Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's this thng for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Oil bath air cleaner. has this rectangle flapper that has a counter balance wieght on it. Seems from racing yesterday it was blocking off the PCV vent to the intake. Oil seemed to still find the path of least resistance and leaked out of the hose connected to the PCV and the cork gasket between the filler/breather box and case What a mess.
SLITS
It 's to keep weak mice out of your intake. The stronger ones just push through.

or

It's to keep the good air in and not let the bad air out

or

It creates turbulence in the incoming air

or

It's part of the archaic warm air system fitted to cars in very cold climates.

or

???????????????
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 23 2004, 07:40 PM)

bingo ...
SLITS
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 23 2004, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 23 2004, 07:40 PM)

bingo ...

Ahh Andy, I liked the other answers better. Since you made me fess up, I'll explain the principle laugh.gif

On start up, the air velocity would be low, causing the flapper to stay in a closed position, thereby drawing warm air off the HEs. As the throttle is opened, the velocity of cold air overcomes the counterweight and restricts the flow of warm air.

Then figuring in the density of warm air vs cold air.............., idea.gif

What do I win?
Joe Ricard
You win another one of what ever you are smoking. idea.gif Well since it made a mess it has to go. At least till I make a few redline runs to see what happens now. Pretty tough to do on the street. Matbe just leave it in 2nd all the way to work. Rise and shine all ya'll. BBWWWHHHAAAAAAAAA
SLITS
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 23 2004, 08:06 PM)
You win another one of what ever you are smoking. dry.gif There is no provision for air to be taken in off the HE's. So Maybe it is a mouse preventer after all idea.gif Well since it made a mess it has to go. At least till I make a few redline runs to see what happens now. Pretty tough to do on the street. Matbe just leave it in 2nd all the way to work. Rise and shine all ya'll. BBWWWHHHAAAAAAAAA

On some cars, there was an elbow/j-tube coming off the HEs through the tin for that purpose.

You can also check page 41 of your Haynes Manual (if you have one).

I think I will have another smoke.gif
Joe Ricard
Well while you are at it give me one smoke.gif Ya got a haynes and factory set of books. HMM maybe I should read it again????? Is it me or do the factory manuals jump all over the place concerning the obscure little things I can't figure for myself.

Didn't drive today as I decided to do a valve check and brake vent clearance without burning out of my arms. Got to get up under and clean oil soaked road grime too. wacko.gif
watsonrx13
Joe, if it's for heat take it out, you got enough heat in MS already.... biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea tell me about it. Never did stop sweating tonight. Just got the car put back in the garage. Set venting clearance rear brakes. Q: Why does this always seems to take so long. ans: Because it is hot never seen two car with same size inner screw. Can't see it so I ended up taking caliper off to get it right so I didn't strip anything. Actually these were all screwed up one pad loose one pad tight and dragging. idea.gif same on the other side. blink.gif Anyway it is time to watch hot chicks play beach volley ball.. Yes the USA girls are HOT. No need to vote that one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.