Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: painter in portland
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
Hi.

Last year I hired a great body guy to teach me to paint and do some body work. We rebuilt two fenders and repaired some front-end damage and then painted (almost) the whole car to its original signal orange color. It was previously painted Nepal orange. I actually quite like Nepal orange but I wanted to make my car a period correct retro rebuild.

At the time the engine was in the car so we left the bay untouched. It's no longer in the car and I'd like to get the bay painted while the motor is out. The guy I worked with before can't take on any more projects and I'm curious to see if anyone knows who else could be recommended.

It's not a huge project, but I'm not up to doing it myself this time around.

Thanks!

-marcus
BKLA
Wade Delco - Delco hot rods in wilsonville.
Mr.242
Member here: JMMOTORSPORTS

Exit #40 off I-5 in Wa. He has my car now....Will be done at the end of this month.

Only seen his work on other cars and I'm impressed.

beerchug.gif
r3dplanet
Everyone, thanks for the leads. I'll make some calls today.

Much appreciated.

-marcus

steuspeed
I need some work done as well. I'm in the Portland area.
JRust
I'd recommend Jerry too! Guy does beautiful work agree.gif .

As far as you guys in Portland. I'm just a little south of you in Corvallis. I don't think I have met either of you. We'll have to get together & talk 914's one of these days smile.gif
PanelBilly
Another vote for Jerry. He knows out cars too
r3dplanet
Just checking in.

Based on the tip of a well respected member here at 914world and the Portland area, I had my 914 towed this morning to a place called Mayflower up by the airport. Name of Pete. He's quite familiar with the 914 and I find that comforting. I can't say anything one way or another about the quality of work, but he let me look around the shop and look at their other work without flinching.

My engine bay is in surprisingly good shape, but I also wanted to plan out swapping a floor pan and rear trunk plate and he seemed quite open to that.

Here's a tip that's already worked out: Budget Towing. A two man crew (perhaps brothers) with a very nice rig. Towed my car from Mt. Tabor to the airport for $50. That was a pleasant surprise and they were remarkably un-surly. Given the large amount of time I spend in tow trucks with the 914 on a flatbed, it was a really welcome departure from the norm.

-marcus
r3dplanet
Scratch that. Mayflower has, in fact, delivered the crappiest paint job I've ever seen.

There are little rocks and dusty bits under the paint along with chips, runs, drips, and any other errors you could imagine. They didn't even clean or mask the parts I have gave them (air intake and runners), and it was clearly shot outdoors.

I could have done a better job myself by pouring the paint into my mouth and spitting it out.

Looking at their other work its clear that they could have done a great job, but its equally clear that they just didn't take my project seriously.

Fair warning, Portlanders, fair warning.

-marcus

JRust
QUOTE(spankmeister7 @ Jan 10 2012, 11:39 AM) *

Scratch that. Mayflower has, in fact, delivered the crappiest paint job I've ever seen.

There are little rocks and dusty bits under the paint along with chips, runs, drips, and any other errors you could imagine. They didn't even clean or mask the parts I have gave them (air intake and runners), and it was clearly shot outdoors.

I could have done a better job myself by pouring the paint into my mouth and spitting it out.

Looking at their other work its clear that they could have done a great job, but its equally clear that they just didn't take my project seriously.

Fair warning, Portlanders, fair warning.

-marcus

Damn bud sad.gif . I hope you left it there to be fixed. I have had my own nightmare with a paint job. I will never use the guy again. Unless you are very clear & have it in writing. I'd say you are screwed. Hopefully they will make it right for you. If not clean it up & bring it down. I just did the trunks in my car. While I wouldn't classify them as concours. They came out pretty nice. You are welcome to come down & do it at my place. I used my enclosed trailer to do it so I could control the temp. My barn just wouldn't get warm enough. Shoot me a PM & we can figure out a time.- Jamie
mepstein
Soon everyone will be shipping their cars to Scotty B.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.