Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail light nubby
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
I'm reworking the tail light socket on a donor fender before cutting out a section and grafting into my car. My sockets are basically sculpted from Bondo and are smooth on the bottom ledge but the "good" fender has sort of a nub which looks like it would hold the plastic tail light assembly up against the top of the socket. Is this thing supposed to be here?

Click to view attachment

SLITS
Of the 5 cars I have here, none of them have that nub.
scotty b
no
Krieger
I've never seen one.
messix
fender from a 75/76 car?
nub holds bub on top edge.
dlestep
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 29 2011, 07:58 PM) *

fender from a 75/76 car?

WTF is a bub ? I know a few BOBs, and I dated a girl that played the OBO,
but I never heard of, nor met a BUB.
messix
QUOTE(dlestep @ Dec 29 2011, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Dec 29 2011, 07:58 PM) *

fender from a 75/76 car?

WTF is a bub ? I know a few BOBs, and I dated a girl that played the OBO,
but I never heard of, nor met a BUB.

BIG UGLY BUMPERS slap.gif
TargaToy
Yes, it's a 75 car. Does this mean that the tail light sockets in the rear section are a bit wider (top to bottom) than the earlier cars that didn't need the nub to hold the bumpers?

I have no frame of reference if somebody wouldn't mind grabbing me a measurement.
windforfun
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Dec 29 2011, 07:11 PM) *

Yes, it's a 75 car. Does this mean that the tail light sockets in the rear section are a bit wider (top to bottom) than the earlier cars that didn't need the nub to hold the bumpers?

I have no frame of reference if somebody wouldn't mind grabbing me a measurement.

"73 is 105 mm.
TargaToy
Gracias!
SLITS
Two of the chassis are '75-'76 and they don't have the nub.

The others are a '73 & two '74s and they don't have it either.
TargaToy
So what the heck is it? I don't have any experience with the 75/76 cars except that I bought this one as a donor and its bumpers and tail lights had already been stripped when I found it.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Dec 29 2011, 03:02 PM) *

I'm reworking the tail light socket on a donor fender before cutting out a section and grafting into my car. My sockets are basically sculpted from Bondo and are smooth on the bottom ledge but the "good" fender has sort of a nub which looks like it would hold the plastic tail light assembly up against the top of the socket. Is this thing supposed to be here?

Click to view attachment

That my friends is called a "Unentschieden"

There were two kinds used on the 914. One looked like a raised rivet head and the later was more of a raised pellet. Many of the cars do not have them at all. The first time I actually realized they were a factory part and not a piece that someone forgot clip off was when I saw a new quarter panel.

A small piece of friction tape was used on the top of the head to keep the tailite housing positioned up properly.

BKLA
Wow... Sometimes the knowledge base here freaks me out! Every day I learn I know more about less and less.

Well done!
914werke
Hmmm ..Id never seen it before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.