Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pedal board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underdog
I need to replace pedal board. WOOD OR ALUMINUM?
infraredcalvin
Are you going to cover it up with carpet? If so just get a cheap wood one. If not and/or prefer the racer look go with a cool drilled alum one. Depends on $$$ and looks. A wood one in good shape will last plenty long.
ww914
I agree, if you are going to re-carpet, just use the old one as a template.
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(underdog @ Dec 29 2011, 10:26 AM) *

I need to replace pedal board. WOOD OR ALUMINUM?

It is my preference to replace it once and never worry about it again, even 20 years later. That's why I have always replaced them with Aluminum. The rennline ones are pretty good, but you could probably cut your own if you have a good bandsaw handy.
dlestep
Aluminum will not absorb water, whether you have carpet or not.
De-populate the pedal board and take it to a lazer cutter and have them replicate
it in aluminum with the correct perimeter, mounting holes and slots, and pedal
cutouts.
I defined the laser tool path in Solidworks and sent it to the shop to be cut and
clear anodized.
I used a 1/8 inch thick strip of solid rubber sheet (1 x 12 in., on left side and
a smaller piece on the center hump.
I mounted a new billet throttle stop base and new white Delrin stop screw.
(for the moment, I forgot where I purchased it, but I will continue to look, and pass it on.)
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TurbOH Brad
That looks great. Do you still have the Solidworks file?

QUOTE(dlestep @ Dec 29 2011, 08:06 PM) *

Aluminum will not absorb water, whether you have carpet or not.
De-populate the pedal board and take it to a lazer cutter and have them replicate
it in aluminum with the correct perimeter, mounting holes and slots, and pedal
cutouts.
I defined the laser tool path in Solidworks and sent it to the shop to be cut and
clear anodized.
I used a 1/8 inch thick strip of solid rubber sheet (1 x 12 in., on left side and
a smaller piece on the center hump.
I mounted a new billet throttle stop base and new white Delrin stop screw.
(for the moment, I forgot where I purchased it, but I will continue to look, and pass it on.)
dlestep
I have to look on my old computer, the pedal board was done in 2008.
underthetire
I had an aluminum one fall off the waterjet biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Jeff,
With your skill set I would just make one out of wood. Aluminum which is what I have, is great for performance driving but probably not needed for the street. Actually, not sure if I kept my original but it was in great shape. dry.gif
cwpeden
How does Aluminum improve performance while driving? confused24.gif av-943.gif
dlestep
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 31 2011, 04:22 AM) *

The aluminum pedal board doesn't improve performance, I just like to know
that in a couple of years it won't be rotting. (VWs had metal pedal boards.)
I don't like the wooden pedal board nor the expanding foam that the Porsche
factory used in the worst possible places in the 911 and the 914 bodies during
the 70s.
I removed them from the '72 911 and the '73 and '74 914s that I've owned.

In fact, when I'm "gettin' it" I remove everything that I can, the electric motors,
(headlight, fresh air and heater along with all heater and fresh air hoses);
the pedal board; all the crap in the trunks (spare tire, spare clutch cable,
spare throttle cable and fuses); sunglasses, pens, paper, and that small collection
of miscellaneous small screws and nuts from the glovebox;
license plate and bracket; wiper arms; that two ton heat shield over where
the muffler used to be; rubber trunk mat and carpet, jack and tool bag;
the possibles bag with two quarts of spare oil, spare electric fuel pump, wire
crimpers and a few wire terminals and spare relays; and the arm rests from
the doors; even removed the center tray, lighter and the ash tray in preparation.
(almost forgot to mention the back pad and passenger belt.)

Even though they may be light by comparison, singularly, collectively it's almost
equal in weight of a passenger.
...whew...I'm tired just typing it.
rohar
I hate wood, but I'm a CSOB. Grabbed a couple of pieces of fiberglass sheet from the local home improvement place, (panels, not fabric) and laminated them together with a bit of epoxy. Then used the wood as a template and cut it out with a jigsaw. It's in a box in the shop after moving, I'll see if I can't find it and post some pics.

All told, cost like $20
ConeDodger
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 31 2011, 01:22 AM) *

Ever had a cable snap or broken a clutch tube? It has a serious effect on performance and is more likely to happen while you are flogging the car than driving to your grandma's house. The wooden ones flex pretty good even in good shape.

This is right from Mark's (Engman) website:The old wooden board is most likely rotten or at least flexing by now. The flex is one of the major contributors to clutch tube failure. Replace it now with this .25" 6061 laser cut aluminum board. It bolts right into the old location using the existing hardware. Simply transfer your old pedal and clutch stop over to the new board. You will not find a better price and I'll even include the shipping.
Harpo
I just ordered a new aluminum one from renline. I forgot that Engman carried them.

David
underdog
Engman's site says aluminum is not available right now. He does'nt answer email
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.