Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a Drill Sgt. to make me work on Car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharrison
I need people to e-mail me every Monday and ask me what I did to my car this weekend!!!

I am sooooo disappointed in myself for not doing a better job. I need to put the ground strap and new 911 starter in. Get two new rear tires......and go for a ride!!!

-Matt
dinomium
Dood!
Unless you have three or more dead 14s in your driveway, you are just fine! You can replace one of the cars with a major remodle of a room in your house for an excuse...
biggrin.gif
The reason being, it is only a hobbie unless:
have 3 or more cars
neglected other parts of your life, like say after you demolished the main bathroom
sat and blankly stared for more than three hours at one of the cars
OR
In the middle of dinner muttered outloud how guilty you feel that you are not working on you cars after your wife has made dinner and you have spent all weekend in the Rain working on a pal's brand new 911 gt3 cup car

Then you have passed into the obsessive side and will need a swift kick every monday otherwise you will piss off everybody around you because they will be sick of hearing about how you wasted another 48 hours of prime 914 time watching movies or going to clubs et al...
oh wait, that is me...

Dood! didja get anything done on your car this weekend?
happy11.gif
SLITS
Whad ya'll do to your car this week?

Damn, you should feel guilty as hell.

Get offin yer lazy ass and get in the garage.

What the hell ya waitin' for.............Christmas?

No emails - just public humiliation! alfred.gif slap.gif
Allan
Why would you need to work on a 914? They are bullet proof!!!! biggrin.gif
Mueller
HEY NUMBNUTS, WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION????
seanery
I'm in the same situation.

I've got (I think) all the parts to do both sways, 5 lug conversion, fuse panel, etc... sad.gif
red914
yeah, what dino said; it's just a hobby. well, for us it is anyway.

so, what are you planning to do with your car next weekend? (like that little twist?)
lapuwali
This is why a 40 hour job like the typical engine rebuild takes most people a year to do in their garage in their "spare" time.

Early Saturday: decide to work on car
Midday Saturday: still watching TV, reminded the lawn needs mowing
Saturday afternoon: discovered that bit of fencing still needs to be replaced
Saturday evening: went out for Chinese as no one feels like cooking
Saturday night: watched a movie

Early Sunday: slept in
Midday Sunday: mowed lawn
Sunday afternoon: went to hardware store for nails, repaired fence
Sunday evening: looked at the car in the garage, but decide beer and tools don't mix, go back in

And forget about Mon-Fri evenings...

Where's that spare time, exactly?
Allan
agree.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(dinomium @ Aug 23 2004, 02:45 PM)
Dood!
Unless you have three or more dead 14s in your driveway, you are just fine!

unsure.gif Well, only one in the driveway (patiently waiting for me to finish the brakes), one in the garage (getting jealous because I'm spending more time on the one in the driveway), and one in the backyard covered (getting picked apart like a Thanksgiving turkey)....and I haven't done sh*t to any of them in two weeks! Great, now I'm feeling like a lazy-ass. sad2.gif
RAR
Get outta that bed! Move it, move it! What'd you call me! Did I give you permission to speak?!! Drop and give me fifty! You people couldn't pour water out of a boot, hole in toe, INstructions written on heel!

You're welcome, and have a nice day. smile.gif
mack914
Guys, know what it takes to piss off the old lady, or do we? Keep up or lazy around. No matter what gets done, or how much progress has been make, the list is still there and there is still bitchen' to be done. So, guys do what you can do, and work on those 914s, because the bitchen will always be there. Enjoy yourselves. Remember, the guys die alot younger than the gals. So here is to all the 914 wives at there. finger.gif :finger2: finger.gif :finger2: finger.gif :finger2: finger.gif :finger2: Can yoiu sense that I'm angry?
PatW
I'll never forget my High School shop teacher/

"What's the problem Warren?! Yank that motor outta that car!." Or " Its just a hunk of metal. It dosen't know what day you are having or does it care. Don't let it beat you.

Now get out there or I'll send this guy over to talk to you. biggrin.gif
watsonrx13
Week day schedule:
5:00 am, wake up, take dogs out then feed them
5:30 am, drive to work
6:00 am, begin work
3:00 pm, leave work

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
3:30 pm, arrive at shop (built on in-laws property) and begin working on teener
5:00 pm, clean up
5:30 pm, arrive at home. Wife still working, telecommuting, working for company out of OC, take dogs swimming
6:00 pm, wife fixes dinner and watch news
10:00 pm, go to bed

Tuesday
4:00 pm, arrive at home, take dogs swimming

Thursday
4:00 pm, arrive at home, mow lawn
5:30 pm, take dogs swimming

Saturday
6:00 am, wake up, get paper, make coffee, take dogs out, then feed them
8:00 am - 10:00 pm DO WHATEVER THE WIFE WANTS TO DO, movies, shopping, lunch, dinner, et all

Sunday
6:00 am, wake up, get paper, make coffee, take dogs out, then feed them
7:00 am, arrive at shop and begin working on teener
1:00 pm, clean up (this time will change once the weather cools off, it's 90+ for the highs)
2:00 pm, take dogs swimming
3:00 pm, lunch and get ready to watch NASCAR/football on TV

I work 40 hrs/wk
I drive to and from work 10 hrs/wk
I work on a teener (I own 3) 10 hrs/wk - weather permitting.

So Matt, get off your butt, set a schedule, and go work on your teener....
Allan
watsonrx13, get rid of the dogs? sad.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(mharrison @ Aug 23 2004, 02:34 PM)
I need to put the ground strap and new 911 starter in. Get two new rear tires......

so what are you going to do the other half of your saturday?

:finger2:

seriously, get with it! it's fun, damnit!
Joe Ricard
Schedule is Sort like Rob's except I whop the dogs on the head for chewing shit up all day. Whop the dogs again for digging hole under fence (should fix it some day)

Work on teener every night till things get blury or to dark.

whop teenager on head for not cutting grass

Whop myself on head when I screw things up on 914.

Now I have new goal and you should too. Got to go racing!!!!! mueba.gif

Oh yea work on Rob's motor when parts get here pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif UPS girl. wub.gif
rick 918-S
What's wrong with you people. Don't you know there's 24 hrs. in a day? smash.gif quit playing with your mouse and get to work! Start a progress thread and show us some pictures! bootyshake.gif Come time for the WCC 05 I don't want to here any excuses you slackers!
SpecialK
Don't listen to Rick! He ain't right in the head! biggrin.gif

He's a fabrication ANIMAL that doesn't require any sleep!!

BTW - Gonna have the "Alien" back together for the FFC? I'm dying to see/hear it in person!
McMark
I'm waiting for epoxy to dry on my super cool washer pump mod. I'll post later. See, I'm working even when I'm posting on the board!
balljoint
Sunday evening: looked at the car in the garage, but decide beer and tools don't mix, go back in

Sometimes. In the right quantity (not too much) Beer can be a tool.

I wish that I only had a couple of things left to do before I could drive my car.

That said, please don't ask me how long my teener has been up on jackstands for. I don't think that anyone has bottled motivation yet, but they are probably planning on getting around to it, right after the afternoon nap.
tat2dphreak
I'm the same way, if I could get my ass up and make myself get over to the garage, I'll work for several hours... but getting there after work is not happening... and usually on the weekends there are 2 dozen things that I have put off all week, and I try to catch up on... there's also the obligitory movies,video games, and TV shows that I have to catch up on...

it would take a lot more than email though, I need the 'sarge to show up and DRAG me out of bed!
Rhodes71/914
Monday - Friday: Get up go to work, Home at 4pm, wife goes to work.
Take care of kids 3 & 8 months
Hope 8 month old takes a nap
Work on 914 for as long as she will nap. Could be 15 min could be an 1.5 hours.
Feed the kids, play with kids, watch some tv.
9pm kids in bed.
Either work on car until wife gets home around midnight or enjoy the peace and quiet and have a beer.

Weekends - Try to do some landscaping (1/2 acre is more than you think when you gotta fence it, lay sod, plant trees and maintain.
Go to the lake for the afternoon
Work on 914 in the evenings.

Do it all over again.

Did I mention the 2 boats that always need something, and one of these day I need to start that frame off resto of the 67 VW 21 Window.
winterkornj
A schedule huh.gif why didn't I think of that. You guys are brilliant. If I could just get rid of my 1.5 hour commute each day just look at all the time I would have for the porsche.
tat2dphreak
yep, in between work and commuting the week is a wash...

you guys that can get out there every day rock, no 2 ways about it... maybe I'll get determined and energetic one of these days
tommy914
Did you do anything on you car THIS weekend????
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Special_K @ Aug 23 2004, 09:57 PM)
Don't listen to Rick! He ain't right in the head! biggrin.gif

He's a fabrication ANIMAL that doesn't require any sleep!!

BTW - Gonna have the "Alien" back together for the FFC? I'm dying to see/hear it in person!

Parts on order. I'm waiting for a replacement timing belt and oil pump seal to arrive. I'll know more after I install the belt and take compression readings. I installed the replacement pump with the shredded belt. The motor started and seemed to run fine. I didn't rev the throttle or push the motor at all for fear of the belt slipping.

Even if I get it running I may have to travel to Fla. to help settle property damage claims during that time. All company vacation time is suspended until further notice.

Sandy and I just discussed it again this week. Were up for it but we'll see.... confused24.gif

BTW: Hi-jacked! And that's how you get things done! Get to work you magot! Move it!Move it! Move it!

Besides working on salery, building cars, and having a family, I'm spending my weekends building this!
SLITS
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 20 2004, 09:35 PM)
Besides working on salery, building cars, and having a family, I'm spending my weekends building this!

A home for lost and wayward aliens?
McMark
You're quite the ladder daredevil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.