replies, a standard VW relay of the same era will do the trick, maybe they are cheaper idea.gif.
larss
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 29 2011, 07:14 AM) *

I also have a 73 with two indiviual blikers in the tach (as it's supposed to be) and I have a similar problem. They will turn on individually for the first couple of flashes but then they will both come on dimmed confused24.gif .
So if I understand the previous replies, a standard VW relay of the same era will do the trick, maybe they are cheaper idea.gif.

This is excatly the problem i have on my '72 914/4. I dont think a standard 3pin relay will solve it since the 914 of this time had a 4 pin one.

/Lars
SirAndy
QUOTE(zzwhm @ Dec 28 2011, 07:03 PM) *
I had the same problem. New turn signal relay solved it.

agree.gif

Same here ... Little twist, when mine started doing this, i could get it to blink independently for a while by keeping the rpm over ~2k or so. But after a while that stopped working also. New relay did the trick.
bradtho
72/4 and same for me. been too far down the list to ever try to solve. hmm, may need to get a new relay.

Just like Andy, I've sworn that the rev's make a difference for some reason.
Sea Dragon 914
I ordered a new turn signal relay and will report back the findings when I install it.

Thanks everyone!
toolguy
before you do that, check the wattage of the bulbs. . . If you use a lower wattage bulb turn sign, it will cause exactly that problem . . . In my restoration, I had everything working on my car and did a wholesale replacement of all bulbs, and had the same issue. . . found the two front bulbs were not the correct wattage. . put the old bulbs in and everything back to normal
. . . . I looked at the wiring diagram and damn if I could figure out why this happened. . but the solution to my issue was another set of new bulbs in the correct wattage. . Mine is a 1970 914-6. .
Sea Dragon 914
Changed out the turn signal relay and it works fine now.

Now I have to figure out why the horn doesn't work. Maybe it's that relay as well.

Thanks everyone.
bradtho
swapped my relay and now the clicking sound is deafening! wow, that's gonna help make sure I don't accidentally leave it on. what a nice easy (and cheap!) fix for something I've spent way too much time wondering about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.