Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NWHA Schedule for 2012
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Here is the schedule and Hoopa is back. Hoopa hasn't been run for a few years due to some difficuilty with the organizers, but it's one of the great hills, especially for hp cars.

So many great hills and so little time.

I'm going to do at least 2 and maybe a few more depending upon the old racing budget.

Click to view attachment

drgchapman
I am trying to hit a couple Hill climbs this year as well. Thanks for posting the schedule. Hope to see you at an event!
Randal

I'd love to see that fast machine of yours down at the Cascade Lakes event Gary.
With the power you have it would make a great hill climb machine.

I haven't run any of the events North of Medford, but would like to make it up to Bible Creek, which is close to Portland.

You ought to come down again for the Medford Enduro, which they run Spring and Fall. I think we can give the hill climb (hp) boys a run for their money at that track.
Britain Smith
Yea, they are all listed on Where2Race as well.

http://www.where2race.com/clubs/view/north...imb-association
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 28 2011, 09:45 PM) *

I'd love to see that fast machine of yours down at the Cascade Lakes event Gary.
With the power you have it would make a great hill climb machine.

I haven't run any of the events North of Medford, but would like to make it up to Bible Creek, which is close to Portland.

You ought to come down again for the Medford Enduro, which they run Spring and Fall. I think we can give the hill climb (hp) boys a run for their money at that track.

I am kinda planning on attending the Fall Enduro again...it is a good yard stick for the car's improvement since I hold the EMod track record smile.gif

I sucked it up last season and was a few second slower...however I did have the spin which didn't really help any.

-Britain
Eddie914
Here is a link to a video of me at the MaryHill event last fall.

http://youtu.be/PtzsR4MAbDo

Cheers

Eddie

How do you embed a video?
messix
awesome run Ed, next time i'll chase ya down! happy11.gif
Britain Smith
Geez, I would run out of gear on the first straight away.

Those drop-offs look scary.

-Britain
messix
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jan 3 2012, 10:06 PM) *

Geez, I would run out of gear on the first straight away.

Those drop-offs look scary.

-Britain

WUSS!

come for a ride in the jeep on a forest service road!
sixnotfour
Eddie, Great video, Really doesn't show the grade though, It is steeper than appears in the video.

I took my boss and his 427 corvette roadster there, Allen Grant , X Shelby driver was there and they would not let him run his Cobra, his seat belts were not bolted in, His reply was I don't wear it anyway. I helped him get his car through tech and he blasted the hill with a quick time. Good Stuff

Eddie I will be ready for The Ridge.
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Very cool video Eddie.

Jeff, maybe we can get a few local guys ready. I know Kornacki is wanting to do more hill climbs as well.
Randal

That is a great hill. The surface looks fantastic.

It would take a bunch of runs up that puppy to start feeling like you were getting it right. So many corners so remember, i.e., the big ones are numbered, but there are so many in between. Anyway nice first run of the event.

Also that hill would suck up all the hp you could throw at it.

Come on down to Cascase Lakes for a run. We need more 914's.
Eddie914
Randall,

I would love to come to Cascade Lakes.

I need to set up for towing ... 8 hrs would be a lot more comfy in the family rig (ML430) than the teener.

What class do you run? Are you running a 4 or 6?

Cheers,

Eddie
stewteral
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 28 2011, 04:33 PM) *

Here is the schedule and Hoopa is back. Hoopa hasn't been run for a few years due to some difficuilty with the organizers, but it's one of the great hills, especially for hp cars.

I'm going to do at least 2 and maybe a few more depending upon the old racing budget.

Click to view attachment

Hey Randal,

I'd love to run a hillclimb, but live in SOCAL. Why aren't any run down here?

Thanks,
Terry
grantsfo
Here is my first time up Hoopa back in 2007. I was very tentative. Two years later in my Boxster with a stock 2480cc and 1000 lbs more I beat my 914 time by over a second. I got a lot braver! piratenanner.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-hE-e0oO4...be_gdata_player

I'm hauling the Z up to Hoopa as it should be very quick hillclimb car

Would love to see some fast 914s up there. Bring power!
Randal
QUOTE(stewteral @ Jan 9 2012, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 28 2011, 04:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey Randal,

I'd love to run a hillclimb, but live in SOCAL. Why aren't any run down here?

Thanks,
Terry

Actually there isn't a reason a hill climb couldn't be run in So Cal. You just have to find some BLM land, with a suitable hill and secure the use of such for a weekend.

FYI the guys up at Cascade know how to work with the BLM and could give you lots of pointers. That alone would be a good reason to make the trip up to Oregon and spend the weekend running Cascade. BTW Cascade is run right ove the Oregon border near Ashland.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 9 2012, 09:18 PM) *

Here is my first time up Hoopa back in 2007. I was very tentative. Two years later in my Boxster with a stock 2480cc and 1000 lbs more I beat my 914 time by over a second. I got a lot braver! piratenanner.gif

What a fine looking car that is !!! aktion035.gif
Randal
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 10 2012, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 9 2012, 09:18 PM) *

What a fine looking car that is !!! aktion035.gif

Why don't you show up Rob. We need some more 914's up there and it's down to you, me, Mike K. and a few others to hold up the side. We can call ourselves the old technology boys and girls. flag.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 11 2012, 08:42 AM) *

Why don't you show up Rob. We need some more 914's up there and it's down to you, me, Mike K. and a few others to hold up the side. We can call ourselves the old technology boys and girls. flag.gif

Randal would have to lose the fancy modern fuel injection system and all the high tech carbon fiber bits and Brit would have to lose the modern motor and suspension in his car for that name to fit. Lol! Rob has truly old school 914/6 built with time honored vintage parts that could have been purchased in the 80s. That twin plug carbed 2.5 liter motor has been built for decades by Porsche racers. Mikes car qualifies for vintage status too. They should think of having a vintage class for older cars like the 914s and 356s. That might encourage some more retired antique race cars to come out.

The car I'd love to see up there is Rob Boyntons GT2. I have talked to him about going there.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 12 2012, 04:32 AM) *

Randal would have to lose the fancy modern fuel injection system and all the high tech carbon fiber bits and Brit would have to lose the modern motor and suspension in his car for that name to fit. Lol! Rob has truly old school 914/6 built with time honored vintage parts that could have been purchased in the 80s. That twin plug carbed 2.5 liter motor has been built for decades by Porsche racers. Mikes car qualifies for vintage status too. They should think of having a vintage class for older cars like the 914s and 356s. That might encourage some more retired antique race cars to come out.

The car I'd love to see up there is Rob Boyntons GT2. I have talked to him about going there.

Rob's car would run the same class as myself up at Cascade. That is SPU (Super Production Under 3 liters). Now wouldn't that be fun, i.e. Rob running Cascade - especially if Rob let Grant drive his car. The more competition in the class the better; it would be a classic 4 vs 6 match up. The perfect vintage car (Rob's) vs a hybrid with all those those new technology pieces... idea.gif

I've been talking to Boynton for two years about Cascade. He might put a trip together and that would be fun. Maybe he'll bring Scott Fraser up to compete against Bill Cooper. Now that would be an event to watch. Bill is a great driver; you learn just by watching him take a corner, in the wet, faster than people take it in the dry.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 12 2012, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 12 2012, 04:32 AM) *

Rob's car would run the same class as myself up at Cascade. That is SPU (Super Production Under 3 liters). Now wouldn't that be fun, i.e. Rob running Cascade - especially if Rob let Grant drive his car. The more competition in the class the better; it would be a classic 4 vs 6 match up. The perfect vintage car (Rob's) vs a hybrid with all those those new technology pieces... idea.gif

I've been talking to Boynton for two years about Cascade. He might put a trip together and that would be fun. Maybe he'll bring Scott Fraser up to compete against Bill Cooper. Now that would be an event to watch. Bill is a great driver; you learn just by watching him take a corner, in the wet, faster than people take it in the dry.

Rob Boynton is a cool guy and his car is awesome. He's a pretty amazing driver as well. That would be a crazy car to watch do this. He has been coming up to the Pacwood Nationals the past few years and ran in the same class as I did.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 12 2012, 08:52 AM) *

Cant you run DOTR tires and run under 2.5 OSPU? Think that would be more competitive.

As much as I'd love to drive my old 914 I'm going to stick with the Z as my Hillclimb car. I have always wanted more power when hillclimbing. Carrying momentum only goes so far in Hillclimbing. Raw power or excellent power to weight ratio is where its at. The Z will be pretty darn quick for a street car. It should be making 350 WHP by the Hoopa event. If I get a blower on it by then It will make nearly 500 WHP. My old 914 was awesome track car but its peaky motor was hard to use at Hoopa. We either had to slow down and use 1st or lug 2nd gear - still plenty of excitement though so would encourage Rob to come on out!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 12 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Cant you run DOTR tires and run under 2.5 OSPU? Think that would be more competitive.

As much as I'd love to drive my old 914 I'm going to stick with the Z as my Hillclimb car. I have always wanted more power when hillclimbing. Carrying momentum only goes so far in Hillclimbing. Raw power or excellent power to weight ratio is where its at. The Z will be pretty darn quick for a street car. It should be making 350 WHP by the Hoopa event. If I get a blower on it by then It will make nearly 500 WHP. My old 914 was awesome track car but its peaky motor was hard to use at Hoopa. We either had to slow down and use 1st or lug 2nd gear - still plenty of excitement though so would encourage Rob to come on out!

Yeah, those Pike's Peak cars all seem to have plenty of HP on demand. blink.gif I wonder what it would be like to drive a car like that. Most powerful, torquie, car I've ever driven was an AX prepped Viper and the sheer power was amazing.
grantsfo
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jan 12 2012, 09:24 AM) *

Rob Boynton is a cool guy and his car is awesome. He's a pretty amazing driver as well. That would be a crazy car to watch do this. He has been coming up to the Pacwood Nationals the past few years and ran in the same class as I did.

Yeah I spent some time walking West Course at Nationals with him and funny enough topic came up again about Hoopa and Cascade. He'd love to do one but its a real commitment of time and very close to Packwood on the schedule. Us working folks can only get way for so many 4 day weekends. Hoopa is a real commitment of time and money. I think thats why its so poorly attended by people in the Bay Area. Its very much a small local event too. Not same level of prestige or attendance as a SCCA National Tour Event. Hoopa is lucky to see 50 cars. Its just a bunch of fun people running up a hill. High percentage of people walk away with a trophy or a new record if they have any driving talent. In fact one guy who drives Hoopa every year rotates to differnt classes just so he can have a record in as many classes as possible. T shirts list all the record holders. LOL! Of course year after I set a record they stopped event and no T Shirts. biggrin.gif

Again would be cool to get some more Porsche guys out for a couple Hillclimbs.
Randal
The two guys from Canada in the supercharged Mustang both had good runs at Cascade. One of them set the hill climb record for SM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcgOwkv66o

Hope you get that supercharger bolted on your Nissan Grant. Not sure if you would be running the same class as these guys, but I'll be up there chasing these guys.

I ran a 1:59 (new SPU record) with a thrown out run, they ran 1:55 (record) and 1:57 in 5 runs. Great competition.

Get that blower on Grant.

Can't wait for Cascade Lakes.

Very different than Hoopa, i.e., more European flavor and a great hill.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 13 2012, 06:24 PM) *

The two guys from Canada in the supercharged Mustang both had good runs at Cascade. One of them set the hill climb record for SM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcgOwkv66o

Hope you get that supercharger bolted on your Nissan Grant. Not sure if you would be running the same class as these guys, but I'll be up there chasing these guys.

I ran a 1:59 (new SPU record) with a thrown out run, they ran 1:55 (record) and 1:57 in 5 runs. Great competition.

Get that blower on Grant.

Can't wait for Cascade Lakes.

Very different than Hoopa, i.e., more European flavor and a great hill.

I would be SSM. So the Mustang is safe! Working on blower details this week. My car with extra 150 HP and torque will be scary. Drove 370z with kit that I'm looking at. Immediate throttle response that threw me into the seat and kept me pinned until I let off the go pedal! My car will be dang scary with HP! Its a lot heaveir than most SSM cars however It will have a ton of instant torque and HP in low RPM trange. Nice thing about 370 Z is they have suspension that can put down the power. Tranny's and drive train are very well designed as well so no real weakness with power upgrade and if I do lightweight flywheel and pullies the weight in the front stays the same.

I was faster in my old 175 WHP boxster than last SSM record car at Hoopa. I know the Z as it sits now is faster than that car. So should be fun.
6freak
If i can find time i would like to do a hill climb this year ..just so i can say i did it
MikeC smile.gif
grantsfo
Order placed! Whoo hoo!

http://youtu.be/RRpUC72wV8M
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 8 2012, 12:27 PM) *

Order placed! Whoo hoo!

http://youtu.be/RRpUC72wV8M

I love Stillen stuff. Had a bunch on my Maxima awhile ago.

Glad you getting the supercharger Grant. You can run against those guys with the supercharged Mustang up at Cascade Lakes. They will probably come down for Hoopa as well.

They run SSM.

If you're going to run at Hoopa and Cascade, or any hill climb for that matter, I'd sure be thinking about some internal stiffing, i.e., a complete cage. Can't be safe enough when running a hill climb, especially in a car with 500 rear wheel HP.

Also a cage would make that suspension work better, so a plus on both sides. Safety and suspension... good stuff.
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 7 2012, 02:10 PM) *

If i can find time i would like to do a hill climb this year ..just so i can say i did it
MikeC smile.gif

whats required to run....besides the norm for AX or track day
MikeC smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 8 2012, 07:39 PM) *

MikeC smile.gif

MikeC smile.gif

Pretty much SCCA rules. I noticed a number of sedans (Subi's) that were lightened, but didn't have cages. They did have 5 points belts and other safety stuff.

Check the websites for more information. http://www.nhahillclimb.org/Rules.html
6freak
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 8 2012, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 8 2012, 07:39 PM) *

MikeC smile.gif

MikeC smile.gif

Pretty much SCCA rules. I noticed a number of sedans (Subi's) that were lightened, but didn't have cages. They did have 5 points belts and other safety stuff.

Check the websites for more information. http://www.nhahillclimb.org/Rules.html

right on! thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.