Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New car broke down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
Decided to drive the new 74 to Auburn today, didn't make it home died on interstate 80 just passed Sierra college blvd. Smart guy that I am didn't bring any tools or even a flashlight, so I'm standing here waiting for AAA to tow it home.
Hope everyone else is having a better day

Jeff
reharvey
QUOTE(jsconst @ Dec 29 2011, 08:48 PM) *

Decided to drive the new 74 to Auburn today, didn't make it home died on interstate 80 just passed Sierra college blvd. Smart guy that I am didn't bring any tools or even a flashlight, so I'm standing here waiting for AAA to tow it home.
Hope everyone else is having a better day

Jeff

Wow - Tuff luck - I've had a few tow truck rides with my 914s so I know how you feel. Hope it's nothing serious. Ray
914.SBC
Damn it that sucks. I know the feeling oh so well. Thank goodness for the AAA card.

Your New Year celebration will be great so dont worry about it.

Do you have any idea what happened.
underthetire
I know your pain. My fuel pump broke off the rubber mounts on the bay bridge. Coasted off the freeway to a condom infested street barf.gif . I was able to get it going again, since I carry tools, wire, tape, etc.
JStroud
Not really sure what happen yet, filled up with gas pulled on the freeway then no power coast to the side. So noisy can't hear the fuel pump and no flashlight so just called AAA..... Wish they'd get here..and ironically I'm looking at the Porsche dealership standing here!
iPhones are great
Jeff
underthetire
QUOTE(jsconst @ Dec 29 2011, 06:11 PM) *

Not really sure what happen yet, filled up with gas pulled on the freeway then no power coast to the side. So noisy can't hear the fuel pump and no flashlight so just called AAA..... Wish they'd get here..and ironically I'm looking at the Porsche dealership standing here!
iPhones are great
Jeff

Time to download the flashlight app for you I phone!
914.SBC
Well be careful on the freeway.

If you have an Iphone download a flash light application. They work really good..
Elliot Cannon
Bummer. sad.gif Sorry you've had trouble. Make up a little tool kit and carry it with you always. But I'm guessing you've already done that. driving.gif
JStroud
Got the car home and back in the garage, looks like the fuel pump quit working. Not sure if it's the pump or electrical related. Dinner and a shower then maybe I'll have a look.

And yes Elliot, it's time to put together a tool kit, with a flashlight.
(I have an old iPhone, flashlight app won't work on it)
Didn't have a need before this week neither of them ran before now.

Jeff
biosurfer1
ahhh...sorry Jeff. Didn't see this until right now, you were only a couple miles away from me. I could have brought tools or whatever else you might have needed.

Good luck sorting everything out
JRust
Did you check the fuse on the relay board?
JStroud
Got a chance to poke around poke.gif checked fuses and relay but no power to the pump. Guess I'll have to tear into it this weekend and see if its another broken wire (found a few already) or the pump went out. Guess a tool kit and flashlight wouldn't have saved me this time....but I'm still putting one in...next time it runs.

Took a few pictures...had time

Click to view attachment

My view

Click to view attachment

yah, the tow truck

Click to view attachment

So much for saving fuel and driving the 914 to work...guess its back to the big ugly work truck....for now.

Jeff
cwpeden
Check the contacts for the relay. Same thing happened to me, I thought I had a bad relay but it was the socket. Had corrosion, even though it looked good with my Blackberry flashlight tongue.gif
stuttgart46
First time that happened to me it was my relay.
Good looking car. Probably the neatest thing the tow truck driver has got to haul in a while.
SUNAB914
Probably just a simple short in the fuel wires.
76-914
You'll need this then........ http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm
JStroud
Thanks, hadn't seen that one before, very nice. I'm sure it will come in handy.
It's amazing the information and knowledge that can be found here.

Thanks everyone,

I'll have to check the relay socket before I go to work.

Jeff

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 30 2011, 06:58 AM) *

JStroud

Well we have a winner, cleaned out the relay sockets on the board, plugged in the relay...fuel pump running.....engine started piratenanner.gif

cwpeden your my new best friend!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, guess it's time to clean all the connections.

Well you just made my day, now I can go to work and think about work.

Thanks again,
Jeff

(it's always the little things)

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 30 2011, 01:36 AM) *

Check the contacts for the relay. Same thing happened to me, I thought I had a bad relay but it was the socket. Had corrosion, even though it looked good with my Blackberry flashlight tongue.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(jsconst @ Dec 30 2011, 07:47 AM) *

Well we have a winner, cleaned out the relay sockets on the board, plugged in the relay...fuel pump running.....engine started piratenanner.gif

cwpeden your my new best friend!!!

Well you just made my day, now I can go to work and think about work.

Thanks again,
Jeff

(it's always the little things)

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 30 2011, 01:36 AM) *

You might take a look at the relay board itself too Jeff... I had a problem at a two day autocross in Santa Rosa. Drove to the event, registered, car quits running. Fool around with it, get it running, drive to Mark's shop. Fool around with it, put an old spare pertronixs unit he had in it, runs better. Back to the hotel, bad delivery pizza, good nights sleep, car kills on the way to the event. Tow to Mark's shop, we swap out the relay board with another he had and discover that mine has green corrosion coming out of cracks on its underside. $200 something for two nights in the hotel, $100 or so for gas, number of autocross runs - 0.

Note to you business minded guys: We need someone to remanufacture these boards. They are going to get worse...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 30 2011, 08:25 AM) *
We need someone to remanufacture these boards.

Last time i checked (which was a few years back) they were still available new from Porsche.

I know because i bought one.
biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsconst @ Dec 30 2011, 07:47 AM) *

This is probably stating the obvious, but make sure you disconnect the battery before you do any cleaning work on the electrical system.

bye1.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 30 2011, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 30 2011, 08:25 AM) *
We need someone to remanufacture these boards.

Last time i checked (which was a few years back) they were still available new from Porsche.

I know because i bought one.
biggrin.gif

Rich Bontempi also has a source as I got one for my car before I completely switch all the wiring and added the Link ECU.

I either still have the rebuilt relay board or McMark has it.
JStroud
Good idea, I'll check the board out while I have it out cleaning the connections.

Ya Andy probably a good idea to disconnect the battery, don't need to cause more electrical issues.

Thanks again everyone for all the great suggestions

Jeff
laflaur
Hey Jeff,
I just saw this post,I live in Rocklin and would usually be able to help in a pinch.
My number is (916)768-9146 feel free to call me if you need anything in the future.
John
JStroud
Thanks John, appreciate the offer, and back at you, I live near Galt off 99, my contact info is on my website in my signature

Thanks again everyone, see how great this site is!!!

Jeff

QUOTE(laflaur @ Dec 30 2011, 09:42 AM) *

Hey Jeff,
I just saw this post,I live in Rocklin and would usually be able to help in a pinch.
My number is (916)768-9146 feel free to call me if you need anything in the future.
John

cwpeden
Glad I could help, now if memory serves me right I did end up changing out the relay board.

I fear the fix may be temporary, as it was for me. Take short trips... wink.gif

I think the problem was between the relay and the fuse. Water had gotten in between the plastic board and the tar.
JStroud
Well I took my relay board out to clean/check it out. Not pretty, some corrosion, but big chunks of tar missing on the bottom. The relay board from the 75 I'm restoring now was in much better condition, so I installed that one instead. Have to look into having this one rebuilt before the 75 is done. FYI PP has new relay boards for sale, only $481.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So since I got caught without a flashlight or tools, I thought it would be a good time to put together a tool kit from some old tools I had laying around, plus a few spare parts from the old relay board and a recent tune up. Did I miss anything?

Click to view attachment

For those of you that thought it wouldn't all fit, not pretty, but its all in there.

Click to view attachment

Now I think I'll put the new tool kit in the car and go for my first drive of the new year! driving.gif

Happy New Year Everyone

Jeff
Elliot Cannon
While delivering the Screaming Yellow Zonker to it's new owner last July sad.gif , leaving Tahachapi the engine just quit. No sputter or jerking around, it just QUIT. Turned out to be corrosion in the DME relay socket. Now when I have an electrical problem, the first thing I think is corrosion. Your tool kit looks great. I always carry a spare clutch and throttle cable, especially on an event like the WCR or route 66 run. If I don't need it someone else just might. Spare relays and voltage regulator are also good to carry. And if you have one a spare alternator might not be a bad idea as well. biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jan 1 2012, 11:45 AM) *
Have to look into having this one rebuilt before the 75 is done.

There's a detailed thread here somewhere on how to rebuild them. Complete with re-soldering all the through connections and applying new tar.

shades.gif
SirAndy
Found it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4940

beerchug.gif
cwpeden
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 1 2012, 12:26 PM) *

I always carry a spare clutch and throttle cable, especially on an event like the WCR or route 66 run. If I don't need it someone else just might.

I keep my spare throttle and clutch cable coiled up in the spare tire. A hand full of nuts and bolts too. Just cause I always have leftovers when working on the car blink.gif I never know what might fall off.....nevermind I saw your bag of fasteners
messix
a section of parachute cord long enough to reach for a throttle. ask Dan Root about hanging head down into the engine compartement to work the throttle while his son drove the car home!

jumper cables or a jumpbox.

vise grips, they have many uses, clamping off burst brake line is one and leaking fuel line another.
Lennies914
Jeff,
I've got a couple spare relay boards. Let me know if you need one.
Lennie
ConeDodger
I think PP and AA are always Porsche SRP. If you are a PCA member you can get 20% off SRP at the dealership...
VaccaRabite
Some fine emory paper and zip ties should be added in.
for wrenches, you can leave most of those at home. You only need the 10, 12, 13, 15 and 17 in normal sizes and also a stubby set of wrenches.

Ditch the allen wrenches, and use allen sockets instead. You will thank me for that if you ever need to use them roadside.

For your sockets, you don't need the 1/4 inch drive set. Stick with the 3/8s inch.

You need a pair of vise-grips!

I'd add a second set of batteries for the flashlight (lights tend to be dead when you need them), and get an LED head light instead of a hand held flash light.

Finally, an old Haynes manual, with color copies of the electric schematic for your car inserted into that section.

Zach
JStroud
Thanks for the link Andy, that will come in handy. biggrin.gif

Some great suggestions, thought about the clutch and accelerator cables, I'll add those after I put the new ones in the 75,(carry the old ones). Vise grip I'll have to pick up, didn't want to take from my garage tools. My goal is now that I have it to never actually need it. I can hear the laughter already.

Well now it's time for another drive to pick up a stereo for the 74, I'm tired of looking at a black hole and hearing nothing but wind.

Happy new year
Jeff
pnewman
I am not sure if their is a topic of a EMERGENCY KIT / Must HAVE'S FOR A ROAD TRIP.

Perhaps we can start one.

I keep a spare relay and fuse on my relay board labeled "spare" so as to not pull the wrong ones. That and yes a flash light in the glove box is a good start.

I like the Tool bag Idea. I think that I will put one in my front trunk by the spare. I have a 1.8 ltr and would add a double relay too.

Good Luck!
JStroud
Thanks Lennie I'll keep that in mind. Hey how's your project coming, are you going to be working on it tomorrow? I might be looking for somewhere to take a drive to.

Jeff

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jan 1 2012, 02:19 PM) *

Jeff,
Lennie

JStroud
Well I thought I'd give an update, after changing the relay board I haven't had any electrical issues, and actually my tach is rock steady now. Car is running very well now, took it on a few short trips over the weekend, then said what the hell, and drove it to work every day this week piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif

My work 914......Maybe have to build a 914 truck next.

Click to view attachment

Hope everyones having a good day, and thanks everyone for helping me get my car back on the road. aktion035.gif

Time for a driving.gif

Jeff
Gint
Grats.

The crap I've hauled in a 914... You can put some big stuff in the passenger seat with the top off.
euro911
Didn't I see a pic of you hauling a Christmas Tree in one of your cars, Mike?
bigkensteele
I will also add barrel nuts to my kit. I was out for a spin yesterday when my throttle went to the floor. Luckily, I was on a downhill back-road with nobody behind me. I was able to coast it down the hill until there was a good place to pull off. The cable had pulled out of the barrel nut on the TB. I was fortunate that the nut stayed in place rather than dropping down where I would never find it on the side of the road. Had it fixed in 5 minutes.
dlestep
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 30 2011, 11:25 AM) *

Note to you business minded guys: We need someone to remanufacture these boards. They are going to get worse...

The photo shows "normal average condition" relay board (underside).
The major cause of problem appears after sheet metal screws holding the
voltage regulator bite and crack the hardened original podding compound.
Click to view attachment
I would suggest the following: Recondition your relay board yourself.
Pick out the broken podding and expose all the metal traces.
Physically remove all the corrosion from each trace.
Chemically clean them as well with a good contact cleaner. Electricity flows near
or at surface, not in the core of the material.
Ensure that no traces cross or touch each other. "Ring-out" all electrical runs with an ohm meter.
If you have a stuborn trace that wants to touch neighboring traces, use a non-
conductive material, (wood, plastic) as a spacer to separate them.
Use podding compound, (readily available at any electrical shop.)
Pour podding compound slowly over the entire bottom of the relay board,
ensuring all metal surfaces are covered.
Allow to cure.
Replace the voltage regulator's original pointed sheet metal mounting screws with
flat bottomed phillips head machine screws and nuts.
I've refurbished four of these boards in the same manner and I never have been
attacked by gremlins again.
JStroud
QUOTE(dlestep @ Jan 7 2012, 07:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Chemically clean them as well with a good contact cleaner. Electricity flows near
Ensure that no traces cross or touch each other. "Ring-out" all electrical runs with an ohm meter.
Allow to cure.
Replace the voltage regulator's original pointed sheet metal mounting screws with

Thanks for the detailed instructions, with this and the link Andy posted rebuilding the relay board should be a doable project.

Thanks
Jeff
ClayPerrine
On the subject of carrying spare throttle and clutch cables...

Make sure you have ALL the hardware too. Barrel nuts, clutch clevis and the 7mm nylock nut, cable ends, etc. Remember, when the clutch cable breaks, it usually breaks between the pulley and the clutch arm. So that part of the cable drops down on the road, never to be seen again. And it has teh 7mm nut and the clutch clevis attached. hissyfit.gif So if you don't have spares, even with another cable you are not going anywhere.

Lennies914
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jan 1 2012, 08:27 PM) *

Thanks Lennie I'll keep that in mind. Hey how's your project coming, are you going to be working on it tomorrow? I might be looking for somewhere to take a drive to.

Jeff

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jan 1 2012, 02:19 PM) *

Jeff,
Lennie

Sorry Jeff, I just read your response. I'm working on it every night and weekend, I painted it Friday night. Now the fun begins of swapping over all the parts.
If you decide to go for a drive just shoot me a pm.
JFJ914
QUOTE(dlestep @ Jan 7 2012, 10:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Allow to cure.

So, how do you clean them so you can solder????? Details please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.